• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

the ORIGINAL Gathering - I've Found Her!

FlipperPA

Regular
the ORIGINAL Gathering - I\'ve Found Her!

The better half (let me rephrase - the MUCH better half) had me cleaning tonight. That normally doesn't make me resort to caps instead of well spoken English, even if I am on the wrong side of the pond... color? colour?

Either way, in doing my bit tonight, I uncovered a true gem... get this... I'm still shaking... my ORIGINAL TAPE, of Bab 5: The Gathering, THE FIRST TIME IT EVEN AIRED! With commercials!

The quality on the tape is pretty hideous. However, I bet its as good as is out there. Commercials are on it - and I thought I'd exclude them, however, it hit me upon viewing... none of the commercials have CGI in them! Amazing!

We're only up to "we will have representatives of all four major alien races on board, let's not mess it up now", but this is a true fossil. Granted, the remake is much better... but this is history.

I'm dropping it to the TiVo so I have it forever in DVD quality MPEG format, although, you'd never know it. The quality is THAT BAD.

However, the commercials and all remind me of the first time I was magically immersed into this universe... as bad as the music was, as bad as the pacing was... there was just *something*. I like to call it a vision, a writer, a last, best hope that there might be something even better than Star Trek: TNG.

Just my thoughts. And again, I reiterate... I FOUND THE TAPE!

I will never, by the way, subject you good folks to me singing Barbara Streisand's "Memories".

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah... whatever.

-Tim

Re: the ORIGINAL Gathering - I\'ve Found Her!

Sorry to reply to my own post - but I'm really not...

There are political ads on this tape as well. Hilarious. I may make an outtake DVD with nothing but the commercials on this tape to distribute. (note to JoeD: is that illegal? I know they're copyrighted, but when the ultimate goal is outright local distribution (see: B5 pilot ads), wouldn't they give a full release?) I play by the rules, and really must know, because these commercials in between are making us laugh REALLY hard. Especially the political ads, since they're all for people who lost in the Philadelphia area ten years ago!)

That aside, I would HIGHLY recommend viewing the B5 pilot, as originally seen. While highly inferior (the Copeland soundtrack is hilarious) to anything B5 did afterwards, it as a certain quality like "The Postman" by Costner... absolutely hilarious, unintentionally. Yet you can tell it has a soul somewhere... B5 in JMS, Costner in the fact that he ripped off a mediocre book.

Done. For tonight. Regards, as ever. I will now submit to your weapons search, after the Ambassador has docked. If that is to your liking.

-Tim

Yo,

Could you hook me up with an FTP or something to download the MPEG? I'd be curious to see what the original version is like, I have never seen it.

Yo,

Could you hook me up with an FTP or something to download the MPEG? I'd be curious to see what the original version is like, I have never seen it.

i have it on dvd. when wb released the dvd of the gathering here in germany they put the old version on it because they have no synchro from the new edition. only from the old one. ( they released the new versuion firsdt on dvd but with no germayn language. quess the used the uk dvd for it and then they released a new dvd with a german track and its the old TG version)

Holy shit, this thread is funny.

If there is any way I can see this, please let me know.

Oh wow, I would watch that just for the commercials! :D

I remember finding a copy of Star Trek 2 that I had taped back in 1989 right after my dad got our first VCR -- talk about a trip down memory lane... the Little Caesar's pizza commercials were priceless! "Pizza Pizza!"

If you make copies of that sucker, I wouldn't mind having one :)

I'm working on it. I've gotten it to my TiVo but tyStudio is having problems transferring to MPEG. The first 1/3 is complete. I'll keep people in the loop on the rest.

Regards,

-Tim

Back