View Single Post
Old July 9th 17, 16:22   #22
Looney
Ambassador

Re: Rewatching Babylon 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
The War Prayer

So, the big surprising revelation about this episode is the conflicting information we get: in this episode Delenn knows what a poem is, but in some other (I forget which) she has to be told by Sinclair?Sheridan? what a poem is. What??

Though that discrepancy exists, of course it’s not important.
In fairness I think you are speaking about a moment from The Gathering, so you can't blame something from the pilot. Plus we are talking about a description given to her by Garibaldi. She may not have fully understood at that point that our word "poem" meant the same thing she knew as a poem because she was given a crude definition by Garibaldi.

Quote:
Humans are prejudiced against non-humans. Surprise. Of course it is so very realistic.
Yes this is quite a poignant message in this episode because it still holds true twenty plus years later.

Quote:
So, once again, we have a story of an ex coming to the station. This time, Ivanova’s. He isn’t really all that interesting of a character. He has no redeeming qualities to make him a complex portrayal, and he isn’t acted well enough to make him feel like an irredeemable asshole sort of a person. I do believe there are some people that are just too toxic that they’re not worth you trying to get through to them. But he’s not such a person. He seems far more like he’d be the kind of guy to agree with the militant bigots that would act against non-humans than to be leading such a group. The acting/writing of his character just doesn’t fully fit the intensity of someone who would be in that situation to act so directly.
This is another example where I wish the stories didn't have to be rushed an bottled up in one episode of television. If there hadn't been a need to put Tristan Rogers, the actor who played Malcolm Biggs, under a one episode contract we could have had this episode told properly. If Biggs had been introduced a couple of episodes earlier, and I really mean just an introduction that went no further than him tracking down Ivanova and telling her he was setting up shop, then I feel this plot would have played out so much better and more realistically. Don't get me wrong, it is a great plot. I feel it is something that could have been spread out more, but because actors guest shots need to be one and done or things get a little more complicated, ie a little more expensive, so why not shove everything into one episode and get it over with. You could have had attacks start and Biggs show up a few episodes earlier. He could have reconnected briefly with Ivanova so we know he is there for business and to see her. Then while the threat of the attacks is on going they could have dinner during an added scene in an earlier episode. Then bring in Shaal Mayan and the Centauri teens in the episode that wraps everything up. Instead of having the attacks and Biggs introduced in the same episode you could have used that time to give more depth to Mayan, her attack, the teens, and Sinclair's attempt to win Biggs' trust once it is revealed he is the ring leader. I feel the Sinclair bit in this episode is way too rushed unless we're all supposed to agree that Biggs is a Grade A Moron. All it would have taken is a couple of lines of dialogue and three or four Malcolm scenes spread out over a few previous episodes. Having said this I completely understand that we are talking about the world of television and money. Making the story work the best way possible only works if the budget says so.

Quote:
Centauri have arranged marriages. Londo’s got three wives. Worthy enough world building for the Centauri culture. The teenagers oh so in love are bland. I wish I bought that they were actually in love, but I don’t. I also don’t buy that Ivanova and Malcolm once had a thing, so at least they’re not alone.
Yes a great bit of Londo background. As far as the other aspects see my above comments.

Quote:
Oh, and it seems Ivanova has taken over Takashima’s regulation violating coffee plants. I wonder if she just found them one day, or if Laurel told her where to find them.
I have always wondered why Ivanova doesn't mention that her predecessor pointed out the coffee plants. Greatly disappointed that JMS didn't write that in.

Quote:
We get to see a bit more of Kosh. “We take no interest in the affairs of others.” Yeah, sure.
Wouldn't it have been great to see an attempted attack on Kosh?

Quote:
I think the only things I really like about this episode are a few lines/jokes by Londo. “Love! What does love have to do with marriage!!” and saying that his wives are the only thing that keeps him so far away from Centauri Prime. Londo: “And she will learn to live without [love].” And the poet responds, “As you did.” Those two lines are probably the most poignant part of this episode. I think that little moment is more emotional than the more labored tight shoes scene later.
I agree.

Quote:
This episode introduces the Abbai. Their visual design is nice; I wish they had been used more than they were. It would have been really cool though if they hadn’t been the same reddish-tan color a lot of background aliens on this show are (much the same color as the Brakiri, the Hyach). They’re fishy sort of aliens, so make them more colorful. Blues and greens that really pop.
Interesting question. I wonder if there was a budget question involved or a not wanting to seem too much like Star Trek question involved.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote