View Single Post
Old May 15th 15, 17:18   #28
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Objects At Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Delenn's flaw showed up before the show. In a moment of rage she started a genocidal war and then she let herself get swept up in the tide of events. The Delenn we met was learning to force events to her wishes.

Jan
Ah yes, THAT minor detail
The "Delenn's was the deciding vote on the war with Earth" reveal is an interesting example in the discussion on Lennier's character. It's a reveal that comes along fairly late in the story and shows a side of Delenn we're not at all familiar with. You'd think that that might seem out of character, but it really doesn't. It's easy to see both how it happened, and how she got from "there" to "here".

At least, that's how I feel about that character.

As for her sort of manipulation of people and events leading up to the Shadow War, she truly believes that she is on the side of Light and that she is employing the best possible strategy to save the universe from total destruction. Of course lots of really terrible people do really terrible things believing they are doing the Right thing, so I don't say that as an excuse for her. I don't claim it's not a fault or a failing, just that it fits with her devotion to her cause. Also I guess I feel her "crimes" are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. I don't think she can be blamed for what happened to Narn, for example.