• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sheridan And His Amazing Hair

It should be an obvious thing, but here goes: Did you notice that Sheridan's hair changed in length and color When comparing the series version to the "A Call to Arms" version? Essentially, his hair shortened and turned a bit whiter while in "A Call to Arms", and then lenghtened and went a bit grayer and not so white for basically any episode set after the movie, which I think was only "Sleeping in Light". I feel a little stupid, but I'm posting this anyway. It WAS pretty funny, production time aside. I guess dying and being brought back with a 20 year time limit will do that to a man!

------------------
--Garibaldi-- "Maybe they should've labeled the future 'Some Assembly Required'."

Tell ya what I have noticed about his hair, it always seems to be imaculate no matter what he's been through. I went to Disney world in Florida once and a guy describes this as having "hero hair"
smile.gif

------------------
"Be seeing you" - Alfred Bester

G'Kar of the Kha Ri's comments about Sheridan's hair brought to mind something that I had forgotten. I suppose this should be called 'Dead Man's Haircut'
When Sheridan first came to B5, his hair was quite short, but he allowed it to grow in the third season. When Sheridan left for Z'ha'dum, he had reasonably long hair for a military officer. It was still long when he jumped into the abyss. HOWEVER! When Sheridan returns to B5 in 'The Summoning' - it's short! Was Lorien in addition to being a First One, also a hairdresser? Was there a hairdresser on his ship? Or did Sheridan take the time to take a visit to a hairdresser's in the Zocalo before going to try and calm down that angry mob?
As for Sheridan's hair going gray, that kind of makes sense. He's not only come back from the dead, he's also under a great deal of strain. let's face it, he goes from Earthforce captain, to B5 governor, to rebel, dies, comes back from the dead, is captured and tortured, becomes President of the Interstellar Alliance - all in a three year period! Quite a lot for anyone to handle - not to mention fighting the Shadow War, falling in love with a Minbari, and getting married. And Sheridan's only got another twenty years - Lorien's energy can keep him alive, but his ordeal at Z'ha'dum may have gone a long way towards aging Sheridan.
Speaking of hair - I noticed with interest Delenn's evolving hairstyles. When she first appears in the B5 Council Chamber in 'Revelations' she's got her newly acquired hair in a kind of chignon or plait.
Who did her hair? We're never told - and I doubt whether there'd be too many hairdressers among the Minbari. If Delenn had sought advice from a hairdresser on B5 [you can bet that there's got to be at least one] wouldn't they have told her how to look after her hair? Instead, she asks a somewhat bemused Ivanova for advice, and it's pretty clear that Delenn hasn't the faintest idea of what to do with her hair. It seems that she's been washing her hair in bleach or something similar. And then there's the matter of the hair-rollers. Hair-rollers in the 23rd century? Ouch! You'd think that someone whould have come up with something less painful by then. And who taught Delenn to plait her hair and put it up in that chignon? Not Ivanova Okay, it's a trivial question - but I can't have been the only one to have wondered.

------------------

G'Kar of the Kha Ri's comments about Sheridan's hair brought to mind something that I had forgotten. I suppose this should be called 'Dead Man's Haircut'
When Sheridan first came to B5, his hair was quite short, but he allowed it to grow in the third season. When Sheridan left for Z'ha'dum, he had reasonably long hair for a military officer. It was still long when he jumped into the abyss. HOWEVER! When Sheridan returns to B5 in 'The Summoning' - it's short! Was Lorien in addition to being a First One, also a hairdresser? Was there a hairdresser on his ship? Or did Sheridan take the time to take a visit to a hairdresser's in the Zocalo before going to try and calm down that angry mob?
As for Sheridan's hair going gray, that kind of makes sense. He's not only come back from the dead, he's also under a great deal of strain. let's face it, he goes from Earthforce captain, to B5 governor, to rebel, dies, comes back from the dead, is captured and tortured, becomes President of the Interstellar Alliance - all in a three year period! Quite a lot for anyone to handle - not to mention fighting the Shadow War, falling in love with a Minbari, and getting married. And Sheridan's only got another twenty years - Lorien's energy can keep him alive, but his ordeal at Z'ha'dum may have gone a long way towards aging Sheridan.
Speaking of hair - I noticed with interest Delenn's evolving hairstyles. When she first appears in the B5 Council Chamber in 'Revelations' she's got her newly acquired hair in a kind of chignon or plait.
Who did her hair? We're never told - and I doubt whether there'd be too many hairdressers among the Minbari. If Delenn had sought advice from a hairdresser on B5 [you can bet that there's got to be at least one] wouldn't they have told her how to look after her hair? Instead, she asks a somewhat bemused Ivanova for advice, and it's pretty clear that Delenn hasn't the faintest idea of what to do with her hair. It seems that she's been washing her hair in bleach or something similar. And then there's the matter of the hair-rollers. Hair-rollers in the 23rd century? Ouch! You'd think that someone whould have come up with something less painful by then. And who taught Delenn to plait her hair and put it up in that chignon? Not Ivanova Okay, it's a trivial question - but I can't have been the only one to have wondered.

------------------

Bab5nutz

*chuckles* I like when his hair gets shortened after the meeting with Lorien. I think Sheridan went to his quarters to straighten himself up first. *L* I mean, he was all messy and bloody from that fall. He needed to make himself presentable, didn't he??

Well, I think Ivanova helped Delenn more than anybody else did. With Ivanova, Delenn never had to save face. Hey, why not having hair rollers?? The 23rd century does have a lot of the same stuff that we have, but just a bit updated.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Whatever length he had it at, Sheridan's hair was the perfect example of TV Anchor hair. We should all strive for that kind of perfection.
cool.gif

------------------
Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.

Sheridan's hair always amused me too. But you must remember Sleeping in Light was filmed at the end of year 4, long before A Call to Arms so you can't compare those two hairdos. Also another fact, at the end of year 3 he was acting in something, I think it was the Miniseries Zoya about Russia circa 1918 and I assumed he let his hair grow longer for that.
I also assumed that either Lorien cut his hair before awakening him, or he didn't have enough life force to keep the hair long
smile.gif

BTW it also changed colour regularly and was quite red during most of year 5.

------------------

While it is true that "Sleeping in Light" was filmed before "A Call to Arms", it's still funny to look at the events within the show chronologically, thereby making the change in length and color very funny. Well, at least Sheridan kept his hair until he died. Poor Garibaldi started losing his in the timeframe between Seasons 1 and 2.

Keep this in mind: Imagine Londo with an afro.

------------------
--Garibaldi-- "Maybe they should've labeled the future 'Some Assembly Required'."

Back