View Single Post
Old July 7th 17, 18:30   #17
Looney
Ambassador

Re: Rewatching Babylon 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Mind War
but that we should have a problem with the Corps.
Yep, prior to this it was kind of an "I don't know" about the Corps, but this episode definitely establishes - "Fear the Corps."

Quote:
This is the episode where we truly get our first realization that G’Kar is a very layered character.
Yes I think "truly" is the proper use here. This is the moment where G'Kar's layers really come out in an obvious manner. Personally I feel like G'Kar's best early moment that makes you question whether or not he is going to be the villain he has been to that point comes in Born To Purple. That whole episode gives G'Kar a lighter appearance, but the first moment is when Sinclair and G'Kar find Londo waiting to watch Adira dance. When Adira starts and Londo ushers the two of them to sit, G'Kar does so without hesitation. That moment is absolutely BRILLIANT to me.

Quote:
What was that I just said in the last review: they over use the trope of the ex coming to B5. Well here is Talia’s lover. (And instructor, which is creepy.)
Absolutely agree in this instance. Making him an ex-lover felt weird, but I completely understand why JMS had to do it. If Ironheart had just been a friend or admired Instructor the weight of the situation would not have felt as real. If she didn't have a romantic attachment to Ironheart I don't think it would have been as believable to have her help him. Plus as we moved forward we had to know the emotional stakes had to be high for her to turn on the Corps. If Ironheart had just been a friend then it wouldn't seem as real later on when she defends the Corps, if that makes sense. Plus this does establish her beginning to turn from the Corps.

Quote:
The PsiCops are freaky. Walter Koenig as Bester is fantastic. The man many had loved as Chekov on Star Trek is now a villain, and he makes everything super uncomfortable. The other PsiCop however sometimes even looks like she’s physically chewing her lines of dialog. Not the best casting there, perhaps.
Yes Felicity Waterman definitely seemed out of her element here. I don't know if it was her or poor direction or just not quite having a sense of how she was supposed to play it on both of their parts. I have to say that I feel like it is her because Koenig is so FREAKIN' AWESOME! If there was some question as to how they were supposed to play these characters I don't believe Bester would have been so spot on. I could be wrong though. Maybe Koenig just thought he should play it this way and she thought she was supposed to be a different sort. I will say the one thing that has always bothered me about this episode is that Ironheart vaporizes her. It just never made sense to me that he would go that far with her and pull back with Bester. It is one of those moments where they did it to illustrate what Ironheart could do, but at the same time it seemed to take the episode off course for a second. In the end it REALLY works because it makes certain she NEVER comes back. Nothing against Felicity Waterman, but the character just didn't come across as well as she could have.

Quote:
The human (or close enough) character becoming “something more” is a trope used so frequently it’s tiresome. It’s the necessary destination for this plot, but it doesn’t keep it from feeling cliché. I can’t remember how I felt about it at the time this episode was new though. But it enables Ironheart to give Talia her “gift.” The beginning of her ascent to greater telepathic power. Unfortunately, since Andrea Thompson eventually wanted off the show, she didn’t get to play this part of the plot to its conclusion seasons later.
This goes back to something I said the other day. Normally this would be a plot I didn't care for. Like vacantlook says, "cliche" and I often say "SciFi for SciFi sake", but of course JMS then takes a plot I wish he hadn't done and turns it into something that works very well for me, or could have worked very well had Thompson stuck with the show - (PS I love her, but I love Lyta more.)
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote