View Single Post
Old August 11th 15, 15:58   #30
Wulf
Ranger

Re: EpDis: Born To The Purple

>video game
It seemed a Virish thing to do. I wasn't super-amused but it didn't take me out of the episode. At least, until they showed the front. Technology showing its age. I can understand not wanting to do some fancy sci fi VFX shot for it, but at least leave it to the imagination instead of showing us that it's lame.

>Fresh Air
...that makes sense. I'm apparently dumb and heard it as Freh Cher. Wunna them thar Frenchin' restronts....

>Gold Channel
I don't think it's ever a major plot point, but it comes up a few times over the series that civilian communications are expensive and unreliable. Military communications would need to be reliable to communicate in combat situations, but would likely have limited capacity.

It's the difference between a military "Red Phone" and Verizon placing a call. At least as I picture it.

Ivanova would use Gold Channel because her father will die at any minute. I can see that being important enough that you wouldn't want to get a "Please hang up and try your call again" midway through.

Also, it's a plot device, so there's that.

>Sinclair's laugh
Great Maker, none of these people know how to laugh. Garibaldi and Sinclair should get together and just laugh and laugh. That would be ****ing creepy to watch....

>Londo's disguise
I don't think it was supposed to hide that he was Centauri, just his hair. The longer a Centauri's hair, the higher his rank. Since he's probably the highest ranked Centauri on B5 it would be immediately obvious who he was even if nobody knew his face.

>matriarch
Patriarchal societies can still have matriarchs. Not in the full "leader of the family" sense, but they can still have power. In a society as willing to assassinate and blackmail as the Centauri, I could easily see a woman being the power behind the power and it being well known enough for her to have her own respect.

As for the rest of the episode, I'm getting out of the "setup" feeling so it was an enjoyable watch. Cheesy, not too exciting, but not too objectionable.

I'm sure that will all change soon as I think I've got Infection next. I don't remember much about it except for the lame racial purity commentary and it being the first episode filmed.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote