View Single Post
Old August 8th 15, 02:36   #48
Springer
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Midnight On The Firing Line

For the record I love the style of space battle in Midnight (or MotFL if you prefer!). It made Sinclair look like an excellent pilot. So I thought it was a shame that style pretty much disappeared later on for a more Star Wars style, as great as that was. I guess it did slow things down too much though.

I always found the season openers to have a strange feel to them. It's kind of hard to explain, just something about their tone, as though it takes the series a couple of episodes to find its groove while the season opener tries new things out.

I do like Midnight but when you dissect it as you've done it really does reveal some flaws, like it's trying too hard. The dialogue is very expository, stuff like Londo going after G'kar with a gun does, I agree, feel very un-Londo like, as though it is there just to provide some more thrills to the episode.

One of the things I liked about it was that there was an election.You'd never see that in Star Trek! The election, and the presence of bars and restaurants and news channels automatically made B5 feel more real than Star Trek. I also think Sinclair comes across well in this episode. I like his little talk with Ivanova – "Focus on what you see" – and with G'Kar "You want me, you know where to find me". He has the diplomatic skills of Picard but also the 'go get em' attitude of Kirk.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote