View Single Post
Old May 3rd 15, 01:55   #49
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: EpDis: Day Of The Dead

Next time you watch 'Meditations on the Abyss', watch the scene between Delenn and Lennier when she assigns him his mission. Delenn breaks the finger of they guy threatening her and Lennier finishes the fight. He reminds her that he's sworn to never leave her and he'll be at her side no matter the cost. Then there's the talk about how it was necessary to keep things from Sheridan and Lennier asks Delenn what she wants of him and there's a spark of wild hope there until she tells him it's a mission and he bows his head to get his composure. Delenn strokes his cheek when she asks about the scar on his face. When he wants to go to the White Star, she wants him to stay because she hasn't seen him for so long. and holds his chin when she tells him she could never think of him betraying the Anla'shok.

It's only four episodes later when he declares his love for her in 'The Fall of Centauri Prime' and she says "I know".

No, I really don't think she was trying to keep him on the hook but she was lonely for a friend and knew that she could count on him so she (in my opinion) behaved badly, almost cruelly by behavior like I described above. Far kinder would be for her to have just let him go to the Rangers and try to forget her.

The Lennier you see in this episode isn't the mild-mannered innocent acolyte we'd originally met. He'd talked himself into thinking that his love was 'nobler and purer', probably right up to the point when Delenn married Sheridan. From then on he referred to John as 'your partner' instead of 'your husband'. His expression changed when he looked at the picture of John and Delenn when he came to help them move to Minbar.

I had a feeling something bad was going to happen when I saw Lennier's expression when John came back from Z'ha'dum. He was very much *not* pleased at all. The signs were there - subtle, but there.

Jan.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote