View Single Post
Old August 12th 15, 19:12   #45
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post

Smuggling things into B5 seems fairly easy. Surely some dust and weapons dealers must realize that they can just put their drugs in a box and then hang out with the single guy in charge of checking it out before killing him. Or slip him a few bucks to wave them through. It was this guy's second day and he had sole, total control over what was allowed through or not.
Hah. Yea, that's weird. You can't even explain it away by saying "yea, there's usually more people but they were a bit short today and the other person just stepped out to use the restroom". If there had been anyone else nearby presumably they would have noticed the corpse before Nelson got the chance to pack up all his stuff and run for it. You'd also think that someone, somewhere would know that Nelson was the last person this security guard interacted with before collapsing.

Quote:
Speaking of, why hide the artifacts in the first place? He was visually inspecting the boxes, not running spectral scans and such. They'd have never been discovered to be organic on a visual inspection. Franklin didn't even know at first.
That's a good point. No one would have noticed. But, perhaps they were expecting tighter security?

Quote:
Not to mention, since when are organic things subjected to quarantines? People move freely, food moves freely, clothing (some of which must be organic) moves freely.... so what exactly are they quarantining?
Also a good point. Although maybe we don't know if food moves freely. We also don't know what people are asked about when they come in to the station. It looks as though everyone gets their ID checked, but that's about it. I don't see a lenghty customs form asking if you've touched any cows or have fruit in your bag, like when you come into the US in the RL present.

Quote:
Good thing Franklin was able to convert that ancient, heretofore unknown storage device into something capable of interfacing with the B5 computers and translate their language that quickly. I've had trouble converting documents between different versions of Word in the past.
I think quite a few of the B5 characters have such amazing skills, but we probably see it mostly from Franklin

Quote:
The machine was a fairly mindless killing machine. But wait, he was programmed with the thought patterns of the scientist that created him. Maybe if I say words to him... Yes! He's fully sentient and capable of understanding what he's done! ...Then why did he do it in the first place if he has a fully functioning personality with a conscience?

His gun gets 20% more powerful every time he uses it. Don't ask how, it just does. Remember how he just hit those two guys so hard they vaporized and left shadow imprints on the wall? Well, when his gun is 44% more powerful (at least, wasn't really counting) Sinclair is just thrown back a few feet. And the guy's engaging in fisticuffs, with a gun that can fire once and then needs to be recharged (except that we never really see him recharging or stopping between shots, so maybe it doesn't in spite of that being mentioned), why don't they just tackle him after he takes a shot?
Yea, all of that ... I tend to not pay too much attention when all of that is going on, and just go with "big monster, danger! Fight! Victory!" and move on.

Quote:
>Favorite student
Geez, it's like you've never even been to university. Didn't you know that a minimum of 10 archeology courses is required for every course path? Franklin obviously did the recommended 20, and when you spend that much time with a man... well, things happen. Don't judge their love.
Hah. I guess that would explain why Franklin doesn't think that an inappropriate relationship between, say, a medical doctor and their patient is a big deal ("The Long Dark").