View Single Post
Old July 28th 14, 02:11   #15
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post

Just a discussion point, I had been reading some reviews of B5 online recently, and they pointed out that the 'UN in space' was a very 90s thing where the United Nations was prominent following the break up of the Soviet Union. In the modern era and the so-called 'war on terror' the UN seems to have been sidelined somewhat, so is the UN-style of politics that is in B5 as relevant now as it was in the 1990s? Will this change the tone of the new B5 to reflect the time it is made in, just as the original B5 is a product of the 90s?
That's actualy a very good question. It's probably important to point out that the "UN In Space" aspect of B5 was a complete and total failure, as they themselves admitted on the show, so I'm not *sure* how 90s that was. Certainly not the image the UN has ever had of itself.

Actually, the bulk of the UN's job is coordinating aid, relief, medical stuff, education initiatives, and negotiating an end to wars is a fairly small part of their purview. Which is good, as they were never very good at it. Presumably those are roles the ISA would do, but we never saw much of it in the B5 Council/League. I never really thought of that until you pointed it out. Good one.

Nowadays unilateral action is not the norm - we had plenty of allies in Iran and Iraq who had no real reason to be there other than we asked them to please help - but coordinated international military stuff on more than an ad-hoc basis has been really hard to maintain. NATO, for instance, did not make a good showing for itself in Libya, most of the members don't really live up to their financial and treaty obligations, and the US has gone from footing 50% of the bill in 1960 to something like 75%-80% of the bill nowadays, mostly, I imagine, out of laziness in the absence of any credible foe.

Interesting thought.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote