Thread: The Wind Swords
View Single Post
Old October 28th 17, 04:35   #6
Raw Shark
Commander

Re: The Wind Swords

In one of the Technomage novels, someone thinks (maybe Kosh?) about how the Shadows have evolved to the same extent that the Vorlons have, that they are energy beings, but still prefer to use physical bodies. I haven't read those books in a while, so I can't tell you which book or page, or the exact quote. I think that trilogy is considered 'mostly canon' or something along those lines.

I hadn't heard about those JMS posts on the assassination details, I'll check them out, thanks! I also mainly rely on the Lurker's Guide for such insights. That page is so great.

I find it kind of funny that I even brought all this up. I don't really enjoy The Gathering all that much, although I did enjoy some of the performances, and Stewart Copeland's soundtrack. JMS said that it was filmed using a five year old script, and clearly the story went in different directions once the series began. They largely moved away from the sinister Minbari Warrior Caste stories, with a few notable exceptions. But we never even saw a Wind Sword after The Gathering, either on-screen or in the books or comics, as far as I know. Yet another thing I always liked about B5, JMS' willingness to jettison plot lines in favor of more interesting ones he came up with along the way. The flexibility of his storytelling is really impressive. But I also like how the ongoing tensions, suspicions and resentment from the Earth-Minbari War never disappeared. For much of my childhood, the bitterness over the Vietnam War cast such a shadow over the United States, and it does take time to move on. It was refreshing to see such depth in a war story on a television science fiction series, I think exploring the psychological aftermath of a conflict was almost unheard of at the time.

Raw Shark

"The only good bug is a dead bug!"
- Some angry guy (who's made a lot of great films)
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote