View Single Post
Old August 8th 15, 17:51   #69
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: The Parliament Of Dreams

There are some MINOR spoilers for later seasons of Babylon 5 below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L.U. View Post
I guess this might sound weird, but after a while I have really started to appreciate the smaller parts played by good actors. Like for instance Catherine's business partners in this episode. They are terrific!
I was just thinking the same thing. Those guys are really great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonn View Post
I wonder if Lennier would have killed him...

In this alternate universe of course.
This made me laugh out loud

I like the Parliament of Dreams. It's among my favorite early season 1 episodes, for sure. I think it's mostly the aesthetics that appeal to me. I really like the Minbari rebirth ceremony with Delenn in robes and all that. The Centauri gathering looks just like you'd expect a Centauri party to look, too.

I think that this festival, where all the alien races show off their "dominant belief systems" is a TERRIBLE idea. I'm guessing it's not just humans who have a long history of fighting bloody wars over that sort of thing. Unless all the groups invited to participate end up doing something like Sinclair came up with, I feel like there's going to be some conflict about who gets to perform THEIR service and represent their people. Even with the Sinclair solution, I could imagine some people being unhappy with their place in the lineup. I understand the sentiment behind it, but it seems like a terrible idea in practice. Exactly something you'd expect from Earth Central

Random stuff and things:
  • Garibaldi is SO offensive. I have commented on that before, presumably in the thread for "Convictions", where he makes fun of a Drazi's religion. Pretty much any time we see him at customs he is doing something horribly offensive. There must be so many complaints about him
  • G'Kar is wealthy and/or REALLY well connected. I know that that isn't exactly news, but it stood out so clearly to me for the first time that he has things other people on the station don't. That meal he is eating! Everyone else complains about how expensive everything is and how hard it is to get such and such food item. No problem for G'Kar. He's just casually eating a whole pig head (or whatever that is) for dinner. It's not a feast or a banquet or anything, it's just his normal dinner that he's eating by himself. See also "Whatever the price, I'll double it"
  • Speaking of G'Kar, it also didn't really occur to me that during the course of the show, he has two scenes in which someone is trying to get him to scream and he says "I would die before giving you the satisfaction".
  • "So many fishes left in the sea" will also make another appearance
  • I love the introduction of both Na'Toth and Lennier. They're so different and both so excellent in their own way. I love "I can't have an aide who will not look up". It just seems like a thing Delenn would say to him, but again, later we'll get to see how it was said to her when she was an acolyte.
  • I think "I don't mean to alarm you but your pants are talking to you" is a great line. I've had the opportunity to use it IRL a few times.
  • Speaking of Catherine Sakai, I like the character a lot, and I was sad that we didn't get to see her again past the first season.
  • She bought .. flarn?
  • There's a lot of information about all the characters in this episode. Not a small amount of that in the Minbari ceremony when we get to see how everyone reacts to being given a strange piece of fruit. I love that!