• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Avengers: Infinity War

Looney

Regular
Did you see it?! :eek:

Come back and tell me when you do. :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, I loved it. No spoilers. Hope you see it so we can discuss. I was floored by some of it. I hope everyone reacts positively to it. ;) I did.

(And I will bring up the same negative I brought up on JMS News, the CG was a little lacking at times. Not a spoiler; just an observation. ) :thumbsup:

BTW - If you are planning to see this movie I would check it out ASAP because there are likely going to be spoilers EVERYWHERE very quickly.

Last edited:
I probably won't see it until it gets to HBO. But if it's still playing in the town north of me in another couple of weeks, perhaps I'll actually see a movie in the theater again. With earplugs. :)

I am shocked that I seem to be one of the very few who saw the biggest movie in the world. Definitely thought this would generate some conversations.

And Hypatia, If there is a B5 reboot feature film will you be wearing earplugs for that? Don't get me wrong, The Avengers Infinity War is a VERY loud movie, so I completely see what you are saying. Having said that I think one has to realize that a B5 Feature reboot will have, at a minimum, one VERY LOUD battle scene. LOL :thumbsup:

Anywho, without giving anything away I have been shocked by other conversations I've heard where EVERYONE is predicting the exact same thing for how Infinity War Part 2 will turn out. I for one hope they are all wrong and I think they might be. If Infinity War did one thing it was surprise me. They made some bold moves that have sparked some not so bold prognostications. I soooo want to know what is next, but I will be going into my Cone-of-Silence for the sequel; No teasers, no trailers, no news, no chance for spoilers. :LOL:

I've learned to hate spoilers, I have ever since Star Trek TNG.

And they do make earplugs you can wear at concerts. I actually learned about them here, at this board, many years ago. They are meant to keep your ability to hear, just edit out the most damaging decibels, I think. Theoretically, you should be able to hear the words and music, just not as loudly.

The only real spoiler I have run into for Infinity Wars was a question about which deaths were "permanent". :rommie:

Deaths, what death?! :guffaw:

But yes there were characters who died. And extras too. :LOL:

Speaking of decibels, I always find it amusing to be in a movie that is at a lull when all of the sudden you hear a big thud or explosion coming from a movie next door. I half expect the people in the movie I am watching to look off screen to see what the noise was. :guffaw:

I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it, as have most people I know that have seen it. I have two friends that just absolutely didn't like it. I've read very little of the comics so I don't know how true to them they were.

I am planning on seeing it...I just have not had any time to. I'll probably go next week (out of town this weekend) and I'll return after I've had a chance for a viewing. I am looking forward to it.

I've been less and less enchanted with the Marvel film/TV stuff in general, and so while I know I'd quite like some (say, Thor: Ragnarok) I've de-prioritized them all. So haven't gotten around to seeing quite a few. Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther are the exceptions. And I got somewhat spoiled for the ending so I honestly don't care all that much.

I only ever got into them because Joss Whedon wrote Avengers, which I liked but didn't love. Then he left working with them -- and now I like (but no longer love) the man himself, too, so it's very much lower on the list.

But then, a lot of things are lower on the list these days... the latest standalone Star Wars movie is the first of the series I don't actually plan to see, at least not in theaters. I don't see a lot of movies!

I know I need to see "Arrival" before someone spoils it for me. But then, I've made it this far (mostly) dodging "Inception" spoilers, so maybe I'll be okay.

....the latest standalone Star Wars movie is the first of the series I don't actually plan to see, at least not in theaters. I don't see a lot of movies!

I was kind of on this trip where the more I was hearing about this movie the less I wanted to see it. And as I've said, I hear VERY little about these movies because I avoid as much as I can because I don't want to be spoiled. I finally heard the first thing that makes me want to see it the other day. It is that someone is in it that I really want to see, but I don't know what their role is. I'm not going to give it away because I don't want to spoil it for others.

I know I need to see "Arrival" before someone spoils it for me. But then, I've made it this far (mostly) dodging "Inception" spoilers, so maybe I'll be okay.

The Arrival and Inception are two movies I somewhat enjoyed, but can't say I loved. They are both definitely worth seeing once. Unless you are talking about The Arrival (1996) with Charlie Sheen. If so I've got all kinds of spoilers for you. :guffaw:

....the latest standalone Star Wars movie is the first of the series I don't actually plan to see, at least not in theaters. I don't see a lot of movies!

I was kind of on this trip where the more I was hearing about this movie the less I wanted to see it. And as I've said, I hear VERY little about these movies because I avoid as much as I can because I don't want to be spoiled. I finally heard the first thing that makes me want to see it the other day. It is that someone is in it that I really want to see, but I don't know what their role is. I'm not going to give it away because I don't want to spoil it for others.

The Arrival and Inception are two movies I somewhat enjoyed, but can't say I loved. They are both definitely worth seeing once. Unless you are talking about The Arrival (1996) with Charlie Sheen. If so I've got all kinds of spoilers for you. :guffaw:

The Charlie Sheen's "The Arrival' is pre-spoiled, for your convenience.

I'm like hypatia, I wait until the movie makes it to premium cable. I've got a home theater system with HBO, Showtime, Epix, and Encore. It will eventually show up on one of those networks. The seating is more comfortable, I can set the sound system to my tastes, and I can pause for breaks. I also have ice cold beer and fresh popcorn.

I'm like hypatia, I wait until the movie makes it to premium cable. I've got a home theater system with HBO, Showtime, Epix, and Encore. It will eventually show up on one of those networks. The seating is more comfortable, I can set the sound system to my tastes, and I can pause for breaks. I also have ice cold beer and fresh popcorn.

I enjoy going to the movies, so I've always gone. I love it when I can make a big event out of it, but I won't lie going alone and having the room to myself is pretty awesome as well. I will admit, though, I have pretty decent opportunities to see movies. The only thing that holds me back is distance. Other than that I can see them fairly cheaply, by comparison to most, and the nearest place I can go to see them is REALLY nice, especially for the price. It is part of a three location chain in a rural area. They have to be competitive because they are locally owned and they are competing with another locally owned establishment in the same small town. So both places have pretty good prices, except on concessions. I wish they would compete on concessions, but I learned a long time ago when I work in a movie theater that most of the money that an individual location makes comes strictly from concessions. That is why the nicer of the two theaters added many menu items and got a license to sell beer and wine. They also have a rewards program that enables me to see any movie, even the newest and biggest movies, for $5 on Tuesdays. And they have Saturday morning movies for $4.50, which also includes the newest and biggest movies without being a member of the rewards program - I'm going to see Life of The Party (2018) this morning at 10:15. Usually the most I will pay there is around $9, unless there is a premium added for a 3D movie. Example: Most chains have their earlier shows for a discounted price. I went to an AMC Theater not too far away because a certain movie I wanted to see didn't come to the places nearest me. Granted it was the second show of the day because they stuck a 1pm weekday matinee in, but $10.19 to see a movie that started at 4:30 just seemed very high to me. Of course that is because I am not an AMC Stubs member and I think it is high because I usually pay much less. But I know, most places the prices can be ridiculous to go to the movies unless you are able to go to the first show of the day, which might be in the morning. I know even AMC in Houston has $5 morning movies; or they did a year ago. Okay I am rambling.

Opinion: I say TheatER when referring to a place one would see movies. I say TheatRE when referring to a place one would see plays. Does anyone think I am wrong for doing this? If so ... :p

So is this movie topic worth starting a new thread because I'd like to know more reasons why people don't go out to see movies and this thread is about a different topic?

Last edited:
I've been less and less enchanted with the Marvel film/TV stuff in general, and so while I know I'd quite like some (say, Thor: Ragnarok) I've de-prioritized them all.

What a nice way of putting it. Lowering the priority is a good description. We seem to be stick in a decades-long rut when it comes to comic-book movie adaptations. They can be great, but do we really need so many of them? :rommie:

I also need to see Arrival, maybe I will this summer, even if it was a bit spoiled for me by now.

I'd say definitely see Inception. I'm one of the few people who probably figures it could have been a bit shorter (I'm not a fan of long films), but the plot is interesting and it is actually very well paced and it is exciting. And it's one of the few that actually kept mostly to Philip K. Dick's original story.

hypatia said:
I also need to see Arrival, maybe I will this summer, even if it was a bit spoiled for me by now.

I'd say definitely see Inception. I'm one of the few people who probably figures it could have been a bit shorter (I'm not a fan of long films), but the plot is interesting and it is actually very well paced and it is exciting. And it's one of the few that actually kept mostly to Philip K. Dick's original story.

"Arrival" has been on Paramount's EPIX channels since last year, and is still in their current lineup. The next showing will be three times on Saturday, 19May 10:50 AM, 17:00 (5PM), 23:10 (11:10PM) MST/PDT on EPIX2.

"Inception" is being broadcast on IFC - 17May at 13:45 (1:45PM) MST/PDT and 18May 05:00 (5AM) MST/PDT.

Okay well I guess I didn't say this, but if you are going to prioritize one to see then I would say Thor Ragnarok (2017) should be the one. It was definitely the most entertaining Marvel film since Guardians of The Galaxy. Avengers Infinity War is really only a great movie if you have seen all of the previous movies in order.

And to the question of why we need so many Superhero movies the answer is that we don't "need" them, but apparently people want them because they make ridiculous amounts of money. Because they started making so much money that breeds the need for others to attempt to capitalize on the concept. And truth be told several of them are very entertaining and well done. The MCU isn't perfect, but they have done a decent job of creating an on going plot across 18 movies. Warner Brothers hasn't done as well, but they are also working with smaller budgets and a studio we all know doesn't appear to know how to handle franchises. ;)

Well.
What to say? I hope enough time has passed that I don't need to worry about spoilers?

It took me three days to get over Infinity War. I'm serious. I react strongly to movies sometimes but this reaction was pretty out there. I had no-one to talk about the movie with so I spent all my free time during the next days crawling all over the internet, reading blogs and whatever reviews I could find. Discussions at Tor.com gave me some much needed "company" even though I didn't write anything myself.
I have quite many "live" Potterhead friends and just enough of truly dedicated SW friends, but I have no MCU-fan friends. Except for my youngest kid, and it's a bit much to ask an 11-year-old to go on really long and convoluted speculations on various theories.
(I did manage to spend a wonderfully fulfilling fifteen minutes with a colleague after she finally went to see IW. Highly satisfactory!!)

So. What to say?
An excellent movie. Respect for some (ha! some??!!!) bold moves.
However, I cannot say I "love" or even "like" a movie which took me by COMPLETE surprise and left me breathless as if someone had hit me REALLY hard in the gut. During the final scene(s) I felt physically ill.
I hated reading the condecending comments of some people: "why were some people crying?? don't they know that X and Y still have 7 movie contracts left?? they will be bringing them back, and here's how..."
Mmm, excuse me: where does it say that a person shouldn't be affected by fiction? Would I be allowed to laugh at a comedy? Bite my nails watching a spooky thriller?
I've NEVER heard anyone say "but why is s/he laughing? It's just a movie!"
But when someone feels sadness because of a fictional story, then there's the reminders: "it's just a story!!"
Oh go boil your head!

Sorry about the rant:LOL: My blood pressure always goes up if I even think about this:LOL:

So, again, about Infinity War.
Did I already say it was excellent? It was!
But at the moment - four months after seeing it - I still cannot imagine watching it a second time.
I will, of course! But I'm NOT looking forward to it.
There were so many hard deaths. I imagine everyone has their "unfavourite" death. Facebook wonderland (marvel groups) seem to feel worst for Spider-Man. And yes, it was very emotional. (not gonna think about it, not gonna think about it :(:()
For me, it was Bucky. I won't even start with the "why".
And Loki. No. Just NO!!

I'm not against darkish superhero movies. I adore Nolan's Batman movies. The best MCU movies are Winter Soldier and Civil War - they get better at each viewing! But IW - too much...

Last edited:
Just watched it again tonight with my Dad. I made him watch all the Marvel movies he hadn't seen to get caught up. It was great. He NEVER wants to sit for any movie that is more than an hour and a half. He made it all the way through this one without a single complaint. And I am SHOCKED he was surprised by the ending. I assumed that after all this time had passed he would have read a spoiler somewhere, but he did not. I literally gasped when The Black Panther vanished. IT WAS GREAT!!!!! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

Back