• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Cool stuff throughout the show

Just watching this now for about the fourth time. Am enjoying it a lot more picking up small things I still missed the other three times! For instance, the guy that shoots Garibaldi at the end of the season is in the episode 'Mind War' (1.6). There are two or three sequences where he communicates telepathically with Bester, and its clear on a re-watch that he is slipping Bester information about Ironheart. Great stuff.

What is interesting is how well most of the cast nailed their characters first time around. Garibaldi, G'kar, Londo and Delenn are all perfect.

'The sky full of stars' is coming up next. Cannot wait. I loved that.

Re: Cool stuff in season 1

Just watching this now for about the fourth time. Am enjoying it a lot more picking up small things I still missed the other three times! For instance, the guy that shoots Garibaldi at the end of the season is in the episode 'Mind War' (1.6). There are two or three sequences where he communicates telepathically with Bester, and its clear on a re-watch that he is slipping Bester information about Ironheart. Great stuff.

What is interesting is how well most of the cast nailed their characters first time around. Garibaldi, G'kar, Londo and Delenn are all perfect.

'The sky full of stars' is coming up next. Cannot wait. I loved that.

Really? I must've seen Mind War at least 5 times. I know he was in earlier episodes in the background, but, I never noticed this. I'm planning on rewatching the series again after regular primetime shows start to end, definitely gonna watch for this.

I don't know if "Garibaldi's Aid" was specifically communicating with Bester, it was just a plot point (later discarded) that telepaths prefer to communicate that way rather than going through the trouble of speaking - a habit they are told to stop while onboard the station.

Dramatically speaking, it would have been much cooler had Takashima stayed on and been the one to shoot Garibaldi.

It was open to intepretation. In one sequence, Jack and another security officer encounter Bester, and tell him 'its just a drill'. It was implied that Bester scanned them and found out they were lying, but given that Jack was there as a sleeper agent for Psi-Corp (he later uses the same prisoner style wave as Bester) it would be cool to assume otherwise.

Takashima would have been a cool ploy I agree. Shame her acting sucked.

Watched the War prayer, generally a bit sucky, but Londo describes his wives as Pestilence, Famine and Death. This implies that he is War. A nice bit of foreshadowing there.

Just watching this now for about the fourth time. Am enjoying it a lot more picking up small things I still missed the other three times! For instance, the guy that shoots Garibaldi at the end of the season

Garibaldi's Aide (Macaulay Bruton)

... is in the episode 'Mind War' (1.6). There are two or three sequences where he communicates telepathically with Bester,....

Well, sort of. Garibaldi's Aide is in two sequences, the first with Bester and Kelsey at the entrance to B5 when he reads Bester's identicard. There, Bester initiates contact telepathically, and Garibaldi's Aide "heard" Bester's projection into his thoughts, but he does NOT respond to Bester's questions via thought (for Bester to read), but instead responds via talking aloud, thereby annoying Bester. Didn't you notice the annoyed look on Bester's face?

The second and last scene Garibaldi's Aide has in "Mind War" is when he tells Sinclair that there are some VIPs who want to see him. In that scene, Garibaldi's Aide has no communication with Bester or Kelsey at all. He just announced them to Sinclair, and left.

Later, when Bester and Kelsey bump into two security personnel (two grunts, one male and one female) in a hallway, Bester asks what's going on, and the male (who is NOT Garibaldi's aide), responds via talking aloud that it's just a drill. I doubt either of those two security personnel intentionally divulged anything to Bester or Kelsey, any more than Garibaldi did earlier in C&C when Bester read him (sans permission, and then Garibaldi "thought" to Bester to go f*ck himself.) about the 50 quarters that needed searched.

....and its clear on a re-watch that he is slipping Bester information about Ironheart.

I think you need to rewatch "Mind War" again. ;)

It was open to intepretation. In one sequence, Jack and another security officer encounter Bester, and tell him 'its just a drill'. It was implied that Bester scanned them and found out they were lying, but given that Jack was there as a sleeper agent for Psi-Corp (he later uses the same prisoner style wave as Bester) it would be cool to assume otherwise.

That wasn't Garibaldi's Aide (Macaulay Bruton), Jack as you call him. Those were two low level security grunts, one male and one female.

I was sure it was the same guy. Will re-watch again ...

In my defence, I'm getting married this week, so my head is all over the shop.

Last edited:

I always thought season one was woefully underrated, that's the season where I fell in love with the series. Sure, they had a lot of kinks to work out, some of the fist fights were kind of silly, some of the guest acting not so good. But some of the best episodes were in the first season. And they drop so many hints at the future. 'Infection', the first episode filmed, is where they introduce organic technology, as well as first mentioning Earth's bio weapons programs, and their ominous obsession with obtaining new technology for planetary security. And IPX being a front for Earth's black ops programs. All these themes continue all the way through Crusade. That's just solid storytelling.

And one of my favorite things they did with the series was to use the first season to establish the B5 universe. Then they use the rest of the seasons to tear it all down, upending the way things were. Crusade had begun this process as well, it seems, just loaded with detail and ticking time bomb elements. Damn I miss that show.

And congratulations, Darth Librarian!

Raw Shark

"It's awful to see all those starving people in Africa. I mean, I would love to be that thin, but without all the flies and death and stuff."
Mariah Carey

In my defence, I'm getting married this week, so my head is all over the shop.

So you have finally turned to the Dark Side Darth :eek:

Congratulations are in order I suppose so congratulations on not being allowed out drinking with your mates,to look at other women and watch what you want on tv ;)

ok i didn't catch this the other 4 times i watched b5 on dvd..

but the first ep, where sinclair is framed for killing Kosh...then deathwalker's buds -
and i didn't make the connection that the wind swords were responsible for both. I thought that was interesting.

Then this is later on in the seasons...the Katlyin character who's a singer - she is mentioned again when marcus is on the white star, and susan is dying...and he is researching Franklin's logs. franklin mentions her as dead.

so that's another thing i missed.

From the second time I watched B5, I noticed how Delenn was building the support for the triluminary she used in Crysalis whenever they'd show her in her quarters. This from about midway in the 1st season.

i never even noticed her building the triluminary. it wasn't till someone pointed it out later on i noticed.

but, since you brought it up. it took delenn all season to build that, and sinclair - he built it in 15 mins..or however long it takes to travel 1000 years back in time...

what was up with that! lol

Remember Delenn's conversation with Kosh in "Chrysalis?"

"I have great doubts. I must know if it's true. I must see with my own eyes." Kosh comes out of his encounter suit. Delenn says ""Yes, thank you. Now I will keep the promise."

What was it that she had to know was "true" that would respond to her "great doubts?"

I only understood that exchange when In the Beginning came out. Dukhat said ""If you ever have doubt about your actions, all you need do is look upon the face of a Vorlon. Once you see that all doubt is erased forever."

What Delenn was asking for was to see the face of Kosh, to erase her doubts. Once she sees that, she is satisfied.

What is cool about this is that Delenn's response to Dukhat's words come, in show time, more than three years before he says them!

Actually the answer to that was revealed in the season 2 finale. When Kosh saved Sheridan, he appeared as an angel. This imagery- the idea that Vorlons are demigods- motivates and inspires Delenn for the first half the series.

One of my favorite threads of the show is how she turns against some of her most cherished beliefs to arrive at greater truths and stronger self-determination.

ok i don't want to start another thread..but i never did get sheridian's kosh dream..

you are the hand, do you know who i am?

ok so telepaths were the key and susan was a telepath..thus telepaths defeated the shadows..

and what was the 'you are the hand'.?

but what's with the crow?

and psi cop?

was this part of the telepath's in chriogentic tubes?

and i didn't make the connection that the hardware in the telepaths were put in by those same aliens that kidnapped john.

ok i don't want to start another thread..but i never did get sheridian's kosh dream..

you are the hand, do you know who i am?

ok so telepaths were the key and susan was a telepath..thus telepaths defeated the shadows..

and what was the 'you are the hand'.?

but what's with the crow?

and psi cop?

was this part of the telepath's in chriogentic tubes?

and i didn't make the connection that the hardware in the telepaths were put in by those same aliens that kidnapped john.

Check out the Lurker's guide starting with the Dream episode and working your way forward, I believe there are some inciteful comments regarding this whole thing

Sheridan himself comes up with an explanation late in Season 3... although I'm not convinced he'd figured everything out. "The Man In Between" may not be who he thinks, at that point.

Latest posts

Members online

Back