View Single Post
Old July 15th 17, 05:27   #29
vacantlook

Re: Rewatching Babylon 5.

Deathwalker

This is an episode I generally like going through again when I do rewatches. Mostly because I think the primary thing I think of when I think of this episode is the performance of the character Na'Toth. It makes me sad the actor couldn't do the role beyond this season.

Kosh does something other than get poisoned or sit? stand? float? in his quarters. He’s still super cryptic though. And he’s set his sights on Talia. Since Talia has to be written out of the show, what happens to her in this episode ends up being meaningless. I’ve seen it said that it was supposed to have something to do with Kosh rebuilding her personality after the Control personality was to be revealed and Talia’s mind subsumed by Control, but I don’t know. Whatever the plans for the data Kosh gains, it’s too odd with only what’s here to be satisfying.

Deathwalker, a Dilgar, with whom Earth once went to war. I like the visual effects make up design for the Dilgar enough that I wish we could have seen more of them. The Dilgar were apparently really nasty people, a Nazi experiments in space sort of story. I’m glad those experiments weren’t actually depicted on the show because such depictions, heck even just reading about them in historical writing, makes me utterly sick.

“Understanding is a three-edged sword.” Yay, Koshisms are one of the truly fun things this show gives us from the Vorlons.

So, the VCR, Abbot, or whatever he should be called, was apparently originally written to be played by Gilbert Gottfried. With all respect to him, I’m not a fan of his style, so I’m glad it wasn’t him. It would have been nice if the character didn’t flatten out as much as it does with the actor they did get though. Although, “Crab Nebula!” is out of the realm of obsurdist humor that it’s not all bad.

So if I understand things correctly, the Dilgar were decimated when their sun exploded. I think the idea left not fully expressed was that the Vorlons destroyed them by blowing up their sun because of having learned that the Shadows had made inroads into manipulating the Dilgar much in the way that they would manipulate the Centauri.

We get to see the League of Non-Aligned Worlds have some weight on events that occur at Babylon 5. We get to see the Abbai again, which is nice. And we get to see some odd League ships. The Drazi make their first real appearance, having only been miscellaneously in the background before now. We also get Vree ships, though lesser models than what show up later in the show in the various, shall we say, multinational fleets that fight. Too bad the Vree themselves are only used as a joke in one episode; I would rather have had the owners of such frequently seen ships belong to a species we got to see a lot more on the station. And the third of the three ships that come to B5 from the League in this episode is the Iksha, whom we never see again. Their ships were interesting; it would have been nice to see them actually in combat.

So, some Minbari are guilty of having supported Deathwalker. How interesting that after last episode wherein we learned that, much to Delenn’s approval, Franklin destroyed his research to keep it from being used to make weapons; here, we learn that the Minbari welcomed Deathwalker and her research so they could have weapons. Kind of makes Delenn look like a hypocrite, though I imagine she wasn’t not impacted by cultural expectation to help save face for the faults made by others. But still.

So Sinclair once again negotiates around the situation to try to find something that works to dissolve the tension, but the Vorlons show up to blow Deathwalker into rubble before her ship could get away. Kosh walks away with the comment, “You’re not ready for immortality,” which beyond being just a cool line, suggests that Vorlons are immortal.

Last edited by vacantlook; July 15th 17 at 05:31.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote