• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Best SciFi Theme Tune"

X-Files and Twilight Zone, natch. Hitchhikers' was good too. BSG and Buffy are very deserving as well.

B5 may suffer somewhat by having five different themes... all good, but not so much consistency.

I definitely think Star Trek, X-Files, and The Twilight Zone belong. As much as I love Buffy, I don't know if it belongs; I think I'd more like to see Firefly on there considering the way that it has of making people sing along when they watch an episode. :D If the Doctor Who theme is much the same as the theme used in the version of the show broadcast on The SciFi Channel, then it's ok, but it's not some big ear-catching piece of music to me. I've never heard the themes for Red Dwarf, Thunderbirds, Quantum Leap, or Hitchhikers.

I wonder how some of it is categorized; like does Star Trek include all series, or just the original? If it's just the original, I would think that The Next Generation should also be on the list. As for Babylon 5, as different as each individual seasons' themes sound, they are all variations of the same music. Even with seasons three and five sounding quite different, they are derived from the same basic theme. But if the entry for Star Trek can include both the original and TNG, then a listing for B5 could include all five variations.

I would also submit the theme from Farscape; it's so weird and out there that it really sticks in my mind. I must admit, I'm glad Stargate isn't on this list. I saw another list last week or so of some website declaring the "top 11" scifi villainous species of all time; that list omitted the Shadows of B5 and even the xenomorphs of the Alien series, but included multiple aliens from Stargate. Stargate might be fun, but it's not monumental.

It's pretty easy for me, only one ever made any kind of mark on me and that was Firefly's theme.

What's best musically is about as subjective and personal as something can be... But, for me Twilight Zone is a clear number one, ST:TOS #2, and Dr. Who #3. Mission Impossible had a great theme, and was sorta scifi, at least some of the things they did.

I think most of those on the list kinda suck frankly....

My thoughts exactly, with the exception of Galactica (liked season 1 intro better, btw.) I do enjoy the X-Files theme because it's catchy.

I'd love to see B5 in there, but which season? Season 5 is distinctly different (though that is my favorite, truth be told.)

The two coolest SciFi Theme Tunes ever are missing - The Prisoner, and .. Knight Rider. :p

Dadadadadadadadadadada Dadadadadadadadadadada .. Dim da da da, dim da da da, dim da da da-da-daaaa

The Prisoner's theme is good, but what really makes it work is the building of the penny farthing with awning that goes with it.

Yea I don't think B5 can make the list because in 5 season it had three themes. Seasons 1, 2, and 4 were essentially the base B5 theme just in different variations (which I really wasn't wild about, but it was OK). Season 3 was a completely different and darker theme to match the season, and Season 5 was different again as well.

buck rodgers is easily the best, all together now "Far beyond the world I know..."

but space above and beyond had a pretty good theme tune too.

Yea I don't think B5 can make the list because in 5 season it had three themes. Seasons 1, 2, and 4 were essentially the base B5 theme just in different variations (which I really wasn't wild about, but it was OK). Season 3 was a completely different and darker theme to match the season, and Season 5 was different again as well.

I like the extended season 1 music... I just wish it didn't have the "Asimov Starliner theme" breaking the main theme up.

What if we were talking about movies? What would be on your top 5/top 10 list (however many you want to add?)

For me (in no particular order.)

Star Wars (it's unforgettable.)
Sunshine (the music was awesome!)
Serenity
The Matrix
ET

buck rodgers is easily the best, all together now "Far beyond the world I know..."

If you mean the musical only version, I always did kind of like that. If you meant the CHEESY 80s music video version on the pilot/movie for the Buck Rogers series....well...way too corny for me. :)

BTW when Battlestar Galactica made this list....was it the original series, or the new series? Cause I think the original series music theme was FAR better and totally a classic. The new was kind of "meh"

TV Show: B5 Season 5
TV Show Non-B5: The X-Files

Movie: The Dead Zone

If you mean the musical only version, I always did kind of like that. If you meant the CHEESY 80s music video version on the pilot/movie for the Buck Rogers series....well...way too corny for me. :)

BTW when Battlestar Galactica made this list....was it the original series, or the new series? Cause I think the original series music theme was FAR better and totally a classic. The new was kind of "meh"

Old Galactica was too much of a Star Wars / space anthem ripoff, imho.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back