• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 Complete Series VUDU Sale

Looney

Regular
I looked at my VUDU Wishlist and the complete series bundle is FINALLY on sale. Normally $69.99 = right now $49.99. I know that my not seem like a steal-of-a-deal, but VUDU's source is in the original aspect ratio.

Babylon 5 Complete Series Bundle

"CAN CONFIRM" the original aspect ratio. I also can confirm that the source did not look that great, but I don't have the best internet.

IT IS JUST SEASON 1-5, NO MOVIES OR SPIN-OFFS

Most probably already have it all on DVD.

Of course they do. With a backup DVD set just in case, several of the VHS, most of the Laser Discs, and quite a few on recorded VHS. ;) BUT here is, or was, a chance to have the entire series, or most of it, in the original aspect ratio.

I assume VUDU is a US thing? I clicked the link but it just opened a blank page.

I'd definitely be interested in having the series in the original 4:3 aspect ratio –presumably this would improve the FX quality and it would look just like it did when it originally aired?

I'd also heard that the Laser Discs are in 4:3 aspect ratio, and that they're probably the best quality released, but I've never got a firm answer on that.

Most probably already have it all on DVD.

Of course they do. With a backup DVD set just in case, several of the VHS, most of the Laser Discs, and quite a few on recorded VHS. ;) BUT here is, or was, a chance to have the entire series, or most of it, in the original aspect ratio.

I just wish they would have come out with the complete series, ALL of it, including the movies and Crusade on Laserdisc and on DVD in 4:3 without the cropped CGI.

I assume VUDU is a US thing? I clicked the link but it just opened a blank page.

I'd definitely be interested in having the series in the original 4:3 aspect ratio –presumably this would improve the FX quality and it would look just like it did when it originally aired?

I'd also heard that the Laser Discs are in 4:3 aspect ratio, and that they're probably the best quality released, but I've never got a firm answer on that.

The complete series was not released on Laserdisc. All of Seasons 1 & 5, part of 2 & 4, and none of 3 were released. They were 4:3, and were the highest quality of the CGI. I sold my set.

Yes VUDU is a U.S. thing. It is a digital service owned by Wal-Mart that you can buy legal digital versions of stuff as well as unlock codes from Blu-Ray and DVD purchases. Do you have the MOVIES ANYWHERE App or iTunes digital copies?

You know the craziest thing about those VHS and Laserdisc releases is how they did it. I know they were trying to capitalize on the newness of Season 5, but who ever heard of releasing a series 1, 5, 2, 4, 3. :wtf: I guess we all have. :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I use a VPN, besides security. I like watching shows on BBC iplayer.

Thanks for the info about the Laserdiscs KoshN. Other than the pilot, I'm not sure they were ever released over here, though I recall seeing some on sale at a convention, probably as imports. So they're pretty rare, there are none for sale on eBay or Amazon marketplace in the UK. If I ever have the time and the money I might get a laserdisc player and hunt them down from US sellers.

Looney, did the US not get the entire series on VHS? I know the laserdiscs were released in a funny and incomplete order, but I didn't realise that the VHS was released concurrently with them. Here in the UK everything was released in order, I think the videos for season 1 came out during when season 2 was airing. I had all of them, plus boxsets of the TV movies and Crusade (and spent a fortune on them, £10-13 for two episodes – that's where all my pocket money went as a teenager!), they took up most of a small bookcase! I've thrown most of them away now as they were taking up space in my parent's loft, though I kept the FX-heavy episodes knowing that the DVDs didn't do them justice, and kept the sleeves of the videos that I did throw out (lots of nostalgia wrapped up in those cover sleeves!). I've got a few episodes from iTunes, I've been meaning to download the whole show though.

So there were two U.S. VHS release. The main WB VHS release did the same thing as the laserdiscs, 1, 5, part of 2 and part of 4. The mail order company COLUMBIA HOUSE started releasing two episode VHS tapes prior to the WB release. I don't know if they did all 5 seasons, but I don't think so. Like the laserdiscs, the COLUMIBIA HOUSE release was pretty ridiculous. I remember I started buying them and I think it was $24.95 per TWO EPISODE tape. To my knowledge, the entire series was not released on VHS in the U.S.

So there were two U.S. VHS release. The main WB VHS release did the same thing as the laserdiscs, 1, 5, part of 2 and part of 4. The mail order company COLUMBIA HOUSE started releasing two episode VHS tapes prior to the WB release. I don't know if they did all 5 seasons, but I don't think so. Like the laserdiscs, the COLUMIBIA HOUSE release was pretty ridiculous. I remember I started buying them and I think it was $24.95 per TWO EPISODE tape. To my knowledge, the entire series was not released on VHS in the U.S.

The Laserdiscs were also sold with two episodes per disc. They were priced about the same as Columbia House VHS tapes. I have Laserdiscs Volume 5.3 through 5.7 (Season 5 Episodes "The Paragon of Animals" through "The Ragged Edge"). I had recorded all the episodes for season 1-4 on my VHS hifi VCR from the PTEN syndicated broadcasts. I couldn't watch season 5 on TNT because I didn't have cable, it still isn't available in my area and DirecTV and Dish Network hadn't been established yet. The only way I would have been able to watch TNT and TBS would be to put up a 10 ft diameter or bigger C-band satellite dish, buy a lot of hardware to down convert the scrambled signal and pay each provider a monthly fee to descramble and watch their programming. I stopped buying the LDs when DVDs became available and production was shifted from LDs to DVDs. That was the first time I saw rest of season 5 and Crusade was when I purchased the DVDs.

Yes I am very glad I have almost all of the laserdiscs, though I don't actually have a player - but a friend does.

I REALLY wish I'd recorded every episode when they aired. I have a few, but I did most of them on the lowest setting to fit as many on a tape as possible. I don't know why. I am such an idiot. :rolleyes:

It isn't just the Laserdiscs. My player is a Pioneer with 5.1 AC3 audio. I requires a compatible AV receiver that will accept 5.1 AC3 rf input from the Laserdisc AC3 rf output and a coaxial cable to go between the two to get full audio output.

Although IIRC the B5 LDs are only in Dolby 2.0 surround. For B5 LDs it isn't an issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Back