• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Crusade: What the Hell Happened?"

Jan

Regular
I know at least one person over here has been waiting for the Crusade books to come out. The first of the 4 volume set will be available on Wed. Aug. 25 at 10:00 AM Pacific time.

Why four books when it was supposed to be three? Check out B5Books.com for more information and to see the cover of the first book.

This is gonna be good!

Jan

Since this is about books related to Babylon 5/Crusade, I I'm going to move this thread to the B5.related forum instead of having it here in the B5.personnel.

I may have missed it - has the price been announced?
They mentioned they found a lot of interesting stuff in the warehouse. Is there any chance that original CGI files were found, and that the DVDs can get a proper make-over?

EDIT: Sorry, I misread. It isn't for sale for $10 the first 7 days. It's for sale 10 dollars cheaper the first 7 days. The regular price has not been announced yet.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure it'll be the same as the rest: $29-ish for the first week and $39-ish after that.

Jan

That's great. I read on the site that you get 10 dollars off for subscribing to the email newsletter. Is that on top of the discount for the first week?

No, sorry, there's no additional discount for subscribing. The intent is that if you subscribe to the email alerts you'll always know about the releases in time to take advantage of the debut discount even if you don't see any of the online announcements that I (and others) run around posting.

Jan

From the product description at Cafe Press, this sounds like a bunch of interviews, unused scripts, and a various hodgepodge of stuff related to the show and its airing.

I'm wondering if there will ever be actual novels continuing the story line and whatever arcs JMS envisioned within it. I have just started watching the show for the first time ever, just the first two episodes so far (I'm going to try to watch this just a little at a time, to savor it as much as possible because there are only 13 eps), after having read the Technomage Trilogy and become familiar with the fascinating character Galen. Stylistically it looks like the show may surpass B5 in my opinion, although nothing could surpass the epic scope of the B5 arcs, as those were the defining events of this "age" in the B5 universe. But boy does it look like it had a lot of potential. Including lots of potential for eye candy, with both the technomages' abilities of illusion, and just exploring a variety of diverse worlds throughout the B5 universe ("road shows" can be very engaging if done well).

Any word on proposed actual continuations of the story, either in novel form, movies, or (dare we ever hope) some sort of revival of the TV series?

From the product description at Cafe Press, this sounds like a bunch of interviews, unused scripts, and a various hodgepodge of stuff related to the show and its airing.
Yes, it's a continuation of the script book series similar to the 14-book (plus Other Voices) series done for B5 itself beginning in 2005.

I'm wondering if there will ever be actual novels continuing the story line and whatever arcs JMS envisioned within it.
Unlikely. First, JMS has said repeatedly that he isn't really interested in doing so because he envisioned the story for television. Second, there's no publisher currently interested in publishing them and third, it's beyond the scope of the script books project in general and in particular (partly) because licensing from WB would be prohibitive.
Any word on proposed actual continuations of the story, either in novel form, movies, or (dare we ever hope) some sort of revival of the TV series?
Unknown if it's anything to do with Crusade, but there does seem to be something stiring regarding B5. JMS just can't/won't discuss it until the ink's dry on actual contracts.

Jan

Yes, it's a continuation of the script book series similar to the 14-book (plus Other Voices) series done for B5 itself beginning in 2005.

I'm wondering if there will ever be actual novels continuing the story line and whatever arcs JMS envisioned within it.
Unlikely. First, JMS has said repeatedly that he isn't really interested in doing so because he envisioned the story for television. Second, there's no publisher currently interested in publishing them and third, it's beyond the scope of the script books project in general and in particular (partly) because licensing from WB would be prohibitive.
Unknown if it's anything to do with Crusade, but there does seem to be something stiring regarding B5. JMS just can't/won't discuss it until the ink's dry on actual contracts.

Jan

I asked him a couple years ago, and he flat out said the story wouldn't be continued in any other format. I did not ask - but suspect - that his attempt to pitch a Trek reboot a few years back was actually an attempt to salvage the Crusade storyline by using it in another universe.

Just this week, JMS said on his facebook page that the B5 project was still moving forward to some extent, but gave no details.

Jan

Hi Jan, any updated guesses on when "After April" means? IE: Is there a belief we might hear something in May?

Hi Jan, any updated guesses on when "After April" means? IE: Is there a belief we might hear something in May?

No, not really. JMS posted last night that he
JMS said:
...got word that the B5 related stuff is still proceeding along, just can't say anything yet...

and that:

JMS said:
Re: the B5 thing...I'm not being coy, it's just that over the years, it's like B5 has been the football, the fans (and I to a degree) have been Charlie Brown, and the studios/networks have dutifully executed their role as Lucy. Consequently, I'm not saying anyTHING to anyONE for any REASON until I know for a stone cold fact that there's ink on contracts and we're moving ahead on something of substance.

So it sounds to me like negotiations for whatever it is are still in progress but that things are still moving along and not stalled. And that's good news, imo.

Jan

No, not really. JMS posted last night that he
JMS said:
...got word that the B5 related stuff is still proceeding along, just can't say anything yet...

and that:

JMS said:
Re: the B5 thing...I'm not being coy, it's just that over the years, it's like B5 has been the football, the fans (and I to a degree) have been Charlie Brown, and the studios/networks have dutifully executed their role as Lucy. Consequently, I'm not saying anyTHING to anyONE for any REASON until I know for a stone cold fact that there's ink on contracts and we're moving ahead on something of substance.

So it sounds to me like negotiations for whatever it is are still in progress but that things are still moving along and not stalled. And that's good news, imo.

Jan

Thanks. LOL, great visual, B5 is the football, the fans are Charlie Brown and the studios/networks are Lucy. So apt.

Nothing so far. Believe me, as soon as I hear anything, I'll spread the word.

Jan

Perhaps I am no longer on the Mailing List, as found this message on the B5Books website today.

https://b5books.com/
-------------------------------------------
AUGUST IS CRUSADE MONTH AT BABYLON 5 BOOKS

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT #1
J. Michael Straczynski Says “YES”
The Remaining “What the Hell Happened” Volumes WILL NOW Be Published

From Captain Jaclyn – In our last newsletter we announced that the Crusade book series by J. Michael Straczynski "What the Hell Happened” would not be continued beyond Volume 1. That has changed. For the good.

We explained that the CRUSADE: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED series was backburned years ago when Straczynski's agents were concerned that the autobiographical nature of the story would conflict with his forthcoming autobiography (Becoming Superman, 2019) in which his account of the Crusade debacle was detailed.

Within minutes of the mailing, fans began campaigning for the volumes without his commentary, explaining how much they wanted just the unproduced scripts, memos, concept artwork and related content.

Always wanting to do right by fans, JMS agreed.
Release date forthcoming.

P.S. HELL Volume 1 will be re-released when Volumes 2 and 3 become available. Release information forthcoming.

P.S.S. We have rebooted the three NON-JMS Crusade books. They are available now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back