View Single Post
Old July 6th 17, 20:09   #7
vacantlook

Re: Rewatching Babylon 5.

Born To The Purple

So, Londo “falls in love.” Does he really though? Aside from being beautiful and giving him attention when he wants praise and admiration, what does Adira bring to the table to truly be a display of a loving relationship? Given that Londo is so into Adira is the central premise of this episode’s conflict, it really needs more time than a single episode for me to really buy their relationship. Unlike with many guest characters in season one, the actor playing Adira does well with what she has. Her slaveowner, however, is generic and uninteresting.

Ivanova’s talking to her dying father is nice in theory, but Garibaldi’s tracking her spends too much time metaphorically doing boring paperwork. And the actual acting from her father and accompanying music is a bit too melodramatic. And how conveniently timed that he should die just at that moment that she called.

“What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy!?” Even rougher episodes can have some funny moments.

I do like the scenery for the restaurant scene, even if it doesn’t add much of anything to the story. It’s something that today’s CGI would make way easier, but I would have liked to have seen even more of the full interior of the tube of the station in this show. The show doesn’t quite hit me with the immensity of the inside of the station and how odd it would feel to be standing there and look up and see buildings and people walking around on what sort of is like a far away ceiling from your perspective.

Oh, and this is our second sighting of n’grath. I like that they were interested in giving us a non-humanoid alien, but is he really an alien or is he just a giant bug?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote