• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

Re: Actual B5:TLT News

That's actually quite a bit considering that Season 5 was shot in only 6 days per episode.

Jan
Wasn't it 6 days per episode for season 1-4, and 5 days for season 5? So if you take 40 minutes per episode, that's roughly 6.7 minutes per day, and 8 minutes per day of film shot, respectively. If you take 90 minutes for TLT, that translates to roughly 6 minutes per day, which is pretty close to the more leisurely season 1-4 pace.

Also, I was digging around a bit on that Hollywood North website, and they have some handy sources of what is shooting in Vancouver listed on their forum here.

From the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees website:

From the British Colombia Film Commission:

From the Director's Guild of Canada:

Teamster Union 155 website (seems to cover everything from catering, to transportation, to animal handling):

Pretty much the most details on crew I've seen so far. For those doubting that Galen really would be back for the first one, and that Woodward would be playing him, this seems to confirm we can look forward to more Techno-Mage goodness from him again.

And there are some other interesting positions being mentioned here, like the DoP (Director of Photography), a Karl Herrmann. IMDB turns up a decent amount of work he's done, although nothing I've seen. I've heard of the most recent series he's worked on though; Kyle XY. Which is also something Jill Scott, the production designer of TLT, seems to have worked on. So I'm guessing that if you want to take a look at what some of the crew responsible for TLT's look is capable of, Kyle might be a decent place to look. The editor is the same one that did Legend of the Rangers, and also seems to have worked on Jeremiah.

And it seems they've created a new production company; "Lost Tales Films Inc.".

Yea, I guess that's true.

Any guesses yet on a release date for this? They'll shoot it quickly, but I imagine the CGI will take some time. And the other editing that has to be done.

]Wasn't it 6 days per episode for season 1-4, and 5 days for season 5?
Nope. As per this post of JMS's they went from 7 to 6 with the move to TNT.

Thanks for the other info, too. That's great information. One name looks familiar. Samm Barnes worked with JMS on 'Jeremiah' and also wrote some good episodes.

I haven't heard of any release date other than that it'll be in the second quarter of 2007.

Jan

Wasn't it 6 days per episode for season 1-4, and 5 days for season 5?

I'm 99% sure it was 7 days per episode for seasons 1 through 4 and 6 days when they moved to TNT for season 5. That's pretty typical for broadcast vs. cable TV. JMS shot "SiL" in 6 days, if memory serves, to see if it could be done, because he knew that a 6 day schedule might be in the cards if they got a season 5 pick-up from a cable channel.

B5 was alway remarkable in that it did as much as it did in 6 or 7 short days. Whereas other series routinely ran into double and triple overtime situations, breaking their budgets and exhausting their casts and crews, B5 achieved remarkable efficiencies and rarely ran into serious overtime. It is still common for actors on a primetime series to be shooting at midnight, mostly because scripts are being rewritten or there are last minute location problems. On B5 shooting generally wrapped by 8 and people were often home by 8:30.

And hyp the target date for the first disc has always been "2nd quarter 2007". Since this isn't a broadcast project, the final release date will probably be driven by production schedules and marketing plans at Warner Home Video. Post production will likely take several months since they have to create so much stuff from scratch (models, background plates, etc.) in addition to working on the specific shots for the episodes.

Finally they'll no doubt shop the finished project around to the networks, and a pick up by one of them or at least a deal to air the movie once could also affect when we see The Lost Tales in any form. Since at this point they don't have to meet a pre-set air date or theatrical release date, they probably aren't even thinking about exact dates yet

Regards,

Joe

Seasons 1-4 shot 7 days per episode ... I would guess from the tone of the story that they are shooting both eps in that 15 days rather than 15 days each, so basically back to the kind of schedule originally used on the show.

And JMS may be an imaginative kind of guy, but his company naming skills could use a little inventiveness ... Lost Tales Films/Productions Inc!

Bring back Babylonian Productions, I say.

:D

I guess I just assumed that it would take longer to set up, film and all, when they haven't been doing the same things on the same sets the week before.

Well, all I can say is: it's very good news. And I'll mellow out about when I can pre-order two copies. :)

Thanks for all of the information, folks. :cool:

Guess I was misremembering the production schedule of B5. Thanks for correcting me. :)

edit: Just for completeness sake, I also found this on some industry newsletter website called Production Weekly:

No new information in this one really.

I really would like to know who the CGI company they've hired is though. Haven't been able to find anything about that yet.

I wouldn't count on that as accurate. What we know from JMS is that the Garibaldi segment was pushed back to the next disk assuming that there is one. And Peter mentioned that he'd been approached by JMS but no contracts had been signed as yet.

Remember, there'll only be more of these if sales are good enough.

Jan

Just when the heck is the "second quarter" anyway? :LOL: :eek:

Like April, May, June? Hmm. Well I guess bugging Amazon.com is a bit premature at the moment. :)

The IMDB is an early version of the Wiki idea - it is mostly fan-generated and to the extent it is adjusted and corrected, that is thanks to fans, too. Someone simply posted the earlier casting rumors. That's the problem with the echo-chamber apsect of the internet. The smae original rumor gets reported in three or four different places and the later ones are taken as confirmations of the earlier ones.

Just when the heck is the "second quarter" anyway?

Exactly. The first quarter of a calendar year (the first three months) is January, Februrary, March, the second is April, May and June and so forth. Academics must be even more sheltered than I thought for you to be unfamiliar with the concept. :)

Regards,

Joe

The first quarter of a calendar year (the first three months) is January, Februrary, March, the second is April, May and June and so forth. Academics must be even more sheltered than I thought for you to be unfamiliar with the concept.

Maybe hyp is an accountant, so 'Second Quarter' varies depending on which client he is talking to ... :D

Exactly. The first quarter of a calendar year (the first three months) is January, Februrary, March, the second is April, May and June and so forth. Academics must be even more sheltered than I thought for you to be unfamiliar with the concept. :)

Poor Joe, dear. I fear you need glasses. Either that, or you didn't actually read that I knew the answer to my "question".

Maybe hyp is an accountant, so 'Second Quarter' varies depending on which client he is talking to ... :D

I'm not an accountant at all, but I was thinking that. Aren't the "financial quarters" different?

I'm not an accountant at all, but I was thinking that. Aren't the "financial quarters" different?

Yes, they are. Our Q1 happens be April-June, to coincide with Tax filings.

Actually hyp, you need glasses, or a sense of humor, since you missed the smiley and the joke.

A fiscal year, the twelve month accounting period organizations follow, may diverge from the calendar year and thus have their quarters fall in different months. A fiscal year that starts in, say, October, Q1 would be October, November, December. But JMS, being smarter than most of his fans and much less prone to overthinking simple statements, would not have said "second quarter 2007" is a public post on the moderated newsgroup if he were referring to the obscure fiscal calendar of an unspecified corporation. He either would have said "Warner Bros. second quarter, which starts in July" or do what he did - refer to the calendar quarter that everybody understands because he couldn't narrow it down any further. (And because he preferred it to saying "in April, May or June" - or "sometime between April and June") Because there is no reason to even bring up Warner Bros. fiscal year if you're just going to have to translate that into something everybody can understand anyway.

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back