View Single Post
Old May 3rd 15, 17:00   #53
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: EpDis: Day Of The Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaded View Post
Excellent insight on Jan's part. This is exactly what women do. They want the rough and tough powerful guy but they also want the sensitive guy to still be on their chain. I've seen it many times. I've been on the chain. I remember back in the '70s we had a saying; "Nice guys don't get laid." The cheerleader still loves to be with the quarterback but she also wants the nerd to help her with her homework and wash her car. In my mind I saw Delenn above that but no, she's a chick.

We used to call it the "Double X disease." But I'm not even sure if Minbari have DNA.

SHAME on Delenn, but yeah. Great point Jan!
Wow, that was certainly unexpected. And quite unwelcome. I never expected or thought it likely that a comment about a fictional character would unleash such a vitriolic reaction against women. How...distasteful.

For pete's sake, Delenn underwent an enormous transformation and was shunned by almost everyone she knew. Only one person near to her knew her involvement in the E/M war. Her conscience caused her to be responsible for breaking the backbone of Minbari society. Is it any wonder she wanted her dearest friend close to her?? No, she very much shouldn't have done anything at all to encourage him once she realized his love for her but it's certainly understandable and hardly worthy of a simplistic and misogynist "This is exactly what women do." Any man would have probably done the same. Or don't they get lonely?

That said, and not to drag the thread too far off track, the wonderful thing about the B5 characters is that they're *human*, no matter how alien. Sheridan's unconsciously prejudiced against Lyta due to her not being in the military *and* being a telepath. Franklin's a bit of a shallow womanizer when not obsessed with his work as a doctor. Ivanova's so repressed she might shatter. G'Kar's anger almost destroyed him. Londo's misguided ambition almost tore his planet apart. Marcus was a martyrdom looking for a place to die. Need I go on?

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote