• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Dresden Files

I missed the very last episode that aired for the show on TV so I figured I could Netflix it. I forgot that the SciFi channel F'ed with the order of the episodes so the disc I got had all the episodes that I had already seen. Now I'm on the fence... I don't know if I want to buy the box set or just let it go.

After you watch the show, read the books. Then, you'll never want to go back to the show. I liked the show when I first saw it, but after reading the first four books, it's obvious that they changed so many things to make the show (some truly needless changes), that the two are not really compatible.

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: April 1, 2000
ISBN-10: 0451457811
ISBN-13: 978-0451457813
Price: $7.99

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: January 1, 2001
ISBN-10: 0451458125
ISBN-13: 978-0451458124

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: September 1, 2001
ISBN-10: 0451458443
ISBN-13: 978-0451458445

Summer Knight: (The Dresden Files, Book 4)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: September 3, 2002
ISBN-10: 0451458923
ISBN-13: 978-0451458926

Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: August 5, 2003
ISBN-10: 0451459407
ISBN-13: 978-0451459404

Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, Book 6)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: August 3, 2004
ISBN-10: 0451459873
ISBN-13: 978-0451459879

Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, Book 7)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: May 2, 2006
ISBN-10: 045146091X
ISBN-13: 978-0451460912

Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: February 6, 2007
ISBN-10: 0451461037
ISBN-13: 978-0451461032

White Night (The Dresden Files, Book 9)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: February 5, 2008
ISBN-10: 045146155X
ISBN-13: 978-0451461551

Small Favor (The Dresden Files, Book 10)
by Jim Butcher
Publication Date: April 1, 2008 (Hardcover. It just came out.)
ISBN-10: 0451461894
ISBN-13: 978-0451461896
Price: $14.37

I was watching Deadwood the other day and the guy who played Dresden turned up in it. He was a hired gun that shot a cornish worker in a bar & then later he got his throat slit by Swaringen. At least the guy is getting work.

Did you notice that when he was talking to Bianca in flashback in Storm Front, that he slipped into his native English accent? That's be like Hugh Laurie accidentally slipping into his native accent in House M.D. :eek: :eek: :eek: Paul Blackthorne also appeared in an episode of Monk (Mr. Monk and the Leper).

Since I'm looking for a new book series to pick up I just might check those out. Brisinger is coming out soon but I could probably fit one in before it gets here. :thumbsup:

I got the first 3 books and was able to read two before Brisinger came out. ;)

I guess they turned each book into a single episode... that kinda pisses me off since there's so much story being shoved into a 40 some minute episode. And as I'm reading I'm trying to compare it to whichever episode I can remember it being from... by the time I get to the end of the book there's a different ending anyway. I mean... I like the surprise but at the same time it's a little disappointing.

Murphy is a blonde... that I like more. :drool:

So, yeah... I liked what I've read so far & I ordered the rest of the books. Well at least up till 9 since I'm getting paperback ones.

There are two graphic novels coming out in October, Welcome to the Jungle and Backup. Jungle is a prequel to Storm front over multiple issues.

Backup is from the viewpoint of Thomas Raith.....spoiler

Dresden's brother is watching out for him in this one.

Next spring book # 11 Turncoat will be coming out! :thumbsup:

Having just read book 3 I know who Thomas Raith is. :p I got a little sick of book 3 at certain points but I liked the ending. And I didn't like Susan so I'm glad she's a vamp now... or whatever she is.

Bianca... dead. Didn't see that coming because in the show they were buddies..... sex budies. :p

Having just read book 3 I know who Thomas Raith is. :p I got a little sick of book 3 at certain points but I liked the ending. And I didn't like Susan so I'm glad she's a vamp now... or whatever she is.

Susan grows on you. ;) Murphy, too. Wait 'till you get through Book 5.

Bianca... dead. Didn't see that coming because in the show they were buddies..... sex budies. :p

Yeah, kinda different from in Book 3, when she's bent on Harry's destruction, eh? Given that, what are the odds he'd have given her permission to come into his place? Bob's reaction in the TV series was true to form.

Plus, in the books, Bianca's a completely inhuman monster in a flesh mask, and Harry's seen what's underneath Red Court vampire flesh masks, including Bianca's. In the TV series, Bianca transforms into a really nasty looking humanoid (full black, eyes; fangs, etc.) but nothing like the slimy, large, bat-like creature with flabby wings and dripping Red Court vampire narcotic venom like in the books.

Last edited:
Murphy is a blonde... that I like more. :drool:

Susan as a blonde (in the TV series), I like more. I like that actress. Ditto for the one who played Bianca. :D

If I were going to cast a brunette as Susan, I'd pick Alicia Coppola (from Jericho).

Susan grows on you. ;) Murphy, too. Wait 'till you get through Book 5.

Just finished 6 last night... I like Susan more now but since they're not together I kinda want him to hook up with Murphy. It feels like they're bonding. :p

kincaid is a cool character... I'm looking forward to seeing him some more.

Mouse is a stupid name for a dog. ;)

Just finished 6 last night... I like Susan more now but since they're not together I kinda want him to hook up with Murphy. It feels like they're bonding. :p

kincaid is a cool character... I'm looking forward to seeing him some more.

Mouse is a stupid name for a dog. ;)

Good grief Speedy Gonzales, you passed me right up! I haven't even had time to crack Book 6 open since I last posted, and am only 15 pages into it.

Kincaid, the Archive's (Ivy's) driver from Book 5? He shows up in Book 6? ...or were you talking about Book 5 there? I know he was going to hook Harry up with the guy who makes those special incendiary shotgun shells. Naah, don't tell me.

Where I am in Book 5, I can't see Harry and Murphy hooking up.

I had to go down to South Carolina for my cousin's wedding... 12 hours in the car both ways. ;)

Yeah... Kincaid is in Book 6. I guesss he put Harry in touch with that guy inbetween books because Harry just calls him out of the blue and he turns up in book 6. I won't give any more details on that. They give more story for Kincaid... ;)

When I read 6 I just got the feeling that Harry and Murphy were bonding... now I started 7 and their interaction is weird. Like maybe Harry should ask her out but he's to stupid to think about it. Maybe Murphy is playing head games with him or something. Keep in mind I'm just reading between the lines. They don't make out in book 6 or anything.

There's a pretty good twist in 6 also. Enjoy that one. :p

Well now I'm all caught up and waiting for the next book... I hate that.

If I read 'em that quickly, I wouldn't enjoy 'em. It'd be kind of like wolfing down a favorite meal. Had to force myself not to race through "The Passing of the Techno-mages" because there was nothing more after that and I didn't want it to be over too quickly. I'm currently about 3/4ths of the way through "Blood Rites" (Book 6) and was disappointed at how easily Mavra was dispatched and how she never even tried to use magic against Harry, Murphy & Kincaid (so we got no sense of Ebenezer shutting down her powers.). I left off at the point where Ebenezer is beginning to come clean with Harry.

I'm seeing what you mentioned about the warm-up between Harry and Murphy.

Ohh... I took enough time to enjoy them. If I read something I like sometimes I read the page over & over before moving on & since I'm done now I can always go backand re-read certain spots. I've moved on to the Codex Alera books & I'm starting to think that I don't like them. Guess I should of just bought the first book & went from there.

I'm hoping that Ebenezer eventually retires and Dresden becomes the next Blackstaff. He could go up against the Merlin all he wants then. ;)

Kincaid says something about how Mavra wouldn't go down that easy. I think it was Kincaid. ;)

KEEP READING...

Dresden does hook up with somebody... :p

You haven't got to the part where Harry gets a new job offer. :p

Thomas finds a way to cheat the vampire system.

& Harry gets an apprentice.

I'm hoping that Ebenezer eventually retires and Dresden becomes the next Blackstaff. He could go up against the Merlin all he wants then. ;)

I don't think Harry would like that, being the Blackstaff.

Kincaid says something about how Mavra wouldn't go down that easy. I think it was Kincaid. ;)

I guess you mean that it was Kincaid who said that, right?...not that Kincaid was the one who made the difference. Ebenezer was the one who was shutting down her powers, and probably the reason she went only for conventional means... Renfields, darkhounds, that anti-personnel mine, and her traditional Black Court vampire abilities.

KEEP READING...

Dresden does hook up with somebody... :p

You haven't got to the part where Harry gets a new job offer. :p

Thomas finds a way to cheat the vampire system.

& Harry gets an apprentice.

Oooh, appetizers! :)

ps.Was it ever said what breed of dog the notch-eared puppy is?

Last edited:
I don't think Harry would like that, being the Blackstaff.
He might like it. He could do whatever he wanted and the council couldn't do crap to him.

I guess you mean that it was Kincaid who said that, right?...not that Kincaid was the one who made the difference. Ebenezer was the one who was shutting down her powers, and probably the reason she went only for conventional means... Renfields, darkhounds, that anti-personnel mine, and her traditional Black Court vampire abilities.
She was waiting for Harry to show up... & thanks to Ebenezer she couldn't really fight back. All I'm saying is that somebody implied that Mavra wouldn't be stupid enough to go out like that. I'm pretty sure it was Kincaid that said that to Harry. I could give you more details but I don't want to ruin any of the newer books for you. ;)

ps.Was it ever said what breed of dog the notch-eared puppy is?
Elaine calls it a Temple Dog in White Knight... He gets BIG. ;)

She was waiting for Harry to show up... & thanks to Ebenezer she couldn't really fight back. All I'm saying is that somebody implied that Mavra wouldn't be stupid enough to go out like that. I'm pretty sure it was Kincaid that said that to Harry. I could give you more details but I don't want to ruin any of the newer books for you. ;)

Ah, it was in Book #6 "Blood Rites" (which I finished today, Dec. 1, 2008.) on page 368. Kincaid implies that it probably wasn't Mavra that they killed, but some flunky vamp dressed as Mavra, who Mavra paraded out to fool Harry and the rest, and that Mavra is likely still around.

In fact, there are three nasties listed at the end that are still around and will likely be trouble later:

Mavra (I thought that was too easy!)
He Who Walks Behind (unkillable)
and
Lasciel (the Fallen Angel, still able to touch Harry from her prison in the coin buried two feet down in the concrete of Harry's lab and surrounded by half a dozen warding spells)

Elaine calls it a Temple Dog in White Knight... He gets BIG. ;)
Hence on the last page of Book #6...

Harry (to Thomas): "Hey. Why did you get Large Breed Puppy Chow?" :LOL:

Harry (to Thomas): "Hey. Why did you get Large Breed Puppy Chow?" :LOL:
Yeah... it gets BIG.

In Proven Guilty Charity Carpenter says, "He looks something like a Caucasian." & then adds... "It's a dog bred in the Soviet Union in the Caucasus Mountains for use in secured military installations. It's one of the only breeds that grow so large. But they tend to be a great deal more aggressive than your dog."

It's weird because I went looking for that and turned right to the page. Found it without really looking. :p

According to Elaine in White Knight Temple Dogs are very rare. He basically got the real version of one of those stone dogs that smelled the blood on his hand in book 4. They're incredibly loyal to their masters and they have magical powers of their own.

In the Thomas spin off book he says Mouse can understand human speech.

I'm getting the feeling that him and Morgan are gonna become friends in the new book. The Merlin is the guy who's coming down on Harry the most. Morgan tried to provoke him on the Merlin's behalf.

They're incredibly loyal to their masters and they have magical powers of their own.

Ooh, I'm looking forward to this.

In the Thomas spin off book he says Mouse can understand human speech.

The Thomas spin off book? What??? What are you talking about? ISBNs please.

I'm getting the feeling that him and Morgan are gonna become friends in the new book.

Well, that'll certainly be different.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back