• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Most Annoying Guest Character In B5?

I really, really, really hated Sebastian, a.k.a. the Inquisitor. Not because the character was badly acted or anything (love WA as Lorien and Drakh) but because I hated the denouement, why, oh why did Sebastian have to be Jack the Ripper? That just completely ruined the episode for me. Detest that episode so much I usually skip Comes The Inquisitor along with Intersections in Real Time. I find the enclosed episodes really boring and not the least interesting. The only exception to that is when we find out about the hole in Sinclair's mind when he's stuck in the holonet.

Byron isn't a favorite of mine either, but that's mainly because the teep plot came after the big climax of the 4th season and because the actor didn't have the charisma to really pull it off. He's good enough as a Minbari earlier in the show, though.

Last edited:
Sebastian being Jack The Ripper helps to make one go, "Ok, he works for the Vorlons; what the heck is up with them!?"

One of the characters I didn't like was Liana Kemmer. She had a history with Garibaldi and blamed him for her father's death. She was bitter and angry and I believe that bitterness affected her judgement and her performance on her job. She let her feelings toward Garibaldi make her do things that she should not have being an Earthforce officer.

I agree with you for about 40 minutes. I liked her with her hair down and after she had chilled out and made piece with Garibaldi.

But that's entirely superficial.

Here we go again: does that count for the purposes of the question heading this thread? I mean, if a character is meant to be annoying (so we get to feel a bit of what Garibaldi must have felt), does that count as far as the question is concerned? I'm pretty sure she was supposed to come off just that way, to kind of put us in Garibaldi's place.

I think it counts for the purposes of this thread if the character is meant to be annoying... because then it's a way for us to acknowledge that the character has done exactly what they were meant to do.

Annoying doesn't equate with rubbish... does it?

Like in Abigail's Party... I so hated the female lead of that... but it was when someone pointed out to me that this was exactly the emotional response I was supposed to experience... that I first understood conceptual comedy that would lead to shows like the Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I was purely talking from a romantically interested POV though:devil:

I thot Draal was a really big dork. Both actors. It's a drag for me when he shows up in an episode, just bla bla blah. And besides, sacrifice is not a trait limited to Sentient beings. All kinds of creatures make sacrifices, like possums, and me when i sit thru Draal scenes.

I thot Ben Zayn was a good character, just not the type of character i would invite for dinner.

I like Ari Ben Zayn too, even though he creeps me out big time. But he's supposed to, so again it works.

A fair point about Sebastian and the Vorlons, vacantlook. I hadn't thought of it that way before. Quite coincidentally, I caught the final 15 minutes of the episode yesterday on TV, and I think I finally made my peace with that ep. Now my least favorite episode by far is Intersections in Real Time, although even there the inquisitor was played very well.

There was that Centauri noble, Virini, Morini? He was the minister who became Regent. Bit of a goof. But i really started to like him by the end of it,

I loathed that chick who was Sheridan's PR lady, the one who tried to get him in the sack? I know she was meant to be annoying, but it was just so utterly cliche and weird/freaky.

I think it counts for the purposes of this thread if the character is meant to be annoying... because then it's a way for us to acknowledge that the character has done exactly what they were meant to do.
The thing is that "purposely annoying characters done effectively" and "poorly done characters that inadvertantly become annoying" are two *very* different concepts ...... and two *very* different lists.

A list could very reasonably be made for either concept, but it makes no sense to me to combine both groups into the same list.

I loathed that chick who was Sheridan's PR lady, the one who tried to get him in the sack? I know she was meant to be annoying, but it was just so utterly cliche and weird/freaky.

I used to laugh and call her a.....

Nevermind, this is a family friendly forum. :LOL:

I can't believe no one's mentioned the commander of B4. I'm very tolerant of bad acting, but that was egregious.

The B4 Captain looked really old-fashioned. As if he spent time in the station's wooden saloon drinking moonshine. I liked that about him. He would have looked great with a handlebar moustache.

loved Ari Ben Zayn. Does this make me weird?

Shaal Mayan was annoying.

You and me, man- same page, totally.

Shaal Mayan comes off like some soul-sucking fun-killing homeroom teacher, whose job is to tell you what's "not funny" when you and I and everyone else in the class knows perfectly well what's funny, thank you very much.

Ben Zayn- god love him, how can anyone NOT love the guy? Scenery chewing rules, and no one one-off character did it quite like him.

And sharing screen space with Wayun from DS9? It's like the Super Bowl of sci-fi guest star scenery chewers. That scene where he finally cracks... brilliant, simply brilliant. I can watch that a million times and I still expect vein to burst over his left temple.

Ever since my sister watched that episode (she's gonna re-watch it w/ her bf, so that's at least one and now potentially two B5 conversts notched in my belt), I do my Ben Zayn impression pretty much every time I visit home. "SinCLAAAAIIIIRRRRR!!!" Priceless.

All kinds of creatures make sacrifices, like possums, and me when i sit thru Draal scenes.

lol

Heh, Shaal Mayan, Draal... goddamn but the Minbari truly do suck.

Virini, Morini

Boni Moroni? Tutti Frutti?

I liked that about him. He would have looked great with a handlebar moustache.

You're funny, dude. Post in forums I read more often.

UN.....

STUCK....

You know, I've been meaning to do another run-through of the series, and you guys are just killing me with this stuff. I can't wait to watch it just for the bad acting.

OK, now I'm gonna pick my most annoying one-off character. This dude...

mah-chu-RI-chu... ha-cho-RI-chu

That f'n soul hunter. Seriously, what the hell is up with that dude?
Funny thing is, he was pretty sweet as G'Kar's uncle, G'Somethingorother. Grizzled old military guy- the perfect role for him. G'rizzled. I want him and Tigh from Battlestar Galactica to do a scene together- the utliimate grizzled contest.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back