• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Children of Dune (spoilers)

Re: Children of Dune

I think it's pretty good... the second episode was kinda boring but I still liked it.

Couldn't agree more. I was somewhat disappointed by the Dune mini-series, but I have very little to complain about with this one. It's been nearly 15 years since I read the Dune series, so I can't remember how faithful the adaptation actually is, but it is enjoyable to watch. My favorite scene so far comes at the end of night one when they have the "Godfather" style ending -- Alia takes out the guild representative, the reverend mother and all the heads of the five families.

Hehe... (Spoiler)

I loved it when they took Corba's water. :LOL:

I had problems with the first Dune miniseries as well.

I think the pacing, at least on night one, was far better.

Haven't seen night two yet, but I taped it. I'll tape tonight's episode as well and watch them this weekend.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised. :)

I saw bits of the first one and thought it was a little camped up and over acted.

I still intend on getting it at some point.

Speaking of acting... I can't say a lot about the actress playing Alia, except that she sounded damn good during that love scene with her priest.

Would anyone who saw all of the first miniseries say it was worth paying for on DVD?

Speaking of acting... I can't say a lot about the actress playing Alia, except that she sounded damn good during that love scene with her priest.
I second that. I wasnt watching that part, my roomie was, I was in the other room and heard her "acting" and decided it beared investigation. Impressive.

Just finished watching CoD and am not too impressed. Had its good points but also its bad points. I'll give it 3 on a scale of 5.

Damn. I have to say that I was impressed by the conclusion. I'm not a big Frank Herbert enthusiast, but it seems that adapting Dune Messiah and Children of Dune was a good idea. In retrospect, I think the problem I had with the original mini-series was that six hours was simply too much time to tell the story of Muad'Dib.... it seemed like they had to fill in the spaces with useless filler material like an increased role for Irulan. I'm not sure if they will ever be able to adapt God Emperor of Dune, which I suppose is why they're talking about a Dune: The Television Series -- go figure.

Would anyone who saw all of the first miniseries say it was worth paying for on DVD?

That's a tricky question. If there were some way you could rent it and see for yourself, that might be best.

Some people loved and some hated Dune the miniseries. My opinion fell somewhere in the middle. I have seen it from beginning to end twice. But I wouldn't buy it on DVD unless it was the only way I could see it.

COD I also probably wouldn't buy on DVD but I agree with the consensus here: it was better than the first.

The navigators did look fakey, though, as someone else said.

BTW, shouldn't there be SPOILERS in the subject line? We are spoiling this miniseries left and right here. :LOL:

I disliked the 1984 movie very much so I was a bit apprehensive when the mini-series (Dune) came out; but I loved it and bought the DVD. I watched it for the third time just before CoD was shown. I didn't like CoD quite as much but I still pre-ordered the DVD. When you see a show more than once you pick up on parts you missed previously. All-in-all it was a good series. I will now try to read the books.

There still might be people that haven't seen it yet.
There still might be people who never saw V the mini-series either... exactly how long after something is over before you don't have to use "spoilers" anymore?

There still might be people who never saw V the mini-series either... exactly how long after something is over before you don't have to use "spoilers" anymore?

Two years.

I disliked the 1984 movie very much so I was a bit apprehensive when the mini-series (Dune) came out; but I loved it and bought the DVD. I watched it for the third time just before CoD was shown. I didn't like CoD quite as much but I still pre-ordered the DVD. When you see a show more than once you pick up on parts you missed previously. All-in-all it was a good series. I will now try to read the books.

Looking back from today's perspective the 1984 DUNE is not that good from a technical standpoint but when it first came out it was a "ground breaker." I always did like the 1984 version and have an original four hour tape. I also have a tape and DVD for DUNE 2000. Wasn't impressed when it first ran on TV but came around after watching it off the tape and even more from the DVD. I'm at about the same point with CoD right now as I was when I first watched DUNE 2000 but will buy the DVD so I have in my collection.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back