• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Streaming B5 - Legally - USA

Jan

Regular
Yes, at long last, there's a legal way to stream B5 on mobile devices or regular desktop:

https://www.go90.com/shows/babylon5

It's effective today and the site seems to be fairly new. There was an article in Variety yesterday about it:

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/veronica-mars-fringe-streaming-go90-1202020644/

Deal includes 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles,' 'Almost Human,' 'Babylon 5,' 'Believe,' 'Stalker'

Verizon is punching the thriller and sci-fi buttons with a pact to bring all seasons of seven Warner Bros. TV shows — including “Veronica Mars” and “Fringe” — to the free Go90 mobile-video service.

The deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution makes Go90 the exclusive streaming outlet for the series, which also include “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles,” “Almost Human,” “Babylon 5,” “Believe” and “Stalker.” Besides theoretically appealing to Go90’s millennial target demo, the shows were more affordable for Verizon to license than more recent TV hits. A source familiar with the pact indicated that it runs for one year or less.

Let's try to make it a success!

Jan

Lol you beat me to it! I was just about to create a post for this. This is really great news. I own B5 on DVD in its entirety, but I'm glad more people will be able to watch it now because the fact that it wasn't on a streaming service was a huge turn-off. I suppose DVDs are just viewed as obsolete or too expensive nowadays.

Very surprised this hasn't gotten more comments. I am watching it on Go90 and it looks great on my tablet. It is free and I love it. I have seen very few commercials at the start of episodes. I am almost through Season One. My only complaint is I wish I could get it on my Roku to view on my TV, but like I said, it looks really good on my tablet . . . and my phone. :)

I don't watch a lot of stuff on my computer, I also prefer it on the television screen. I also am at a busy time, rematching the entire series would work better for me in the summer time.

I have to admit that I do greatly enjoy that I can just carry it with me and have it playing in the background where ever I go. :) This being said, it is a huge distraction that makes me constantly stop and start looking at the screen. :LOL:

Just don't play it while driving. ;)

Yes, very good advice. Thankfully the data plan on my phone would not permit me to play it while driving without racking up a huge bill, but it gets turned on whenever I have WiFi. :thumbsup:

So I thought I should mention this because it has amazed me. I have been traveling and watching B5 on Go90 with my phone. I have been watching with earbuds in and I can't believe how I feel like I am hearing certain little things for the first time. There have been parts to pieces of music I feel I haven't heard before. And then there is some background noise or background effects that seem new, but I know it is just that I wasn't hearing them through the various TVs I've had since the 90s. It has been a great revelation. :thumbsup: And again, I can't believe how great it has looked on my small screens. :bolian:

Anyone know if Go90 has picked up the streaming rights for another year? I know the year they signed up for is almost up, so I am hoping they either pick it up again or someone bigger does. I've yet to meet one person who has ever heard of Go90 in the past year and I know people who have Verizon products.

If Go90 loses the rights I'll be ticked. I'm still working my way through the series with my ex, but due to that "ex" part we don't watch in the same place, hence the need for Go90. And my ex's internet connection has been so lousy we've only barely made it through a few episodes. If Go90 drops B5 we'll have to find another way to watch. Again.

And what's the last ep we watched, you ask? "Z'ha'dum." I do not want to be stuck there...

I went ahead and sent them a message through their FEEDBACK right after I posted on the 28th and they never responded. I need to go back and explore other ways to ask, but I haven't had time and it seem futile on the 28th. I think Twitter might be another way, but I don't use Twitter. Anyway I guess we'll find out around April 4th because that is when their year long license should be up.

It is gone!

The page is still there, but no episodes are available on Go90. I was worried this would happen. :(

EVERYONE CROSS YOUR FINGERS NETFLIX PICKS UP THE LICENSE. :thumbsup:

I guess my choices, in order, would be:
1. Netflix
2. Hulu
3. Amazon

Honestly I think that is the best case scenario for sparking new interest in the show. I know there are a lot of networks that could start showing reruns, but I just don't know what that would do in this day and age unless it is a BIG network and we know that isn't going to happen.

Maybe not!! Posted on Facebook:

Michael Ferry They replied to my comment:
go90 We totally feel you, Michael. The Engineering Team is already working on this. We'll let you know once it's fixed. For now, try the other shows related to Babylon 5. Here's the link - https://go90.show/2J9XnHL

Stay tuned for updates!

Yep it turned out to be a false alarm. I don't know what happened, but the episodes did disappear from my Go90 App on my phone, tablet, and laptop. Now they appear to be back. The only difference I can see is they are laid out differently on my phone. I hope the fact that the Go90 Team replied means they intend to keep B5 past this week. Yes I would prefer the show be streaming on a more well known App, but at least it is somewhere. :thumbsup:

And now it is officially gone. They fixed the technical problem Sunday and then let the license expire yesterday. So back to what I originally said, I hope a streaming service people actually know about picks up the license. Time to delete that App from my devices. They actually lost every show I was interested in seeing that isn't available on more well known Apps.

I just heard a rumor that Babylon 5 will be available on Amazon Prime sometime soon.

That would certainly be a step in the right direction.

My only problem with this is that I really dislike Amazon.

I would ask why you dislike Amazon, but I don't want to know because I love Amazon and I don't want that to change. ;) I am a big Blu-Ray and DVD collector and that is a great place to buy Blu-Rays and DVDs. What I buy is a niche market and Amazon isn't the only place I shop, but they are one of the few places that carry what I would be looking for. One might try to argue that the reason I have to turn to them is because they put the stores I could have gone to for what I want out of business, but that isn't true. Basically the only physical stores that carry what I look for are Best Buy or Barnes and Noble. Barnes and Noble has always been ridiculous about their media prices and Best Buy can't keep their shelves stocked with obscure movies only a handful of people might be looking for. And I do shop at Best Buy a lot, but I usually have to go to their website to find what I want or just buy the most mainstream stuff I am looking for in their stores.

I also stream a lot of music through Amazon as well. I mean seriously, if you buy a CD through them they are usually able to give you a digital version. I say usually because I did buy some of the B5 soundtrack CDs there and digital copies isn't an option with them. Anyway, I love Amazon for media buys, but that is pretty much all I do there. I can't remember the last thing I bought from Amazon that wasn't a Blu-Ray or DVD.

BUT THE NUMBER ONE REASON I LOVE AMAZON IS BECAUSE I CAN STREAM BABYLON 5 THERE. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back