• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

If I wasn't already a vegetarian, this much spam would make me one.

vacantlook

Super Moderator
I just wanted to let any actual living beings who're trying to visit this forum know that I am totally aware of the spam infestation currently underway. A larger fix beyond my capabilities needs to be implemented to stop it, but I'm doing what I can to try to delete as many threads as I can until then. It is overwhelming. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Holy crap!!!! there's over 15 pages of this shit!!!! Is there some way to delete all postings by a "member"? Or maybe place a limit on # of posts per day by a new "member"?
Good luck!!!

That's how many pages you can see; the literal thousands of posts I've deleted aren't visible to you. Just for fun, I went and hunted down the current page (that I can see) that the first post from these spam bots is on; it's page 280. So that makes it well over 5000 spam posts that these bots have made.

VL, the forum I moderate is on Vbulletin, too and I'm able to delete all posts by a poster and ban them at the same time. Any idea if that would work for you? The first poster I clicked on had 570 posts so that might speed things up? Unless you're doing it that way already, in which case you've got my sympathies!

Jan

From the best I've been able to find, I can delete threads to a maximum of 200 at a time but don't have any banning abilities being just a moderator (that's for the administrators), unless I've missed something somewhere.

Edit: Well, I think I've got all of the posts deleted now.

Last edited:
Good luck staying ahead of them then. Sounds like they may need to close registration for a while.

Merry Christmas anyway!

Good luck staying ahead of them then. Sounds like they may need to close registration for a while.

Merry Christmas anyway!

Sounds like we need a Holodemon to go after them and destroy their means of well....everything.

I don't have much of a problem with spam in Babbleon. Occasionally a spam thread will show up and I just delete it. Now, Babbleon can be a scary place because there's so much insanity that goes on there. It scares regular members here, so it probably scares spammers too. :LOL:

It seems as if the spambots have been blasted, so I'm de-stickying this thread. I deleted thousands of spam posts, but if I missed any that you can see, please let me know.

I had to log out to see what you described. When I'm logged in, I still see all of the deleted posts. So for me, logged in, the posts you alerted me to are lost in amongst the thousands of deleted ones. I'm in the process of going through the couple hundred pages of deleted posts to hunt down the ones I missed now.

Edit: Ok, I think I've got them all now. Thanks for letting me know there were some I had missed; I probably wouldn't have realized it without the note.

Last edited:
I had to log out to see what you described. When I'm logged in, I still see all of the deleted posts. So for me, logged in, the posts you alerted me to are lost in amongst the thousands of deleted ones. I'm in the process of going through the couple hundred pages of deleted posts to hunt down the ones I missed now.

Edit: Ok, I think I've got them all now. Thanks for letting me know there were some I had missed; I probably wouldn't have realized it without the note.
Anytime, can't imagine the mountain of work they caused you

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back