• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Dresden Files

I'm thinkijng about starting the Dresden Files. Should I start with the DVD? And should I change the viewing order?

Tough one... I started with the show. At the time I thought it was GREAT... but then I started reading the books & my opinion of the show slowly started to drop. I now think the show sucked. ;)

If you start with the tv show... watch it like it was the pilot for B5. :p

If you start with the books, keep in mind that... (IMHO) They don't really pick up until you get to Grave Peril (the 3rd Book), or Summer Knight (the 4th Book)... & be warned, (also IMHO) by the time you get to the end of Dead Beat (The 7th Book), the series will turn into an addictive substance, & you'll need to keep reading & rereading to get your fix.

[EDIT]

& I forgot to answer the second question... go me.

In watching the show, keep in mind that... Storm Front (aka Episode 8) was the pilot episode for the show and it was basically the 1st book pancaked into a crappy tv episode. Hair of the Dog was the pancake they made out of Fool Moon (the 2nd Book). It doesn't really matter what order you watch the show in because they did each episode as like a "stand alone" & I don't really think they tied into each other.

Watch Storm Front first though... then the rest as they come along.

Last edited:
Like Demonn, I, too, started with the TV show. I agree with 99% of what Demonn said, but I'm a little more forgiving of the show and wouldn't say that the show necessarily "sucked." When you watch the show, take things with a grain of salt, not like what the show says is cast in stone or is gospel. If I were you, I'd start with the show, Storm Front first. Here's the best order IMHO:

DvdEp, SciFi Airing, Production Order, Airdate, Title
D2E4, 8, 1x01, 18-Mar-07, Storm Front
D1E4, 4, 1x02, 18-Feb-07, Rules of Engagement
D1E1, 1, 1x03, 21-Jan-07, Birds of a Feather
D1E2, 2, 1x04, 28-Jan-07, The Boone Identity
D1E3, 3, 1x05, 11-Feb-07, Hair of the Dog
D2E3, 7, 1x06, 11-Mar-07, Walls
D2E1, 5, 1x07, 25-Feb-07, Bad Blood
D2E2, 6, 1x08, 4-Mar-07, Soul Beneficiary
D3E2, 10, 1x09, 1-Apr-07, What About Bob?
D3E1, 9, 1x10, 25-Mar-07, The Other Dick
D3E3, 11, 1x11, 8-Apr-07, Things That Go Bump
D3E4, 12, 1x12, 15-Apr-07, Second City

It's too bad that Sci-Fi scrambled the order and that it went that way onto the DVD set (like what happened to Crusade, with the TNT crappy order being used for that DVD set. :( :( :( )

I find that watching the show first helps me, as a starting point, to visualize the characters in the books. After that, I use the descriptions in the books to modify the look and personality of the characters. For characters who never appeared in the show, I cast actors who I've seen in the past for the roles that seem to suit them here. Then, as I read the books, it all plays out like a movie in my mind's eye. ;)

Last edited:
Welll. I can finally pick up my hold from the library. It;s curious, when I requested this I was 3rd on the list. I requested Game of Thrones, S2 at the same time. I was 183rd on that list. I watched it 2 weeks ago.:rolleyes: The good news is that IMCPL has all the books and they have low to no holds on them, and the author is young and healthy (urghmm, The late Mr Jordan) and publishes regularly AND frequently, with an end game in sight (Urghmmmm, Mr george RR martin). I'm looking forward to getting started.

Funny thing happened while watching DF: My DVD player died. On a Saturday night. I went Sunday morning to get a new one. I had checked the nearby BestBuy's web page and saw they had an open box panasonic 3d bluray and decided to upgrade. While there I noticed they had a 50' 3d panasonic plasma open box for under $800, incliuding tax, with free delivery. I now have a new 3d system.:bolian::cool:;)

I rather enjoeyd the show. Any program that has Pat Tallman and Claudia Black as guest stars is a good show.:rommie: Good call on watching Storm Front first. The hockey stick didn't bother me: I've spent a good deal of time in Chicago and wouldn't bat an eye if someone wandered by with one.:devil: He did use the drumstick in jail, to create a hologram. The FX were adequete, not brilliant, but not "cheesy". Paul B was a good casting choice, the lady cop ... not so much. I think it probably deserved a second season and if it had been on the CW network, would have gotten it. I'm rather impressed by CW's ability to foster shows and actually give them a chance, other networks should take heed.

I look forward to the books.

Last edited:
Funny thing happened while watching DF: My DVD player died.

Perhaps you have some latent wizard talent.

On a Saturday night. I went Sunday morning to get a new one. I had checked the nearby BestBuy's web page and saw they had an open box panasonic 3d bluray and decided to upgrade. While there I noticed they had a 50' 3d panasonic plasma open box for under $800, incliuding tax, with free delivery. I now have a new 3d system.:bolian::cool:;)

I rather enjoeyd the show. Any program that has Pat Tallman and Claudia Black as guest stars is a good show.

Claudia, yes, but I don't remember Pat being in The Dresden Files.

Last edited:
She was the mother, of the kid.:devil: I forget which ep. I'll have to "hold" it at my library. And watch again. If it wasn't her, then it was her evil step twin.:klingon:

As far as wizard talent, not yet. But I'm Irish: I believe in Luck.:thumbsup:

She was the mother, of the kid.:devil: I forget which ep. I'll have to "hold" it at my library. And watch again. If it wasn't her, then it was her evil step twin.:klingon:

As far as wizard talent, not yet. But I'm Irish: I believe in Luck.:thumbsup:

1. Can you remember anything about the plot of the episode you think Pat was in? If you threw me some clues, I could probably check it out. I OWN the DVD set.

2. Wizard talent is at odds with electronics. That's part of the reason Harry drives an OLD VW Beetle (WWII~Korean War era Jeep in the TV show). That's one of the areas where the TV show screwed up; they showed Harry and a girlfriend watching a DVD at Harry's. The more a wizard is using his/her powers or the more emotion they have going at the time (e.g. anxiety), the more likely the wizard will fry any electronics nearby, and the nearer, the worse the damage. Modern cars with computers won't survive long around Harry. PCs are of course out of the question.Sometimes he can keep himself restrained enough to use a modern car for a fairly short trip in a pinch.

I think it was that bird man episode & the mom wasn't Pat Tallman, but she was a redhead. I remember Claudia Black but not Pat Tallman being in the show...

I think it was that bird man episode & the mom wasn't Pat Tallman, but she was a redhead. I remember Claudia Black but not Pat Tallman being in the show...

"Birds of a Feather" - the ones with the guys who were crows, who were thought to be menacing, but were really protecting the boy? Marie Ward (Sheryl Sharpe, the boy's mother).

Demonn, you know what one thing I did like of the TV show over the book? The Jeep. To me, that makes more sense than an air-cooled VW beetle. Yes, with even that Jeep (looks like WWII or Korean War era), you have a water coolant system that can go wrong, but still, a no frills Jeep like that is rugged. Another Jeep weakness is the soft top (no protection) but it's also a strength, because Harry could blast things overhead more easily.

Maybe it's just that I like Jeeps (WWII thru Wranglers).

Demonn,

"Skin Game" - Book 15 of The Dresden Files is to be released on May 27th, 2014. When is the Kindle version usually released?

I have 'em all in either paperback or hardback, but also now have 'em on my new Kindle.

Pretty sure kindle has the same release date... I know I'd kill someone if I was waiting on the book & somebody was like, "oh yeah, I have that already on Kindle." But then I would also have my own Kindle after that. :p

I have the older paperbacks up until 10 or so & then all the newer hard covers. Just reread everything a month or two ago so I'm really looking 4ward to Skin Game.

Spoiler for Skin Game:
I was surprised to see that Nicodemous was still alive & kickin' when I read the thing for the book.. I was like 80% sure he was dead. I wanted him to be dead. Now I'm kinda glad he isn't though.

Last edited:
Pretty sure kindle has the same release date... I know I'd kill someone if I was waiting on the book & somebody was like, "oh yeah, I have that already on Kindle." But then I would also have my own Kindle after that. :p

I have the older paperbacks up until 10 or so & then all the newer hard covers. Just reread everything a month or two ago so I'm really looking 4ward to Skin Game.

Spoiler for Skin Game:
I was surprised to see that Nicodemous was still alive & kickin' when I read the thing for the book.. I was like 80% sure he was dead. I wanted him to be dead. Now I'm kinda glad he isn't though.

Jim Butcher tweeted me back:

Jim Butcher Dot Com
@jimbutchernews
@MacBreck Same day! Amazon should add a preorder link soon. We'll post an announcement when it's available. (03:14 AM - 21 Dec 13)

BTW, I got paperbacks of #1 "Storm Front" thru #10 "Small Favor" and "Side Jobs." Starting with "Turn Coat" I went to hardbacks. However, now I have everything also on Kindle, including Blood Lite, Dangerous Women ("Bombshells" about Molly Carpenter, i.e. from her POV.), and Ghoul/Goblin.

ps. Based upon the title, I thought that "Skin Game" would be about skin walkers (naagloshii).

Last edited:
ps. Based upon the title, I thought that "Skin Game" would be about skin walkers (naagloshii).

It might be... you never know, Harry might end up releasing some of them to fight the Nickleheads... or somebody else. I'm looking 4ward to whatever JB has in mind.

Hey, you never mentioned that at the end of Turn Coat, Harry and Ebenezar talk about forming a Grey Council. :D

Last edited:
Never thought about it like that... :p

How could you NOT think of it like that?

I just didn't notice it. :p

To me... the White Council is the ruling body. The Grey isn't anything official and it's just what they call themselves. It never clicked in my head.

If there ever comes a point in the books where 9 of them are standing around a light fixture I'll definitely say something though. :p

BTW, the spinoff of the TV show "Supernatural", "Supernatural: Tribes"

http://m.deadline.com/2014/02/danielle-savre-stephen-martines-supernatural-spinoff-leads/

....is to be set in CHICAGO! Too bad "The Dresden Files" got cancelled. We could've had a crossover ep..

I still gotta catch up on Supernatural... been watchin’ it on Netflix & I left off in the middle of whatever Season Dean came back from Hell.

The thing about watchin’ anything on Netflix is your always a season behind whatever is running on TV and you can never really catch up so why try?

ps. "Divergent" March 24th and "Godzilla" (2014) May 16th. While I might go see Divergent, I WILL go see Godzilla. :D

I'll probably check out Divergent in theatres but I don't give a damn about the books.

Just watched the trailer for Godzilla the other day... it could be interesting I guess. I don't really get into monster movies though.

I did like Cloverfield though if you ever saw that one.

I, too, am a season behind on Supernatural because since dropping cable a year ago, I can no longer "get" The CW. I've bought Supernatural season sets ever since I got part way renting Season 1 on Netflix. So, I'm a season behind, too. In the fall, I buy the new season set and finish it in 2 or 3 days.

Godzilla (and the one Gorgo movie) is are pretty much my sole interest in monster movies. Yeah, I watched Cloverfield (because I like Lizzy Caplan ever since The Class TV show, and True Blood :D :drool:). I've never been able to stand ape movies, though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back