• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dubbed Voiceover on "Points of Departure" ??

Recoil

Regular
I was just watching the Season 2 opener, Points of Departure, and noticed something I didn't catch before. When Sheridan is telling Ivanova about how he took out the Blackstar, near the end of his dialogue, specifically when he is saying he mined the "asteroid field between Mars and Jupiter," it appears like that was dubbed over something he might have originally said. Also, halfway through that sentence, they cut away from him talking, and focus on Ivanova's face.

I think the reasoning WHY this might have been done is obvious. They probably had him say one thing when they first filmed it, then when "In the Beginning" was filmed, that may have contradicted it, and they may have gone back and changed the original verbiage.

So....does anyone know what was first said there?

I had the episode on the VHS release before In the Beginning was made, and I don't remember it being any different. I think having watched the scene that it looks like the line
A fusion bomb doesn't have to lock onto anything if it's close enough
might have been added over Ivanova's cutaway after filming, in which case it would have been to clarify the plot point about locking onto Minbari ships, which is central to that episode (I think a sentence earlier he's said that the Minbari used a stealth technology they were never able to break, which might be read as them being completely undetectable).

I'm reminded of Sheridan's line in Comes the Inquisitor, overdubbed from 'west end' to 'east end'. I also know of several small things that were fixed between the very first airings of certain episodes and subsequent airings, but nothing that's changed since then.

Last edited:
Going back to change the West/East end thing is fine, as it is a factual error that can be corrected. Changing a line in a previous episode because of something filmed later is just a retcon, and I don't think JMS would have done that ... especially because we fans are so anally retentive, someone would be sure to spot it.

I don't remember thinking there was any difference between the original VHS version and the DVDs but, frankly, my tapes are so well stored away (i.e. under a pile of other junk) that it isn't worth digging them out to check.

I just think, if it were the case, someone would have noticed before now.

I can, however, well believe that the line was looped for some other reason, and adding another line in post to clarify is the perfect opportunity to do it.

Going back to change the West/East end thing is fine, as it is a factual error that can be corrected. Changing a line in a previous episode because of something filmed later is just a retcon, and I don't think JMS would have done that ... especially because we fans are so anally retentive, someone would be sure to spot it.

Possibly, but you never know. I was curious as to if anyone else thought like there was once something there before, and if so, if they knew what it was.

TBH, I don't like the whole "Mining the Asteriod Belt between Mars and Jupiter" explaination. "Mined an Asteriod Field in Sector XXXX" would have been better. To place that Minbari cruiser in our own solar system would pretty much mean it was minutes before the battle of the line. Why drive in that close, then just hang out for a couple years? The movie ItB made it seem like Sheridan's victory was about the halfway point of the war, which would have put the Minbari VERY far from Earth. The Asteriod belt would have been the final push before The Line. Hell I think it was said that in their final push they PASSED Mars and went right to Earth. That whole line he said in "Points of Departure" just never made sense to me I guess...

Recoil said:
...That whole line he said in "Points of Departure" just never made sense to me I guess...

It's a retcon. Negating that detail about Sheridan's destruction of the Black Star in "Points of Departure," jms changed the events to what we see in "In The Beginning". Despite our being left with hearing that now-incorrect detail when we watch PoD, ItB is what officially happened.

And the fact that what's in PoD still doesn't match what's in ItB makes it extremely unlikely that what's there now is an after-the-fact change to the dialog.

Latest posts

Members online

Back