• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Really Hard Question

Galahad

Regular
One for my fellow UK based people... and I will seriously be impressed if you can help:

Channel 4 once had a mini showcase series of short dramas by up and coming directors that they showed late at night... I think on Thursdays at about midnight. Some of these were really good and one of them was centred around a court case in the future where a scientist and his assistant were being tried for murder by a group of clergy.

The idea was that in the future, Earth is in a near utopian state governed by the church. The scientist had invented a time machine but had destroyed it along with his research when his project partner had demonstrated that he wanted to use the machine to go back to the time of Christ and attempt to use advanced weaponry to rescue Christ from his ordeal on the cross before he died - to put to test the idea that Jesus would have to use divine power to stop the rescue, or it would prove that his death was nothing special. Knowing that the world was stable and that any such change would create havoc with the space-time continuum, the other scientists tried in vain to stop the rogue researcher... but he launched the machine. Reluctanttly his colleagues seemingly destroy the ship with him inside at the critical moment. The defendants are released by the council of bishops and then the twist ending is revealed, as we see the body of a man in torn clothing, covered in stains from fire smoke.... stir regain consciousness in a wilderness environment... and smile (the scientist survived and we are left imagine what happened next for ourselves).

Never been able to track down as much as a title... so if anyone knows I'd be in awe.

I've dabbled with the idea of a time-travel story involving Christ, because in all of histoy, there are probably two places/times I would most want to see and those would be during the final days of Jesus and when Moses delivered the Hebrews from Egypt. Moses would actually be a bit more exciting.

Looking up this subject, I see that there are two novels written along the same lines as I was thinking:

Behold the Man (1966), a novella by Michael Moorcock and later expanded into a novel (1969). It is an existentialist tale about a man who uses a time machine to travel back in time from the year 1970 to 28 A.D., hoping to meet the historical Jesus of Nazareth.

The Didymus Contingency (2006) by Jeremy Robinson tells the tale of an atheist who travels back in time in order to prove Jesus a fraud. The book also discusses whether or not the past can truly be changed.

Oh well.

I've got some Biblical Time Travel books... the good thing is that the guy who wrote them is actually a scientist in that field (for his day job)... and sticks to hard science. He also doesn't.

The question about this 1990's one off has been bugging me for years.

I remember reading a story along similar lines when I was a kid - it was called "Let's Go to Golgotha". The premise being that in the future, time travel was a reality, and offered time travel tours to the crucifixion.

I remember reading a story along similar lines when I was a kid - it was called "Let's Go to Golgotha". The premise being that in the future, time travel was a reality, and offered time travel tours to the crucifixion.

I remember reading that one.

I wrote a time travel short story once. Let me see if I can find it.....

:rolleyes:

Found it!

I've put it as an attachment because of the size. Spot the B5 reference.

Attachments

• The Ultimate April Fool.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 5
I have no idea about that show (being an American). However, I would expect that tracking down a specific episode title would become much more doable if you can come up with the title of the series. (For example, finding the episode title "To Serve Man" becomes much easier if you know that it was part of the series called "The Twilight Zone".)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back