View Single Post
Old July 18th 17, 22:00   #38
Looney
Ambassador

Re: Rewatching Babylon 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post

This episode focuses on Garibaldi. I now a lot of people love Garibaldi as a character; to me, he’s okay, but he’s expected. There’s not really anything about him that feels particularly new to me. But he is an example of how common human problems will not go away just because we become a space-faring species. Garibaldi is an alcoholic. It’s a sensitive subject for me, given my family history.
Yeah I am not a huge Garibaldi fan, but Doyle did make him serve so many purposes very well. He plays the 'Everyman' - rich man, poor man, troubled man, smart man, foolish man, funny man, manipulated man, hungry man, violent man, peaceful man, wise man, hero and villain. I don't think Doyle's acting talent is quite on par with some of the other players, but he does a great job at doing so many jobs. He doesn't always do them perfectly, but he pulls it off in some manner.

Quote:
“You are going to resist, I hope,” Ivanova says to Kemmer when Sinclair orders her off the command deck. It’s moments like these that makes me love Ivanova. “I’m a lieutenant commander in Earthforce, I do not take demands.”
Yes this is one of those moments that really works for Ivanova. I have to admit there are moments where it is forced and doesn't work as well, but here it is well placed.

Quote:
The scene with Londo is nicely revealing about his character too. “I have been in your place. I can feel how you’re pinned,” he tells Garibaldi. Knowing what’s coming, this of course is foreshadowing what Londo will do and how it will impact him. The suspicion and antagonism between Londo and G’Kar isn’t as spotlighted in this episode, but it is there. “They won’t give you death, they’ll just take everything you value and leave you with nothing,” G’Kar tells Garibaldi, also foreshadowing some of his coming experience in the show. I don’t remember having paid as much attention to Londo’s and G’Kar’s parts in this episode before.
I often feel that JMS wrote Londo and G'Kar and then wrote the series around them.

Quote:
What kind of security does Babylon 5 have? Garibaldi leaves n’grath’s quarters, a guard comes around the corner, Garibaldi goes in the other direction, and the guard takes out his ppg and fires at Garibaldi. What law enforcement is that? Oh, look, there’s a person that because of the plot we know is Garibaldi, shoot him?? I mean, there’s little way to identify that it’s Garibaldi; he’s got a breather mask on, as does the guard, so not only is Garibaldi’s face obscured, so too is the guard’s vision. But then, we have a culture here in America now that law enforcement too quickly turn to shooting someone rather than trying to deescalate the situation, so I guess it shouldn’t be too surprising. But if that was where it came from in the story, maybe that’d be okay, but it’s not; the guard shoots at him because the plot says Garibaldi needs to be shot at. Not the smoothest writing, for sure.
In the past I felt this way and then I realized, throwing the identification obstruction aside, Cutter isn't acting alone. [SEE QUOTE BELOW.]

Quote:
It’s nice seeing the conspiracy plot arc is still brewing beneath the surface of the story, even if the acting and specifics are clunky. Some anti-alien “pro-Earth” group is trying to undermine President Santiago, who has a more alien-accepting policy position. As ungraceful as much of this episode’s characterization, dialog, and acting is, the anti-alien conspiracy plot is more involved and interesting than the previous one back in “The War Prayer.”
See the conspiracy plot is brewing and there is a "group" of conspirators, so that may have been why Garibaldi was shot at. Of course I am reading between the lines, but B5 is even more interesting if you can read between the lines and come up with a logical explanation that makes sense. Maybe JMS didn't intend for us to think the person who fired the PPG at Garbaldi was in on the conspiracy or maybe he did.

Quote:
“Make sure nothing happens to [the President]; we need all the friends we can get,” Garibaldi says. Once again, this episode gives us foreshowing of the coming plot.
Yep. Had I seen all of Season One when it originally aired I would have known at that moment Santiago was going to get it.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote