• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The 12th Doctor (Or 14th, depending on how you count it)

I recently purchased a used couch which had the first 5 episodes of season 8 of Dr. Who wedged in the cushions. I immediately called the police for this copyright violation, but as it took a long time for them to get here, I went ahead and read 'em anyway.

I won't give you any specifics or any details at all, but I will say that

(A) I've liked all of them. Very solid, except episode 5, which is a bit filler-y, and suffers in comparison to #4, which is brilliant.
(B) The transition to the new doctor works, I think, better than the Tennant/Smith transition did
(C) It's been reputed that the new guy is dark and edgy. Nope. This doctor is not "Dark," or at least not any darker than the previous ones we've seen. He is motivated by something new that we haven't seen before. It is not darkness, though. That's too simple, too pat. This is Something that has always been there, presumably, but which has never been mentioned until now. I won't say more, but it's intriguing.
(D) Episode 4, "Listen," will fucking blow you away. Anything more I say will ruin it for you, so I'll say no more.
(E) The season arc isn't as in-your-face and rushed as normal. Not every ep touches on it. It only affects some people, and the doctor isn't one of them, so *we* in the audience know more than he does. (Though we don't really know much) Very intrigued to see where this all goes.

Oh: (F) The season opener may well be the only "Introducing the new doctor" episode that doesn't suck. It is, however, very long. 75 minutes or so, so whatever we get on BBCa will likely be chopped to ribbons.

Isn’t it great when previous owners leave you hidden surprises. The internet… I mean second hand couches can be great like that. :LOL:

Sounds very intriguing. I have to admit, I’m not a Dr. Who fan. I did watch it in the 80s as a kid, but it never really translated into my adult life. I’ve caught a few episodes of new Dr. Who here and there and it just struck me as a bit silly, and ‘done on the cheap’, not that I really have an issue with that. I am after all a B5 fan, and they very creatively cut costs everywhere!

Yes, used couches are a wonderful thing. It's why I use so many of them. Practically a loading dock around here.

Who is silly, and my opinion waxes and wanes quite a bit, and honestly the first seasons of the New Who haven't aged well, and Matt Smith mostly annoyed me. I think it's a show I like more in concept than execution, but there are generally a few eps each season that make me go, "Wow, that was unexpectedly good!"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back