View Single Post
Old June 5th 10, 06:24   #4
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

So... a girl is ignored, even by her teacher, and that makes her literally invisible. Um.... ok....

A little league coach beats the shit out of one of his players for missing a catch. Um.... ok...

Look, I know it's a show about monsters and shit, but come on, that doesn't mean we have to make EVERYTHING retarded.

Other than the big reveal ending, I like the episode where everyone's nightmares became reality. Xander especially- first they go with the cliche naked in class thing (which, btw, means the dreamer is NAKED, not wearing underwear), but then they redeem that with the clown thing. Interesting that he was the only one who was able to actually defeat his nightmare.

By focusing so much on Willow being ignored and shy, she will get her star turn at some point and become some kind of bad-ass warrior or monster or super-hero or something like that. By turning down Xander asking her to the dance after being rejected by Buffy, we see that she may be a nerd but she ain't a sucker.

The big showdown between Buffy and the Master was a letdown, though I suppose I expected too much. The whole execution felt awkward, with the kid and whatnot. And they set it up with that prophecy about how she's gonna die, and get around it by having Xander give her CPR. Lame.

Ok sure she says she feels better and maybe she's stronger, so we'll see in season 2 if she's actually a vampire, which means she'll be un-vampired at some point. But I can't see how this can be resolved without making the whole prophecy business pretty pointless. I hope to be proven wrong. And I also hope at some point we get some background mythology on where these prophecies come from.

The internets tell me seasons 2 and 3 are like the greatest thing on TV ever ever, so I look forward to that.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote