• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

TLT CGI; hmmm.

FlipperPA

Regular
I would love to see the CGI of the five seasons re-done. With so many new meshes created for TLT, it would seem some of the heavy lifting it done already. Am I the only one who would gladly buy all five seasons on DVD again if the CGI scenes were modernized and re-rendered?

It's a pipe dream, yes, but just curious how many people would re-buy.

Regards,

-Flip

Not interested, realy.
I figured that would be the case for a lot of people. I guess I'd just be interested in some kind of consistency - for example, by the time S4 came around, the CGI element made S1 look pretty made, making suspension of disbelief harder. I'm sure TLT will do to S4 what S4 did to S1. :)

I'm with Jan, I'm fine with the CGI as it is, I certainly don't want to spend another $400+ to upgrade CGI.

TLT must have some fantastic CGI for anyone to consider reinvesting like that? (I can't view video, and ahve tried to remain relatively unspoiled, so, I have no cluse what the CGI looks like)

The CGI is currently somewhat distracting, especially when they couldn't improve the image quality on the composite shots but could improve the non-composites, leading to very abrupt shifts in quality -- but I don't watch B5 for the visuals.

I also don't watch B5 for the visuals although I wouldn't mind seeing them touched up.I didn't really mind the Star Wars ones apart from the original Jabba scene and the daft tune they put at the end of ROTJ instead of the cool one but that wasn't even CGI.

The Jabba scene sucked because it really didn't fit in anymore.

Re-doing B5's CGI actually removes one of its true claims to revolutionising TV ... the first show to use extensive CGI. If you take out that original, pioneering work and replace it with 21st Century CGI, you just make the show look like every other space show in the last 10 years.

I prefer to enjoy B5 for what it is ... not what it might have been if it had been made 10 years later. Just like the Star Wars Special Editions. Love the originals, but the SEs are just "So what?". We all know the original trilogy was released in 1977, 80 and 83, so why introduce 1990s and 2000s elements to the FX other than "because they can".

What I want to see is the original SW trilogy retouched -- just to clean things up, no crazy additions. Oh, and they can color Vader's lightsaber; they missed that the first time around.

Unless they replace all Ewoks with Wookiees. That I would pay good money to see.

I personally would love to see this done. Partly to remove the distracting element of the low-res space scenes, but mostly to get rid of the horribly compromised composite shots, and see them more like what was always intended. It's been discussed before, that te eventual release of B5 in HD would present an opportunity for this, indeed might even require it as the composite shots would look simply attrocious scaled up to HD, but with the massive costs, even with the TLT head-start, it doesn't necessarily look very likely. :(

I agree with Garibaldi'shair, that I don't want the original messed with, in part because it was pioneering work.

But, I also think raw_bean is on to something. Eventually, they will consider putting out B5 in an HD format. Right now, they are re-doing ST:TOS's FX shots. Of course, there are a lot less in that than in B5. It will come down to a simple equation: can they upgrade the CGI cheap enough to sell the HD product at a profit. I think that in a few years, the answer might be yes, but it would depend, in part, on how the popularity of B5 holds.

Not interested, really.

Jan

Likewise. B5 is about story. I can watch the likes of Midnight on the Firing Line and not be distracted by the CGI. I automatically take it into account and am forgiving about such things. Where the CGI bothers me is when they made (probable) mistakes and went against B5 canon (e.g. the Shadow Fighters in Crusade's Patterns of the Soul having slicer beams.

Koshfan, I think they fixed Vader's lightsabre for the DVD edits, which had a lot of post special edition touch-ups.

As for B5, I may be tempted by newer CGI but still really like the original. It was the reason I first tuned in (look mum, spaceships!!!) but not the reason I kept watching !

Can I just point out in case it's not clear that wanting B5 to look as good as it possibly can doesn't mean the eye candy is the *reason* I (as someone on the 'pro' side of this discussion) like it? I think it's safe to say that we *all* like it for the story, but I don't see anything wrong in wanting to see that story packaged in the prettiest way possible. Think of it like a book: obviously what really counts is the words, but it's not unusual or strange for someone to prefer to have a nicely dust-jacketed hard cover edition with new illustrations and corrections over a well-loved paperback, somewhat ravaged by time. To others it may not matter, certainly, but then some people I'm sure were happy with non-widescreen, fuzzy quality VHS tapes of B5 they may have recorded and saw no need to buy the DVD sets.

As for the 'historical value', if any, in the original CGI, since the episodes are all widely available on DVD already I don't see a problem with doing new versions for HD. The originals won't have been removed from existence revisionist-history style or anything.

Can I just point out in case it's not clear that wanting B5 to look as good as it possibly can doesn't mean the eye candy is the *reason* I (as someone on the 'pro' side of this discussion) like it? I think it's safe to say that we *all* like it for the story, but I don't see anything wrong in wanting to see that story packaged in the prettiest way possible.

No, nothing wrong with that. However, you have about as good a chance of that as I have of Crusade being restarted or redone.

As for the 'historical value', if any, in the original CGI, since the episodes are all widely available on DVD already I don't see a problem with doing new versions for HD. The originals won't have been removed from existence revisionist-history style or anything.

True.

Oh definitely nothing wrong with new sets being released with better effects (Matter of fact, may even increase the value of the original sets with the "classic effects" in time), just that I personally am fine with the CGI, and wouldn't want to reinvest $400+ to rebuy them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back