View Single Post
Old July 12th 16, 10:31   #25
Springer
Ambassador

Re: Is it time to give season 5 another chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Quote:
I'm still not quite sure how, in the free and democratic society that the Alliance portrays, that Garibaldi, Delenn, Sheridan and JMS himself thought that spying with telepaths was an acceptable thing.
Part of the exploration is - will Sheridan make mistakes as well? Recall in the season two vision Sheridan is in a Psi Cop uniform; and he used the telepaths in the civil war. This is someone who says he hates what the Psi Corps stands for and does the same things. Good things like the Alliance can be created by those who have flaws. Sheridan isn't perfect.
Again, I have no problem with the principle of exploring this, it is the way it's being portrayed that's bothering me. It's the fact that as far as I recall, the show never indicates its a grey area and while there are repercussions involving the telepaths, for Sheridan and Delenn there's no pay-off later on in recognition of these dubious decisions they're making. I may be forgetting something, hence the reason I'm re-watching season 5 to refresh my opinion of it.

I guess the payoff might have been the storyline with their time-travelling son that never happened. But even so, it doesn't feel like a natural progression for their characters. If Sheridan is going to start to move towards becoming the thing he was fighting against, it's got to happen in a realistic way where it creeps up on him until one day he looks in the mirror and thinks, 'what happened to me? How did I become this person?' There's no angst, no tortured decision making, no slippery slope where he's forced to take certain dubious actions because he feels he has no choice. It's the same for Garibaldi and the others. They are decent people at heart so to see them casually make these choices doesn't seem true to who they are.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote