• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A thread about the future of B5TV

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
As JMS takes a step into a new river, not being the same person, I understand completely.

When I created this site in 2001 - 20 years ago eesh - I was already late to the B5 party. The site was B5LR.com - B5 Legend of the Rangers. I was a new fan and wanted to promote this new series. Creating community is hard, but it literally took off in a week. I don't know how, that's just how it worked in the internet of old. It's a time we looked for commonality, rather that what divides us perhaps.

This was a time when there was no Twitter, no Facebook and Google was still an upstart.

JMS learned of the site and told the cast and most of them joined and contributed, it was just fantastic. While Legend of the Rangers never made it, I cherish this moment that the fans and cast came together.

I have made life-long friends from this site, having met some of them in person over the years. It's fair to say, as a site, it's died off... but there are bonds here that have not been broken.

I considered closing the forums at one point but thankfully I didn't. I then moved on to thinking that I will preserve these forums as a testament to the sure human brilliance that was the original B5. We have lost SO many great people from this show and I want to preserve some of their impact.

Now, we have the curveball of a new show! I went from being dismissive, to sceptical to okay... quite up for this in the space of two days. JMS is JMS. He says stuff, I believe him. He makes me believe. And quite frankly in this world we live in 20 years later, I want to believe.

Modern sci-fi has abandoned its purpose. It was meant to broaden minds, challenge and inspire. Take the issues of the day, but use them as an allegory and raise us up.

I look to things like modern Star Trek and it has none of the intelligence or nuance to do this. It's angry people with angry and scared minds and it shows. I can't remember the last time I was inspired by sci-fi.

That's a big ask for the new B5, but I don't think in anything I've seen or read from JMS since that he will be that "Argh let's cut ourselves life is shit" TV that seems to be the norm now. He may be just what the doctor ordered for sci-fi...

So... the future of B5TV. I have, for a while, thought about upgrading the site. I don't see myself going back to news reporting. I would love to, but that guy that spent hours building a site 20 years ago isn't the guy I am now.

Partially because of my life. I have one, my PC is not my main focus. I don't have the energy or inclination. It's not even financially appealing. Back then you could do advertising and referral links and make a nice income that warrants it. Now Google and the other big giants have made the internet a very inhospitable place for content creators.

But I pledge, at least, to give the forums a new lick of paint.

Babylon is ready to rise again. And this site will be there.

Thanks for keeping the site alive, Antony. I know I have posted very infrequently over the last couple of decades (eesh, indeed), but I have very fond memories of this place. This site has always been THE place to come to for B5 discussion. And I look forward to (hopefully) discussing new episodes going forward :)

Having been here from Day 1, it is a wonderful thing to have the legacy of this place available to both new viewers of the old series as well as a place for us to come when the new series starts.

I, too, have made friends from participating here having met quite a few old-timers in person. I actually encountered Antony in a Yahoo Group for Farscape. He asked "would anyone be interested in a forum for Babylon 5 Legend of the Rangers?" I was one of many who enthusiastically said "YES!!"

There have been quite a few times over the last decade or so that this place could have been shut down. I am glad that those of us that have not gone beyond the Rim can gather again and wonder at whatever JMS comes up with.

I have a friend who'd like to register but he says registration is closed?

I checked the settings and it appears that we are open for new registrations. Let me know if there are still problems.

I'm almost as old as Markas when it comes to being a member here. I don't want to say that he's like Lorien.....cause I think honor should go to Antony since he created this site. :D

But All these years I have still been here......mostly babbling with CBO in Babbleon. Great Maker, I'm used to him now. :eek: :LOL:

But yeah, it's nice to see activity here again. :cool:

I was sceptical when I saw this news - still am, to be honest. But I have no doubt that JMS has things in mind that would make a reboot interesting and worth, at the very least, giving a try to.

So ... I guess I'm back here too. For those who remember me. It's been, uh, a few years, but it's nice to be back. :)

I went from being dismissive, to sceptical to okay... quite up for this in the space of two days.

I went through feeling something similar in about the same timeframe. Still somewhat cautious, but this should be a fun ride.

With the forum upgrade, will we keep our member profiles and post counts, or will we all have to re-register and start at 0 posts?

I was sceptical when I saw this news - still am, to be honest. But I have no doubt that JMS has things in mind that would make a reboot interesting and worth, at the very least, giving a try to.

So ... I guess I'm back here too. For those who remember me. It's been, uh, a few years, but it's nice to be back. :)

*Waves at Kribu* It certainly has been a long time. I hope you have been well.

Yay!! It's nice to see you! I have thought about you from time to time and wondered how you are doing.

*Waves at Kribu* It certainly has been a long time. I hope you have been well.

Yay!! It's nice to see you! I have thought about you from time to time and wondered how you are doing.

*waves back*

I've thought about you guys as well!
Unfortunately I lost my FB login data years ago (and no attempts at regaining it worked, not even sending in a photo of an official ID) and haven't even been able to check in there.

Not much has changed in my life, heh.

Anyway, I do hope this reboot works - and that it will bring some new life here, too. I've missed this place, and in spite of how much online life has changed in the last 20 years, I still think forums / message boards are the best platform for actual conversations and discussions.

Anyway, I do hope this reboot works - and that it will bring some new life here, too. I've missed this place, and in spite of how much online life has changed in the last 20 years, I still think forums / message boards are the best platform for actual conversations and discussions.

I have noticed that conversations are really short and not very two-way in social media. B5TV captured something very special and I do kind of miss the earlier days.

Kribu, now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time. Wait, wrong franchise.

Welcome back!

Great post Anthony, and it's great seeing some of the old names in this thread and others. I'm definitely glad to see this forum still kicking around, and that it will be here for this new series. It will certainly be my go-to for discussions.

Similar to you, I was a bit skeptical when I saw this new series was going to be a reboot, but my skepticism lasted quite a bit less than yours I would think...probably the span of minutes or a couple hours, as I wrapped my head around it. At the end of the day, what you said rang true for me too: JMS is JMS. B5 is his baby and he will do right by it. It's going to be about us fans having the right expectations IMO. People expecting it to be "like" OG B5 may be disappointed. I'm not sure it needs to be the same, in fact, it may be better if it isn't. Being in the frame of mind to NOT compare the two series I think will be key.

This will be a new story, perhaps with some familiarity, and I think that's what I'm looking forward to most after all these years.

I do disagree about Sci-Fi being a "shadow" of it's former self. All the new Trek is pretty much rubbish, but for me, "The Expanse" has been the current Gold Standard for Sci-Fi for me the last few years and I love it. It's an amazing book series and the show has done a great job of converting it to television. I'm also hopeful about "Foundation" (although admittedly that's not an original work). I like what I've seen so far on Apple TV.

I think a new JMS story will fit in well, and there's clearly a need for good Sci-Fi. Hopefully the audience finds the show.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back