• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Movie and seasons order

Hello, this is my first post and I could not find this tread any where.

Where do the movies sit in relationship to the seasons? What order should they be watched?

Thanks,
TT.

Some debate about that; some people argue that "In the Beginning" should be shown before you even start S1, others feeling that you shouldn't even touch it until after "Atonement." You'll also have a few who argue that you shouldn't watch "Legend of the Rangers" at all.

I'm not sure where some of them fall, but basically you've got the chronological types versus the preserve-the-mystery types.

Chronologically speaking:

In the Beginning
The Gathering
Seasons 1-3
The first six or so eps of Season 4
Thirdspace
The rest of S4
S5
River of Souls
A Call to Arms
(Crusade)
Legend of the Rangers

Then there's the spoiler-phobe list:

the old version of The Gathering (minus Kosh's dialogue)
Seasons 1-3
First six of S4
Thirdspace
Atonement
In the Beginning
The rest of S4
S5
River of Souls
A Call to Arms
Legend of the Rangers

Personally I'd just start with the seasons and then watch the movies as I please.

KoshFan said:
Chronologically speaking:

In the Beginning
The Gathering
Seasons 1-3
[...]

Of course, it could be argued that chronologically, "In The Beginning" technically takes place long after most of the series since it's a telling of the tale of the Earth-Minbari War by Londo hours before his death.

:p

Some debate about that; some people argue that "In the Beginning" should be shown before you even start S1, others feeling that you shouldn't even touch it until after "Atonement."

Chronologically, "In the Beginning" is Londo telling a story in 2278, so it should go between Crusade and Sleeping in Light.

You'll also have a few who argue that you shouldn't watch "Legend of the Rangers" at all.

<snicker> Well, there are some parts are hideously awful, and some parts that are very good. Watch at your own risk, but you may be scarred for life. :eek: If you're a completest, watch between The River of Souls and A Call to Arms/Crusade.

I always just forget about watching them chronologically and instead watch them in the order they were made, ie. the Gathering before S1 (although that's complicated a bit by the special edition), In the Beginning and then Thirdspace after S4 (although they were filmed the other way round, they were released in that order), River of Souls and A Call to Arms after S5, Legend of the Rangers after Crusade.

I always just forget about watching them chronologically and instead watch them in the order they were made, ie. the Gathering before S1 (although that's complicated a bit by the special edition), In the Beginning and then Thirdspace after S4 (although they were filmed the other way round, they were released in that order), River of Souls and A Call to Arms after S5, Legend of the Rangers after Crusade.

I agree (with the exception of watching Legend of the Rangers before A Call to Arms and Crusade).

The Gathering
Seasons 1-4
Thirdspace & In The Beginning
Season 5
River of Souls, Legend of the Rangers & A Call to Arms
Crusade

Really works best that way, in my opinion. As for The Gathering special edition, the 'spoiler', well, isn't. You've no way of knowing what it means at the time.

As for The Gathering special edition, the 'spoiler', well, isn't. You've no way of knowing what it means at the time.

Plus, not having heard the 2 words before, you really can't understand them until you hear them later in the series, and by then, you forget you heard it in the Gathering, and only pick it up your next time through.

Plus, not having heard the 2 words before, you really can't understand them until you hear them later in the series, and by then, you forget you heard it in the Gathering, and only pick it up your next time through.

Yeah, but I wasn't thinking specifically about that, I also enjoy watching the music and the effects advance gradually over time (another reason I like to watch them in the order they were released) and the special edition of the Gathering mixes up that progression as well. For example, the Starfuries weren't originally seen until S1, and the replacement soundtrack I would classify as 'late' Christopher Franke.

Actually I really enjoyed the funky Stuart Copeland soundtrack it originally had, even though it probably wouldn't have suited the rest of the series..

Then there's the spoiler-phobe list:

the old version of The Gathering (minus Kosh's dialogue)
Seasons 1-3
First six of S4
Thirdspace
Atonement
In the Beginning
The rest of S4
S5
River of Souls
A Call to Arms
Legend of the Rangers

So you would just skip "Epiphanies" and "The Illusion of Truth"? :p

No, seriously, I assume you meant to type "first 8 of S4" instead of "first 6 of S4".

But anyway, this list isn't quite right. At the end of In the Beginning, Londo has a line of dialogue that's a major spoiler for what happens with Sheridan, and so it should not be viewed until after "Rising Star".

Well, I was gonna wait for the experts to chime in, but I was procrastinating and did those lists off the top of my head.

And I personally skip "The Illusion of Truth" because it bugs me, but that's me.

This answer was a little more involved than what I orginally thought. (I am still a little confused)

In the past, I have watched my brother's S1 to S4 and 3 of the movies. I have just bought the B5 Complete Universe off eBay and thats why I wanted to know the order to watch them. I will be rewatching the whole collection.

Thanks for everyones input.:)

TT.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I think my order (or VacantLook's) is the simplest. It also has the advantage of being the order they were made (bar my own sliding up of Legend of the Rangers) making it the easiest way to avoid spoiling episodes or lessening their impact.

Complicating things slightly (you could ignore this Terrible Tim) last time through with someone I was introducing to the series I thought it a good idea to go even further with 'order they were made' and put The Deconstruction of Falling Stars as the beginning of S5 (as it of course was, really.)

-- So, production order (exempting Sleeping In Light) to start with:

The Gathering (pilot)

Season 1-3

Season 4 up to Rising Star

Thirdspace and In the Beginning (made after Season 4)

Deconstruction of Falling Stars (esseintially the first ep of Season 5)

Season 5

-- Then stuff made after Season 5 in chronological order:

River of Souls & Legend of the Rangers (as far as my friend and I have got so far)

A Call to Arms and Crusade

Hello, this is my first post and I could not find this tread any where.

Where do the movies sit in relationship to the seasons? What order should they be watched?

Thanks,
TT.

I'm sure you have been given plenty of recommendations but I truely believe that you have to start with In The Beginning, The Gathering, Seasons 1-3, watch the first 8 episodes of season 4, Thirdspace, rest of season 4, Watch all of season 5 up to Objects at Rest, then finish the series with River of Souls, The Legend of the Rangers, Sleeping In Light and then the crossover to the Crusade series watch A Call To Arms. My recommendation extends to going to midwinter.com/lurk/countries/master/eplist.html oviously one of the best websites for B5. Again it's up to you but that's what I'm suggesting. That's my opinion anyways.

Alex

I usually watch whatever I feel like watching in whatever order that I want, (or even in no order for that matter!). :D

I usually watch whatever I feel like watching in whatever order that I want, (or even in no order for that matter!). :D

There may be times I may want to watch a specific episode for a project I'm working on or for reference but for me I completely get the full B5 effect by watching them in order. That's what's soo wonderful about the B5 universe I find B5 people to be very very nice and that all the episodes can be watched on how each one determines.

BTW--sorry Koshfan I didn't mean to post on the top thread on NEWS ONLY but I really need to know what's going on with Mira Furlan and what her thoughts are on B5 still. TLT is supposed to be 10 years after season 5 then Sheridan and Deleen are married and I would like to see Deleen back. I know I didn't have news but I didn't think to ask the question in another thread.

thanks guys
Alex

Babylon5fan07 said:
...but I really need to know what's going on with Mira Furlan and what her thoughts are on B5 still. TLT is supposed to be 10 years after season 5....

Well, Mira's not playing a main character on Lost, so I would imagine her schedule isn't too full up to prevent something being worked out for TLT.

As for the timeline of the story and TLT, the first disc is set in time as you say, but I don't think that means that every volume of TLT will be. We could see a large variety of stories in the TLT project, for which I'm excited. It feels like there's a lot of possibilities for jms to explore.

Well, Mira's not playing a main character on Lost, so I would imagine her schedule isn't too full up to prevent something being worked out for TLT.

As for the timeline of the story and TLT, the first disc is set in time as you say, but I don't think that means that every volume of TLT will be. We could see a large variety of stories in the TLT project, for which I'm excited. It feels like there's a lot of possibilities for jms to explore.

I know that I saw on imdb that Mira is in production for a new movie coming out called Apology slated for release this year according to imdb.com but I really really miss her. As much as we all love Londo, Sheridan, G'Kar, etc. I really loved Deleen the most. The whole transformation process from The Gathering up to how we know her as now during the 5 seasons just always gives me goose bumps. And I think that's why I had to include her in my avatar with Sheridan. This may sound silly but I'm getting emotional just thinking about it.

Alex

I hope it doesn't come across as me being too nitpicky, but it's Delenn, not Deleen.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I don't know where my head is..I guess with all the excitement of finding two B5 message boards last night I just seem to forget how to spell. Thank You vacantlook..sometimes I get excited and forget to slow down. Don't worry your not nitpicky..I'm still getting into the groove of things..I've been out of the B5 loop for a year or so and trying to get back into the thick of things (just been too busy):)

Latest posts

Members online

Back