• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: In The Beginning

In The Beginning

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
I enjoyed seeing this prequel to the series, though I do have several reservations. I definitely would not use it to introduce someone new to B5; not only are there spoilers, but also a bewildering number of characters showing up, some only very briefly. I can imagine someone wondering why that young girl appears, not realizing that Ivanova will play an important role on the station.

I do like the framework of aged Londo telling the story to children. Having him ask that crucial question, "What do you want?" brings back memories of his own decisions.

Why did Robin Atkin Downes have to play a Minbari?! I kept seeing Byron in him and wondering why he had to send for a telepath...

Interesting to know that Londo actually gave some good advice to the Earth Alliance on approaching the Minbari. However, he made up for that by spoiling the chance for peace later on.

What's fun to see is the younger version of each character! Londo with more and darker hair, Sheridan with a crew cut, Ivanova with short hair.

I do like seeing Dukhat again - a great character! Tragic that his death is the trigger for Minbari wrath and revenge. His statement about looking into the face of a Vorlon, upon which all doubt is gone, makes clear why Delenn later wanted to see Kosh to be sure of her path.

Interesting that Sheridan describes himself as chosen for the mission because he's expendable. He's not, of course.

The President's speech was very moving. Her appeal to "hold the line" makes clear why the battle was named so. I did notice one phrase she used, though - "Eve of Destruction" is a 60s protest song - intentional or chance?

Having G'Kar as a translator is risky, isn't it?! A warrior would not seem to be the best aid to achieving peace.

Once again Delenn blows a candle out, symbolically for the lives lost.

Sinclair is bound in that Christ-like position we've seen several times in the series.

The closing is very interesting - immediately preceding the end of Londo's life, after his last encounter with Sheridan and Delenn. Great camera move - leaving through the one open window.

I have read the first two of the Centauri book trilogy; alas, the third is so expensive that I haven't bought it. Wish it were available at a reasonable price - I'd like to read the conclusion.

Actually, Robin Atkin Downes played the Minbari *before* he played Byron. ItB was shown as a lead-up to Season Five on TNT.

Jan

I do like the framework of aged Londo telling the story to children. Having him ask that crucial question, "What do you want?" brings back memories of his own decisions.

If you remember back to "The Gathering", Londo began that with a bit of narration too. It kind of establishing the whole show as being him telling the story to someone. "In The Beginning" now seems to be showing us to whom he was telling it.

I just watched this the other night for the first time and I loved it. I was moved to tears over the defense of earth. It was also great to see so many epic moments that had been slowly revealed in the series but not shown. It was great to see Sinclair again too.

I didn't think the system allowed it, but it looks like it happened. Or at least something happened.

On topic, teacake: I too find the defense of Earth in In The Beginning to be a particularly moving moment in Babylon 5. The President's speech, the music, Londo's narration, they're all excellent.

I didn't think the system allowed it, but it looks like it happened. Or at least something happened.

On topic, teacake: I too find the defense of Earth in In The Beginning to be a particularly moving moment in Babylon 5. The President's speech, the music, Londo's narration, they're all excellent.

Me three! :LOL:

Started another re-watch of the series (this time via Netflix Instant).
Decided to do it chronologically within the story, so started with In the Beginning. Just that whole beginning dialogue with Londo and the kids, like "are you the emperor" "sometimes I ask myself the same question" and "what do you want?... he did better with that question than I did."

He talks about stuff that happened! I love that crap.

Last night I watched Parliament of Dreams, and that ridiculous writerly dialogue between Sakai and Sinclair still makes me laugh. Good times.

I just watched this one, before starting on Season 5. I just read through the 8 pages of discussion here, and I fear I have nothing to add. A whole bunch of people have already said all the stuff I was thinking: 1. This is my favorite of all the b5 movies. I love seeing the backstory come to life like this, and everything looks really nice. 2. It's great to see what everyone we know from the series was doing during the war, but the bits that put them all together are indeed a bit contrived. 3. The Londo bits are great, as always. 4. The Presiden't speech and everything to do with the Battle of the Line is very moving.

One thing I didn't yet see mentioned in response to Estelyn's post: Robin Atkin Downes didn't come out of nowhere for this movie, he already played that same part in the flashback scenes in Atonement.

Oh, and as for when I watch it, usually right about at this point, after season 4, before season 5.

Latest posts

Members online

Back