• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

ROTK: Extended Edition Release Date

Bab5nutz

Regular
I don't know if any of you have heard about this yet; but a date has been announced for the release of "The Return of the King: Special Extended Edition" Rumours have variously had it as being December 7 or 14. It's December 14.

ROTK_EE Details

And here are the details here. Okay ....

SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!! DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW!!

Although to be fair, no details of what is going to be in the extended editon of the film itself have been given away - just what's on the "Extras" discs.

DISCS 1-2: The Feature
FEATURE (approx. 250 minutes) - A new version of the final installment in the epic trilogy! The Academy-Award® winning film now has 50 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film for this highly-anticipated video release: Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition
Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
Stereo Surround Sound
English subtitles and closed captions
Spanish subtitles

Four audio commentaries by the director and writers, the design team, the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Howard Shore…and many more.

Cast commentary also features dialogue between split-personality characters Gollum and Smeagol (Andy Serkis)!

DISCS 3-4: The Appendices
Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King::

THE APPENDICES PART V: "The War of the Ring"
Disc intro by director Peter Jackson
"J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legacy of Middle-earth" documentary

From Book to Script: "From Book to Script: Forging the Final Chapter" documentary
Abandoned Concept: Aragorn Battles Sauron

Designing and Building Middle-earth "Designing Middle-earth" documentary
"Big-atures" documentary
"Weta Workshop" documentary
"Costume Design" documentary

Design Galleries - 2,123 images The Peoples of Middle-earth (galleries with docent audio)
The Realms of Middle-earth (galleries with docent audio)
Miniatures (galleries with docent audio)

"Home of the Horse Lords" documentary

"Middle-earth Atlas: Tracing the Journeys of the Fellowship" interactive map
"New Zealand as Middle-earth" interactive map w/on-location footage

THE APPENDICES PART VI: "The Passing of an Age"
Disc intro by Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan

Filming The Return of the King "Cameras in Middle-earth" documentary
Production Photos (gallery) - 69 images

Visual Effects "Weta Digital" documentary
"The Mumakil Battle" demonstration / multi-angle interactive feature

Post Production: Journey's End "Editorial: Completing the Trilogy" documentary
"Music for Middle-earth" documentary
"The Soundscapes of Middle-earth" documentary
"The End of All Things" documentary

"The Passing of an Age" documentary

Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for "Into the West" "Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for 'Into the West'" documentary
"DFK6498" short film
"Strike Zone" short film

DVD-ROM CONTENT: Includes access to exclusive online features

And here is a link to four official ROTK_EE desktops.

ROTK_EE desktops

So, finally a definite date from the official website.

DISCS 1-2: The Feature
FEATURE (approx. 250 minutes) - A new version of the final installment in the epic trilogy! The Academy-Award® winning film now has 50 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film for this highly-anticipated video release: Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition
Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
Stereo Surround Sound
English subtitles and closed captions
Spanish subtitles

That's cool, hope they include "The Scourging of the Shire"

Many thanks Bab5nutz. I just bought a 50" Panasonic HDTV and I'll have three nights of great entertainment, starting with FOTR, then T2T, and finally TROTK. :D

The "Scourging of the Shire" was never even filmed. However, PJ did make an allusion to it in FOTR, when Frodo looks in Galadriel's mirror.

It is Sauruman's death I look forward to most.

The Scouring of the Shire bits are great for a book and develop the theme well but was never practical for a movie. We may understand how the Hobbits fending for themselves is important but a movie audience already dreaming of bathrooms wouldn't care. Since there was no chance of those scenes being in the film the expense of filming something that involved just for a DVD was not going to happen.

looks great. I'll add a Minas Tirath keepsake box to my Gollum statue and Argonath bookends!

The Smeagol/ Gollum commentary also sounds like a laugh.

This Extended Version of the already brilliant RoTK may become my favourite film ever!! :D I almost get the shivers just thinking about watching this version soon on dvd ... :D :D ;)

I was excited after viewing the Theatrical cut for the first time. I came out with two thoughts: 1. It may be 4am, but I could march right back into that theatre and watch it again, and 2. If that version was that awesome, just think about the extended DVD!

Okay, honest show of hands: how many people, after reading Elenopa's last post, immediately thought "My preciousssssss...."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back