View Single Post
Old October 11th 21, 14:03   #19
Recoil
First One

Re: A thread about the future of B5TV

Great post Anthony, and it's great seeing some of the old names in this thread and others. I'm definitely glad to see this forum still kicking around, and that it will be here for this new series. It will certainly be my go-to for discussions.

Similar to you, I was a bit skeptical when I saw this new series was going to be a reboot, but my skepticism lasted quite a bit less than yours I would think...probably the span of minutes or a couple hours, as I wrapped my head around it. At the end of the day, what you said rang true for me too: JMS is JMS. B5 is his baby and he will do right by it. It's going to be about us fans having the right expectations IMO. People expecting it to be "like" OG B5 may be disappointed. I'm not sure it needs to be the same, in fact, it may be better if it isn't. Being in the frame of mind to NOT compare the two series I think will be key.

This will be a new story, perhaps with some familiarity, and I think that's what I'm looking forward to most after all these years.

I do disagree about Sci-Fi being a "shadow" of it's former self. All the new Trek is pretty much rubbish, but for me, "The Expanse" has been the current Gold Standard for Sci-Fi for me the last few years and I love it. It's an amazing book series and the show has done a great job of converting it to television. I'm also hopeful about "Foundation" (although admittedly that's not an original work). I like what I've seen so far on Apple TV.

I think a new JMS story will fit in well, and there's clearly a need for good Sci-Fi. Hopefully the audience finds the show.