View Single Post
Old October 13th 10, 22:24   #9
Estelyn
Commander

Re: EpDis: The Illusion Of Truth

Yes, this one is too close to home to be merely "entertaining". We see how propaganda works, how pictures are made to lie, how truth is distorted. And at some level, we realize that it didn't just take place in Communist Russia or Nazi Germany, but is happening today - perhaps even to us?! Not much comfort zone left there...

We see things twisted, taken out of context, in an attempt to "prove" whatever point the government is trying to make. And who in the B5 universe knows the context well enough to recognize that? We viewers have seen Delenn's actions and know that she is not the enemy, but would the ISN audience not be taken in by this so-called documentary?

The other aspect that we also experience today is xenophobia, prejudice, fear of what is different.

What I find especially awful is the hypocritical treatment of Sheridan, with the seemingly well-meaning offer to "help" him.

I didn't see him as being naíve about the reporter - I think he basically decided to get it over with, so that they could see how bad it would be. Bester had warned them about the propaganda that would be coming.

As to the dramatic treatment at the end, I was very impressed that JMS - and Furst, who directed - let it end in complete silence. That says more than any explosive reaction could have done. It was a nice touch to have us see the room and characters from the pov of the screen, which was then turned off.

Oh, and I assume that the ISN commercial breaks were the actual commercial breaks when it was shown on TV - I don't remember...