• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Two Problems with VBulletin Upgrade.

KoshN

Super Moderator
Antony,

1. There's a tendency for the system to log a user off while they're typing a reply. I logged in, was accepted, was putting in a detailed reply...

http://www.b5tv.com/showpost.php?p=281464&postcount=8

...hit Submit, and it told me I wasn't logged in. Also, it looked like it lost all of my stuff. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: The old system has told me my page was invalid and lost all my stuff in the past, but this logging me out bit was new.

So, I logged back in, and it put me at the main forum page. Ack! :shocked: I clicked the "Back" button twice to go back two pages to my reply page, which it said was Expired :shocked: , and I refreshed the page and got my stuff back (Whew! I wasn't going to type all that in again.) Is there some sort of time limit to composing replies, when it automatically logs a person out? Do I have to go back to composing messages in a separate text editor to not risk losing stuff I've taken the time to research, find a quote in a novel, check a DVD, etc.?

2. Would you please up the avatar KB limit for us plain members a bit to correspond with the increase from 80x80 to 100x100.
See http://www.b5tv.com/showpost.php?p=281398&postcount=46

Last edited:
Antony,

1. There's a tendency for the system to log a user off while they're typing a reply. I logged in, was accepted, was putting in a detailed reply...

It sounds like a cookie issue. Make sure you don't have any security/internet privacy software running. If you do, add www.b5tv.com to the approved list. If you use IE add www.b5tv.com to your trusted sites (let me know if you don't know how to).

2. Would you please up the avatar KB limit for us plain members a bit to correspond with the increase from 80x80 to 100x100.

Done. Although if a 100x100 JPEG is taking more than 10K you're not compressing it enough. There's really no need for a JPEG of those dimensions to be anymore than about 5K.

It sounds like a cookie issue. Make sure you don't have any security/internet privacy software running. If you do, add www.b5tv.com to the approved list. If you use IE add www.b5tv.com to your trusted sites (let me know if you don't know how to).

Done. But it just did it again. Maybe I've got to boot the machine after the change. It didn't say that I had to. I'll just get back into the habit of copying the reply to Notepad immediately before I hit the Submit Reply button. ;)

Thanks! :D

Although if a 100x100 JPEG is taking more than 10K you're not compressing it enough. There's really no need for a JPEG of those dimensions to be anymore than about 5K.

Hmm, JPG-0 (the compression level I'm using to get 13K) is as far as it's possible to compress in Photoshop. My version goes from JPG-0 to JPG-10, with 0 being the lowest quality/smallest filesize.

Vorlons2_100100.tif = 37KB
Vorlons2_100100.jpg (a JPG-0) = 10KB
Vorlons2_100100sharp.jpg (a JPG-0) = 13KB

Got the original? I'd be interested to see how well our program (Xara Xtreme) can do it.

I post on the AV Science Forum, which must be on VBulletin, because it looks identical. I've not had a problem with it (AVS) logging me off while composing a reply. I've made some long replies there, and never lost a one. AVS does log off after some period of inactivity, probably an hour or less. My biggest problem with it is that if I spend too long on one thread, making a reply, or not, say 30 - 60 minutes, it will lose the unread designations on everything on the site! I haven't encountered that here, and hope I don't!

I post on the AV Science Forum, which must be on VBulletin, because it looks identical.

So does the JMS News Forum, btw. Don't remember if I had that problem there because until today, the last time I was on there was in June 2005. :eek:

Correction: It does the same thing on the JMS News Forum. I just had to log back in after hitting Submit Message.

Last edited:
Well, VBulletin is logging me off if I am not active for a while. After less than an hour, I think. UBB didn't do that.

If you're getting it at more than one board then it must be you. If you have added our site to your approved list and turned off any security software, then I don't have any further ideas.

I have no problems but I use MSN explorer shit because it is so easy.Stick your fancy shit up your arse,stick to basics and you'll be OK.

I've used this type of forum before,easy enough to use.

You know you can update your smilies to the 21st centuary now:p

MY browser is Firefox. I was just logged out while I was making a post! That has never happened before on the other site I frequent that has VBulletin.

If you're getting it at more than one board then it must be you. If you have added our site to your approved list and turned off any security software, then I don't have any further ideas.

No biggie. I'm just going to put up with it.

Just a question: have you clicked the "remember me" button on the login screen? I was being logged out too and since I've clicked that button, it hasn't happened anymore.

Just a question: have you clicked the "remember me" button on the login screen? I was being logged out too and since I've clicked that button, it hasn't happened anymore.

Nope. I'll try that. Thanks. :)

BTW, I thought that was so that we wouldn't have to type in our username each time. Since mine's so short, and I can get it by double-clicking on the username box and picking it, I didn't bother.

Last edited:
you also dont have to enter your password it just logs you on when you load the page and logs you out when you close it

That worked! Markas, you da man! :D

...Now I just have to get into the habit of putting the checkmark in the Remember Me box every time I login. No biggie. MUCH BETTER than having to re-login every 5 minutes!

you only have to do it once per computer unless you press log out before you leave the website

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back