View Single Post
Old May 3rd 15, 18:28   #54
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Day Of The Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaded View Post

Excellent insight on Jan's part. This is exactly what women do. They want the rough and tough powerful guy but they also want the sensitive guy to still be on their chain. I've seen it many times. I've been on the chain. I remember back in the '70s we had a saying; "Nice guys don't get laid." The cheerleader still loves to be with the quarterback but she also wants the nerd to help her with her homework and wash her car. In my mind I saw Delenn above that but no, she's a chick.

We used to call it the "Double X disease." But I'm not even sure if Minbari have DNA.

SHAME on Delenn, but yeah. Great point Jan!
I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but either way that's a VERY uncomfortable read. It's generally a good idea to not make jokes that are indistinguishable from your run-of-the-mill, regular misogyny (or any other hateful speech), especially on a public forum like this, where you don't know the people who are reading your words. At least two of us here can't tell whether that was misogyny or an attempt to mock misogyny, so it just added to the general misogynist background noise of the internet.

Just a few quick points for anyone taking that stuff seriously:
  • women are human beings
  • not all women are cheerleaders
  • cheerleaders are individuals, with distinct personalities
  • Not all nerds are male
  • This type of generalization makes no sense. If you wouldn't conclude that "all men are X" based on one asshole screwing you over, why would you conclude that "all women are X" based on one asshole screwing you over?

I come here to talk about my favorite sci fi show, not to debate whether women are people. I can go do that pretty much anywhere else, even though that clearly is a fact that shouldn't ever be up for debate.
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote