View Single Post
Old August 14th 10, 13:02   #411
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote:
Ah, you were the ideal target audience for the first few episodes, then... I'll be excited to tell them about you over on the Whedon site I go to. We thought you were a myth.
You're giving me this impression that the internet of full of pretentious Whedon fan-boys who think the shows they like are some fancy intellectual artsy thing.

Let's remember we're talking about fucking vampires and shit.

The genius of Buffy is that is hooks you with action and eye-candy, and then brings in the more mature and clever story-telling and character stuff. But it's still about a hot chick and her buddies killing monsters. Yes I liked the most involved stuff in Buffy and Dollhouse (it's what justified the long run of the first), but without the hook, the basic premise, there is no show.

I dunno man, I guess I'm glad I'm done with my days of hardcore fanboy-ism, because from what you're telling me, the Whedon faithful aren't very faithful. If JMS had a new show I'd watch it and give it every chance, 'cause he earned it. Now I don't hold Whedon in quite that high regard, but he's still earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt. Also, Eliza Dushku on motorcycles and little dresses!
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote