• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Fate of Delenn and Valen

Springer

Regular
JMS has stated in the past that near the end of her life Delenn goes on a quest related to Valen, and that nobody sees or hears from her again. Are there any more details about this, and is it wishful thinking to assume that Lorien came back for Delenn and Valen as he did for Sheridan?

Any idea when he said that? The 'In Valen's Name' comic series (3 issues) went into Valen's story a fair amount (no, not really what anyone was hoping for), and what happened after he met the Minbari a thousand years ago. It's told simultaneously with a storyline where Sheridan and company find the abandoned Babylon 4, still largely intact, but in a decaying orbit in the middle of nowhere. Of course they have to board it and see what they can learn. The first issue was better than the last two, beautifully written. I think that was 1999, so perhaps JMS changed the history in favor of a new story he came up with, as he did many other times. And then everyone apparently gave up on B5 comics. Too bad, they were starting to get pretty good.

Raw Shark

"Well don't that just make ya sad?"
Claire Danes, U-turn

Last edited:
Any idea when he said that? The 'In Valen's Name' comic series (3 issues) went into Valen's story a fair amount (no, not really what anyone was hoping for), and what happened after he met the Minbari a thousand years ago. It's told simultaneously with a storyline where Sheridan and company find the abandoned Babylon 4, still largely intact, but in a decaying orbit in the middle of nowhere. Of course they have to board it and see what they can learn. The first issue was better than the last two, beautifully written. I think that was 1999, so perhaps JMS changed the history in favor of a new story he came up with, as he did many other times. And then everyone apparently gave up on B5 comics. Too bad, they were starting to get pretty good.

It was a JMS post from October 1999. Here's the link: http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-6158

I also opened up my copy of Across Time and Space: The Chronologies of Babylon 5 (it's been sitting around in its plastic wrapper for years) but there is no mention of it in there – instead it gives a date of death for Delenn as sometime around 2362.

I found In Valen's Name a bit disappointing, to be honest, it never really grabbed me except for the last two pages – and then they go and drop an almighty typo like that!!

Last edited:
I don't remember issues 2 and 3 all that well, they got too silly, compared to the first. I'll have to dig mine out of storage and see what you're talking about. My favorite part in issue 1 was when they were learning the history of the MInbari war fleet which was fighting the Shadows in the middle of nowhere. "We had lost our base, we had lost our leaders, and we had lost hope. And in a flash, the universe returned to us all three." It was one of those powerful B5 moments for me.

I never heard a peep out of anyone about the huge Psi Corps machine on Mars in the Sinclair/Garibaldi story (issue #8). No insights, thoughts, rumors, nothing. For such a central piece of technology presumably involved with the Telepath War, no one seems to have any interest. It was one of our earliest glimpses into Psi Corps' hidden inner workings, and their covert relationship with the Shadows. That conflict was not laid out plainly for us anywhere, but there are so many clues as to where things were going, and went.

Raw Shark

"We've lost a few. Just made damn sure no one heard about them."
Captain Sheridan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back