• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ron Thornton Medical Expense Help

Jan

Regular
Ran across this link on FaceBook. Most of you know that Ron Thornton was a visual effects designer on B5. Without him, the show might well not have been possible.
I don't know any details but apparently he's in the hospital in critical condition. There's a GoFundMe page here:

https://www.gofundme.com/2pbngrnc

Ron Thornton is one of the fathers of CGI animation for television and an Emmy-winning visual effects artist and supervisor. Beyond that, however, he is one amazing human being who is a delight to work with or just to know. He loves life, lives it with energy and wry wit, and with an incredible appreciation of friends. And he is a mean gourmet cook.

Ron has been ill for some time, and is now in the hospital in critical condition. He and his wife, Lada, need help with medical bills and expenses that are piling up.

I'm setting up this fund for them, so that I and his many, many friends and colleagues can help them at this time of need. Lada and Ron will be deeply grateful for any assistance, and so will I. I love Ron and Lada. I think everyone who truly knows them must.

Please help, if you can.
Help spread the word!

New update has been posted:

Just a quick update: this is the latest of several recent hospital stays. Ron is feeling better after treatment and is back home for the moment. There may be a possibility yet that a living donor partial transplant could be effective, and I and others are urging Ron to look into this, and if it is a possibility and he is willing, then we may put out a call for volunteers to test and to be a donor. I've already heard privately from several who are willing to do so, and I checked into it myself, but I'm disqualified for being over 55. Grrrrr. Who made that rule?!

Again, many, many thanks to all those who have contributed and who have shared the news. Ron and Lada are quite moved by this outpouring of both generosity and of kindness and affection in the many contributions, messages and posts.

Sad news: Ron Thornton passed away yesterday.
I am grieved to tell you that Ron Thornton has passed away this evening. Ron has meant so much to so many of us over the years; he is indeed a VFX legend but he was also an incredible human being, a true friend, a great mentor to so many, and just so alive. He relished life and came at it with so much energy and creativity and openness, at work and at play. He will be so missed, by so many, but most especially by his beloved wife, Lada. In keeping with your own spirit, please send your thoughts and prayers for strength and comfort her way.

I thank everyone for their contributions to this fund. It is still open for the expenses and assistance that Lada needs at this time of loss.

He'll always have the gratitude of the B5 community. The fundraiser page is still open for donations.

Thanks for posting the updates, and the link.

59 is so young but liver cancer tends to progress quickly. It's very sad news.

Latest posts

Members online

Back