• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Comes The Inquisitor

Confessions And Lamentations

• Total voters
Well, if they are into it, it's definitely a one on one thing, because she didn't seem to be enjoying it with both Sebastian and Sheridan. Come to think of it, maybe that's proof they aren't since 3 is such a "Holy" number with the Minbari ;)

I also suspect that Delenn and Sheridan viewed Sebastian as "the most extreme," i.e. the worst the Vorlons were willing to do. It was a test, they knew it was a test -- and I really doubt they felt Sebastian was spouting the Vorlon party line. In fact I'm not sure they believed anything he said or argued for until the very end when he told them they had passed. It took the form of very, very extreme Socratic questioning. Such a questioner/inquistor does not necessarily believe what he is saying at any point: he's making sure that the person under examination is doing "the right thing."

As for cruelty -- well, the Minbari and Delenn in particular had some experience with "being cruel to be kind." Witness their terrible choice about heeding G'Kar's warnings or not.

Sebastian was probably, to their minds, either a sadistic Socrates or practicing a sort of necessary brutality. As they did not know the true Vorlon agenda, any excesses Sebastian carried out could have easily been explained away. And considering how desperate the Conspiracy of Light was for backup, the excesses would have been glossed over in any way possible.

I really like this episode, Wayne was great.
About Delenn and Sheridan being so fools, I think the problem was that everyone was blinded by Vorlons. Dukhat said to Delenn: (ItB) (more or less) "when you have a doubt, look at the face of a vorlon".
They all were deceived. They were used by the Vorlon and they realized it 2 years later.
So, how Delenn was gonna deny to be questioned if a Vorlon asked for it ?
Sometimes it seems as if she was ready to die for Kosh.

Hello there, Acheron. Now that is an excellent point. Millenia of mental and genetic conditioning had made the Vorlons instinctively trusted beyond all logic or reason. Look what Lyta put herself through just to have a slight chance of contacting them.

Excellent. One of my personal top ten. There was an excellent review at the old Tachyon site. I wish I'd saved a copy of it. Does anyone else have it?

Unspeakably great. :eek: Mira blows me away every time. Witness:

"Am I close, Mr Sebastian?" Strong, defiant.

"This body is only a shell. You cannot touch me. You cannot harm me. I am not afraid." Serene, victorious.

Magnificent. And I don't know why, I know it's coming every time, but that last ".....known only as Jack." makes me go cold to my soles every time. Astounding.

Mira is awesome.
And I don't know why, I know it's coming every time, but that last ".....known only as Jack." makes me go cold to my soles every time. Astounding.
Me too. It's the look on Sebastian's face as he says it. We get a glimpse into his own private Hell.

A brutal interrogation in which the question is not "Where's the bomb?" but "Who are you?" And it's done with such style.

Can someone refresh my memory? Didn't that actor (Sebastian/Jack) play other parts in the series? I just can't remember who. :eek:

Like, Lorien?

IIRC, he was Jack, Lorien, the Drakh in s5 (Shiv'k'la or something), the Drazi in Intersections in real time, and various other bits requiring a decent actor behind an alien mask.

IIRC, he was Jack, Lorien, the Drakh in s5 (Shiv'k'la or something), the Drazi in Intersections in real time, and various other bits requiring a decent actor behind an alien mask.

Ah, thanks Penny. :)

I knew he played a few parts, and I forgot what the others were. Rewatching the old Star Trek episodes (Next Generation and Deep Space Nine) I see how many actors returned in different roles in the Star Trek universe.

What's interesting about "Sebastian" is that I never recognize his voice. That's usually how I spot the repeat players in Star Trek.

Good old Wayne Alexander! He played lots of parts on B5, and IMO, played them all quite well. ;)

Good old Wayne Alexander! He played lots of parts on B5, and IMO, played them all quite well. ;)

Especially the ones I didn't notice. :LOL:

Seriously, though, that is the curse of the excellent character actor. The better he is, the more he disappears into the part.

I give the episode a B, not for any lack in the acting, but I guess more the tone and premise. JMS with his psychology major loves to rip open the human psyche for emotional and values exploration, especially with the prisoner format. The only humor I saw in the episode was Lennier attempting to explain or defend Kosh's request in front of Sheridan. I doubt very much whether the Vorlons believe any of that impure motive yields impure results stuff.

I found the plot incredible that the virtually omniscient, and certainly telepathic, Vorlons should have "doubts" or even need confirmation after all they had done to set up Sinclair, Delenn and Sheridan to maintain the order of the universe as they saw it. If Kosh had approached Sheridan to be the prisoner he probably would have told Kosh to stick it. Sheridan was quite prepared to go off and take on the Shadows single handed.

QMCO5

I loved the episode and gave it an "A"! :D I loved everything about it!

The whole cast was just wonderful! I couldn't agree more with what has been said about the talented Mr. Alexander, he honestly kept me spellbound. I remember holding my breath during the last of his dialogue as the Inquisitor, and then saying aloud with him one word...."Jack". Amazing! :D

Unspeakably great. :eek: Mira blows me away every time. Witness:

"Am I close, Mr Sebastian?" Strong, defiant.

"This body is only a shell. You cannot touch me. You cannot harm me. I am not afraid." Serene, victorious.

Magnificent. And I don't know why, I know it's coming every time, but that last ".....known only as Jack." makes me go cold to my soles every time. Astounding.

I'll bet you're a big Greg Benford fan too?

Ah... Wayne Alexander! He's da MAN! He's as much a B5 icon as Lyta or Vir. He must have been close to the casting director or JMS or somebody cuz he's all over the place. And he's so good that the only way I knew it was him was the credits. Actually, I never even suspected that he was Sebastian until I read it here. He's one smoooooth dude.

... oh, and I gave this ep a B. I liked it, and I like the continuity and growth of Sheridan and Delen. Also you see their love really bloom here (not that it's a good thing). I'm just so sick of the whole, "Jack the Ripper," thing. I mean, if it had not just been done by STTNG, then ok, but it makes it seem copycatish to me. I mean, I guessed that he was JtR way too soon in the show. A twist would have been nice here and a whole episode dedicated to an extremely predictable end just doesn't cut it in my book. I can't see this standing up to episodes like, "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum," "Falling Toward Apotheosis," "Into the Fire," "Epiphanies," "Z'ha'dum," or, "War Without End." I mean, it's good, it's B5, but it's not, "WOAH!"

The Next Generation did a Jack the Ripper episode? That one escapes me. Do you recall what its title/season is?

According to his website, he was G'Dan in "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place."

I found the plot incredible that the virtually omniscient, and certainly telepathic, Vorlons should have "doubts" or even need confirmation after all they had done to set up Sinclair, Delenn and Sheridan to maintain the order of the universe as they saw it.
jms said, "...the test was in some ways (most, actually) more for Delenn's benefit than Kosh's...."

Subject: Re: ATTN JMS: Who Was Jack The Ripper Really???
To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Date: 7/25/1998 7:20:00 PM

Who was the one person whose wife actually wrote a letter to the London Times suggesting that the ripper maybe was trying to tell them something, and that maybe he'd stop if they listened? Who was the last person to see at least two of the victims alive on missions of mercy to the jail? Who was reported to have become unhinged by the filth in the area around the murders when he found a rat in his breakfast? Who had medical experience? Who left England suddenly after being questioned, with the murders stopping soon afterward? Whose transcripts of interviews with church officials and British police are *still* kept under lock and key? Who is the sort of person who might say -- as the only witness to hear the ripper reported hearing him remark to one of his victims -- "You would do anything but pray?" Who had the same last name -- and was a likely relative -- of the man living with the very last victim, the only one killed in her room (suggesting she knew the killer)?

The Reverend Samuel Barnett. That's my choice.
jms
Whether or not he's right about this, the idea that Sebastian was a clergyman gone mad makes perfect sense.

Latest posts

Members online

Back