• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

2nd viewing of Rangers, I have ALL THE ANSWERS....

2aMageing

Regular
But it is 4:30 am here where I live an my insomnia only lasts so long, so I'll post the answers either tommorow or the next day, once I sleep and go back through the tape to note the KEY phrases that will be turned to unlock ALL THE SECRETS of the as yet undeveloped Rangers universe. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Or at least I'll provide y'all with some entertainment....../ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Re: 2nd viewing of Rangers, I have ALL THE ANSWERS

Ok,HERE WE GO.

I posted a theory a while back that David Martel was related to a certain MAJOR person from the B5 series. I now have good evidence to back my claim (and anyone who says it is not possible due to time line considerations, needs to apply as much doubt to their calculations as they would to my theory....)

David (also the known name of Sheridan's son) is talking to Sarah Cantrel saying that joining the rangers was
"my dream ever since my folks died"....would seem to counter my theory since GKar is in contact with Sheridan as stated later, but has anyone seen Star Wars? How did Luke end with Uncle Owen and Aunt Peru???

David also said that he got "shuttled around alot" and this will fit when I give me theory in detail later.....
(Also, at the end of David's conversation with Sarah, after he leaves, the camera pans to the background to see a sneaky Gkar listening with interest (perhaps keeping an eye on David for a close friend???)

Gkar enters the council meeting to decide David's fate, and when talking about David and how his friends are coming to his defense "very who can foster that kind of loyalty, one comes to mind, stubborn, difficult, annoying,....independant, and willful"

he is asked by a Minbari who this person is that he is comparing DAVID to.....
Gkar says "he became the president of this very allience"
followd by "with whom I just spoke with a few moments ago" about this and the other matter, why is Gkar reporting about some kid named DAVID to Sheridan, hmmmmmm??
Gkar supposedly told the council "4 true things" to convince the council to keep David in the Rangers, wouldn't telling them in confidence that David was the son of the Great Sheridan go along ways to convince them (and no Sheridan could not order it with out exposing their connection and abusing his position of power)....

For what it may add, Gkar then tells David that "what I said was of no consequence, at least <font color=yellow>not yet</font color=yellow> "Just don't prove me wrong." about a son of Sheridan ending up be a great ranger???? Very possibly.

After Gkar and David are through talking, the camera sits on the scen of the two of them for a number of seconds longer......long enough to show Gkar watching David out of the corner of his eye (dare I say with custodial approval, watch and judge for yourself)

All this happens in the first 1/4 of the movie, most of the revealing dialog, not to mention David's statement when taking command of the liandra about where he came from "No where in particular" and how each persons staements in that scene would seem to be setup for who they are later in the "series". Most of the first quarter of the movie is dialog and is spent developing most of the main characters, and very little else is Clearly Provided about David, but these and a few other hints, so how come most of these hints and gestures (mostly be Gkar, connected to Sheridan by his own admisson) seem to fit together in this way......

Facts: Sheridan had/has a son named DAVID
His son was/is in the rangers (according to B5)

Here is DAVID Martel
He is in the rangers (second coincidence??)
He is compared DIRECTLY to Sheridan by Gkar
Gkar is a close friend of Sheridan
Gkar intervenes to help this Ranger on trial, whom he has never met before
Gkar spoke to Sheridan about this "stranger", DAVID Martel, as well as about the new race recently discovered(How did this stranger Martel get equal time with this dangerous?, Hostile?, Aggresive?? new enemy in his conversation with Sheridan?????
Now ask this question.
If you were the President of the newly formed Interstellar Allience, a HUGE target (as well as all family) of enemies, a person considered to be "part myth", what could you do for your son to protect him from danger and the trouble and fame of being a Sheridan???

How about a foster family that could give him a new name, a fresh chance to choose his own life?

And who of your allies would you send to take care and look after him? A close friend considered by many to have good wisdom, perhaps?

When two lines meet, we can say "ah, an interesting coincidence", but when 4 or 5 lines meet, in a JMS writen Introduction to a Character, do we say the same thing"ah, what an interesting coincidence"?? I would not. JMS needed a thread to connect one series to the other, and knew he had laid the ground work for son of Sheridan (a major player in the future, most likely) as a ranger, than Lo and Behold a series based on the Rangers......
Some may not care, but for me such a possibility is a major shift in how the Rangers movie looks and feels, not to mention adding a future to a previously unseen character from the B5 series.

Ok, so I don't have ALL the answers /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif , but there are alot more clues to truths in that movie than have been discussed. For my second installment I will address the Hand and the discussion about their "possible" connection to "Third Space". And I can promise you more evidence straight from the movie's mouth, so tune in later this week, same B5 time, same B5 channel. Good night. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

You can rationalize that theory as much as you want, but I won't buy a word of it until you can come up with a decent explanation of how a 12 year old quarter Minbari boy can be David Martel, a 25ish year old full human? It just doesn't make any sense in any definition of the word. Plus I don't know the exact quote, but in Sleeping in Light David is mentioned as being missed because he was off training to be a ranger. This not only indicates that he wasn't given to a foster family, but that he also didn't begin his training until like 8-10 years after Legend of the Rangers takes place. Now my dating my be off a year or two here and there, but it still proves that the David Sheridan is David Martel theory is absolutely impossible. Despite how cool is definetly would be.

You can rationalize that theory as much as you want, but I won't buy a word of it until you can come up with a decent explanation of how a 12 year old quarter Minbari boy can be David Martel, a 25ish year old full human? It just doesn't make any sense in any definition of the word. Plus I don't know the exact quote, but in Sleeping in Light David is mentioned as being missed because he was off training to be a ranger. This not only indicates that he wasn't given to a foster family, but that he also didn't begin his training until like 8-10 years after Legend of the Rangers takes place. Now my dating my be off a year or two here and there, but it still proves that the David Sheridan is David Martel theory is absolutely impossible. Despite how cool is definetly would be.

Ah, a spirited debate, good show.

I have to ask, WHY did JMS choose to name his Main Character DAVID?? Is he becoming uncreative? Probably just a coincidence......about a JMS written piece, I don't think so. A thousand and one names to choose from and he names his primary after a previous (and as yet unseen) character. I can't get past that, and I am willing to bet there is a hole in the timeline someplace that is not being seen. I will consider the timing, but ya'll should consider the suspicious use of the name. Not just ignore it, since it does not fit your concept of progression; if there is good reason to consider this possibility, and I suggest there are multiple, than it should not be dismissed out of hand, out of dogma, or for any particular paradigm.

Your theory is an interesting one, but as Galen's Staff points out there is some very definite evidence against it. I had thought about two characters being named David right from the start but I suspect JMS had something a little different in mind. But your theory is very well thought, I look forward to reading your ideas about The Hand.

Fascinating theory. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out you are on to something. The presence of G'Kar in this movie confused me the first time I watched it. He seemed to serve no purpose other than to give the show an established star. But viewed within the context of your theory his presence suddenly becomes relevant. Hmmm.....

The movie takes place in around 2264/2265. Young David Sheridan would be around 3 years old at the time.

G'Kar died (WWE, the Centauri trilogy) in 2278 when David was about 17 or 18.

There *has* to be a...

EUREKA!

Damn, I'm good.

*grins a bit*

Yea dude, the timing/age thing just doesnt work out. David Sheridan is playing with coloring books when this movie takes place. He's like 3 or 4 at the time.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Recoil:
<font color=yellow>Yea dude, the timing/age thing just doesnt work out. David Sheridan is playing with coloring books when this movie takes place. He's like 3 or 4 at the time.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

We should all know by now that time is something that can be easily messed with in sci-fi shows. Or have we forgotten the capabilities of the great machine???

It could be that G'Kar just recognizes something within David Martel that could be used for a higher purpose. That's what I understood; that G'Kar knew he, or someone else, could use David Martel later on in his career.

That's when Martel would "prove him right."

JMS is, in fact, nortorious for "re-using" character names. You could as well prove by the same reasoning that Sarah Cantrell is related to Sarah Chambers from Crusade. JMS just seems to like using certain names - perhaps friends or relatives he likes to give a nod in his work. "David" is certainly one of them - witness Jeffery DAVID Sinclair, David Sheridan The Elder and John's son David.

But the timing problem is insuperable. If David Martel is 25 years old in 2264 (the year of the pilot film) he was born in 2239 - probably around the time John Sheridan graduates from the Academy. He isn't famous, there's no reason to hide a child's identity or put him with foster parents. His mother could have raised him, Sheridan could have married her, there are all sorts of alternatives. The simple answer, of course, is there was no child.

Sheridan was married to Lochley right out of the academy, then they broke up without having children. He was involved with Anna Sheridan before the war, then married her immediately afterwards. They had no children. Sheridan doesn't strike me as the promiscuous type, so I doubt he had any casual flings that could have produced a child that he had no knowledge of. And he must have known about the child according to your hypothesis, because the kid bears his father's name.

Sheridan's actual child, his son David Sheridan, is born in late 2262 or early 2263. The pilot film takes place in 2264. You do the math.

Time travel is not an option. It is not "easy" in the B5 universe. JMS deliberately made it difficult to ensure that there was one and only one instance of time-travel in the entire series - the hijacking of Babylon 4. He didn't want it to turn into the kind of story crutch that it has become in the Trek universe.

I don't think there is a shred of evidence that David Martel has any connection with John Sheridan, other than having been brought to his attention (in the pilot) to make a meeting between the two more plausible in the eventual series. JMS chose G'Kar as the guest character for the pilot because the character is more "available" during the period the series is set than any of the other regulars, and because he is a sort of minister-without-portfolio who can meddle in anything that interests him. Everybody else has a regular job and defined responsibilities at this point in the story. Besides, JMS likes writing for G'Kar, and likes working with Andreas. Since he envisioned the pilot guest star as a semi-regular in a Rangers series, appearing in as many as half the shows each season, he needed a character that could realistically be seen hanging out with Liandra's crew that often. This wouldn't work with Sheridan, Delenn, Franklin or even Garibaldi.

I don't think there's any mystery here. Or any secret, coded meanings. I don't understand all the interest in David Sheridan anyway. The IA is not a hereditary monarchy, and neither is the government of Minbar. Most of the population of Earth has, even in our time, gotten over the notion that "bloodlines" mean anything in Human life and society. Why this insistance that David Martel must be secretly "Son of Sheridan"? Can't he be an interesting character on his own. Did everyone assume that Jean-Luc Picard must be some bastard descendant of James T. Kirk? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> Did everyone assume that Jean-Luc Picard must be some bastard descendant of James T. Kirk? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>
Well that would not be too far fetched ... if Picard wasn't fully Human that is. ... I mean, did anyone ever wonder just how many bastard half-human / half-alien children Kirk had? I'm surprised he had time to have one with a Human all the times he was out chasing some alien skirt and tail (probably literally at times).

Kirk probably single-handedly caused a population boom in the Federation between the time of TOS and TNG. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Actually, it is quite possible for Martel to be Sheridan's son. Personally, I don't believe it, but everyone says the age thing is way off. BUT it doesn't have to be.

That horny Sheridan had 3 wives. So Martel could be the son of Sheridan and Anna or Sheridan and Lochely.
However, like I said, it seems unlikely.

And being a completely unimaginative fellow, he'd name all his sons David? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Maybe he didn't even know about him. His marriage with Lochley only lasted a week, and so after the honeymoon when he ran, she might not have told him about their son. Through some freak coincidence she named him David.

Like I said though, I don't believe it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kribu:
<font color=yellow>And being a completely unimaginative fellow, he'd name all his sons David? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote> Quite a good question. I suspect he would not.

Looking at the pictures of Martell's face the people it reminds me of are Lochley and Ivanova. If not a son he could be a nephew of one of them.

Alternatively, all 3 have the same acting teacher.

Joe D Said:
Why this insistance that David Martel must be secretly "Son of Sheridan"? Can't he be an interesting character on his own. Did everyone assume that Jean-Luc Picard must be some bastard descendant of James T. Kirk?

Nah, Kirk's bastard son was named David.... ummm...
David Marcus.

Ack! There's a familiar pair of names!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back