View Single Post
Old June 11th 16, 15:48   #5
Springer
Ambassador

Re: Is it time to give season 5 another chance?

The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari

No Compromises may have gone about its business at least with the best of intentions, but The Very Long Night of London Mollari is a step up in every department: dialogue, storytelling, direction, cinematography and acting. Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas are simply imperious in this and David Eagle directs them with panache. It feels like a stage play at times. No Compromises felt rushed, but here the dialogue, plot and characterisation all seems to be carefully considered. As much as No Compromises was about a new beginning, The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari depends very much on the events of the past four years.

It also feels like this episode could have appeared in a previous season. In parts it feels like the second season especially, from jovial Londo at the beginning, callbacks to The Long Twilight Struggle, and Vir and Lennier’s conversation in the Zocalo. This episode feels more like a familiar friend, more like the series we’d grown to love by this point. There’s a little bit of world-building too, with Centauri biology and culture, and it all builds on everything that has happened and his relationship with G’Kar, which for many is the crux of the entire series.

It has also been stated before that season five is less serial in nature than season 4 or even parts of season 3, furthering the comparisons with season 2: a new captain and more episodic stories. I’m aware that things will gradually become more serialised later on, however.

I have noticed in these first two episodes that Christopher Franke’s music feels a bit intrusive and over the top whereas before it had never been. It may just be a quirk of these two episodes, but as a fan of Franke’s music in general I’ll be listening out for this more in future episodes.

But overall this one is a winner and would grace any of the previous seasons. It feels very much like the good ol’ B5 of previous years.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote