View Single Post
Old November 30th 17, 15:29   #18
Looney
Ambassador

Re: Theory on "In the Beginning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5historyman View Post
Coplann and Hedronn are one and the same. Coplann used an alias while parading as a functionary from the Minbari Ministry of Culture while investigating Delenn's status for the Council.
THANK YOU! I was reading through this thread again trying to remember what was going on with this specific point and you just cleared it up. He was Satai traveling incognito. I knew there was something as I was reading through the thread. My guess is that Delenn didn't use an alias because if the truth ever came out it would look VERY bad; where as Coplann is exactly as you stated and not permanently assigned to B5. Thank you so much for bring that up because I could not remember what was going on there, but I knew I knew the correct answer and you provided it.

Quote:
How do you know? It was a classified mission and as pointed out you never get to see G'Kar and Sheridan's first meeting.
I agree and I don't even think it requires mentioning that it was a classified mission. I can't think of one moment in the show where it seems awkward. I think it fit brilliantly. They never specifically mention meeting each other before, but we also don't see every interaction these characters have and they never specifically mention that they've never met before. If I read between the lines I can imagine the three of them getting together and discussing the mission over dinner one night. Like thousands of interactions these characters would have had between episodes the audience was just never shown that moment. Maybe something like that happened, maybe it didn't. The point is we were never told they didn't meet before; unlike Garibaldi and Sheridan whom obviously did not know each other early in Season Two. I can't think of any time where the three of them having met before is a problem. In fact it actually helps with some of the logic of the show when you find out they had met before. I'm thinking of a little scene where Franklin is convinced fairly easily to accept Sheridan's help in saving Garibaldi with the alien life force device. At the time he wrote the scene JMS might not have known that he was eventually going to make it so Sheridan and Franklin had met prior to B5, but it still fits in well with that scene.

Quote:
It's Ganya Ivanov. And does every officer aboard a ship know the names of all the crew? How do you know that Ivanova and Sheridan didn't talk about Ganya while they were posted to Io.
Yeah I agree and I also agree with what others say. Just because we didn't see it on screen doesn't mean Sheridan and Ivanova have never discussed her brother before. For all we know they have discussed him many times. We were just never shown it on screen. There is nothing in the show that says Sheridan didn't know her brother. If anything it establishes a logic to why the two of them are so close. Ivanova had worked under Sheridan before and if they had the common bond of knowing her brother then it makes their closeness all the more believable. What I mean by that is they worked together, which doesn't always mean they are friends. Having a common denominator might have sparked their personal relationship. Just because it was never shown to the audience doesn't mean it didn't happen - and according to all whom have chimed in here there doesn't seem to be anything from JMS that says Sheridan didn't know Ganya.

Quote:
Londo as far as I recall is not directly responsible for ordering the strike, he was certainly responsible for providing faulty intelligence.
Completely agree.

Quote:
Grasping at straws aren't we, here's Londo just gone through 20 years of crap and only an hour or so away from his death, why shouldn't he have reconsidered his feelings?
I agree with that and I will add that he definitely mentions being married four times in the show and he is the Emperor talking to children. He could be reconsidering feelings or he could just talking to children and their governess so he says he loved all of his wives. SIDE NOTE: We know his first wife was a scandal. Is it possible that she is a secret and Londo married a publically known fourth wife after becoming Emperor? Just a curious thought I had and decided to share. I assume he was referring to the four wives we know he had, but then I had another thought that popped in my head about his years as Emperor.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote