View Single Post
Old June 5th 10, 11:16   #7
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Angel got some character by the time he got his own show, but not too much. It's mostly the supporting characters - two in particluar - that carried the spin-off for me. I can't really say too much here without spoiling anything, but .. while Angel remains pretty bland an uninteresting most of the time, he has his moments - moments of pure awesomeness.

It's been a long time since I watched Buffy, so I don't actually remember too many of the individual plot points you're talking about (like the little league thingy - no memory of that. I do remember the hyena episode, though, which I loved to bits) .. but I do remember feeling much the same about the show in the beginning. It was great brainless fun, but pretty stupid. At the beginning, I enjoyed the stand-alone episodes, but got bored everytime they tried to move the arc along .. but my feeling about this changed radically at some point in season 2.

Seasons 2, 3 and 5 are the strongest ones IMHO, but all seasons have their individual fantastic episodes.

Regarding character development .. KoshFan is going to come down hard on me for this, but I did not actually think it was that good, if you look at the big picture. There were some spectacular individual character-driven episodes, but it's really not like B5 (or even Harry Potter ) where everything feels completely coherent in retrospective. Frankly, some of the major character developments are pretty gimmicky.

Also, don't expect any payoffs across season boundaries. I'm sure there are some exceptions I'm forgetting about, but if in general .. if something you're expecting or hoping for doesn't happen by the end of the season, it's not going to happen. That being said, some of the individual seasons are planned out quite well.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote